Which Montesorris assist your 3yr old wiping their butt???

Etinchen

Went to Northwood Montesorri today and they have a zero tolerance on potty training. I understand the kid has to be dependent, however they don't even have potty time and also many of my friends kids (3 plus) have crapped their pants many times.

Welcome to the Montessori way.  I've read about this very issue in a few yelp reviews.  It's either sink or swim with Montessori. 

When my wife and I visited Northwood Montessori, we were not impressed during our tour (least impressive of all the schools we visited, that said, part of that is just the "sales pitch" I presume it is actually a solid school/daycare. Seemed like there were plenty of happy kids there. Our daughter goes to Leport and we love it (as does she), but I have never specifically asked about butt wiping and I'm not aware of any issues my daughter has had (she isn't 3, although she is potty trained, and the school played an integral part in the training). 

Bullsback said:
When my wife and I visited Northwood Montessori, we were not impressed during our tour (least impressive of all the schools we visited, that said, part of that is just the "sales pitch" I presume it is actually a pretty solid school. Seemed like there were plenty of happy kids there. Our daughter goes to Leport and we love it (as does she), but I have never specifically asked about butt wiping and I'm not aware of any issues my daughter has had (she isn't 3, although she is potty trained, and the school played an integral part in the training).

LePort is unbelievably expensive though...close to $2,000 a month if you add in early and afternoon child care IIRC

Irvinecommuter said:
Bullsback said:
When my wife and I visited Northwood Montessori, we were not impressed during our tour (least impressive of all the schools we visited, that said, part of that is just the "sales pitch" I presume it is actually a pretty solid school. Seemed like there were plenty of happy kids there. Our daughter goes to Leport and we love it (as does she), but I have never specifically asked about butt wiping and I'm not aware of any issues my daughter has had (she isn't 3, although she is potty trained, and the school played an integral part in the training).

LePort is unbelievably expensive though...close to $2,000 a month if you add in early and afternoon child care IIRC
When we looked at the different schools, the difference between LePort and others wasn't that much.  Not sure what close to 2K is, but we pay about $500 less than that. Yes, expensive, but in general, seemed like all the schools we looked at in Irvine were between 1250-1600 or so.  I do agree that it is pricey, but at the same time, I have friends that live in New York and Chicago and they think what I pay is a bargain.  And for most they were all within $150-$200, which is basically the price of cable / internet, so my rule was, if my wife liked one way more then the others (and I tended to agree, plus quite a few of my friends had nothing but great things to say from there experiences), than thankfully I'm in a position where I can make a sacrifice elsewhere (drive a little crappier care, own a little crappier house, whatever that might be). 

Some of the preschools have longevity discounts so you don't pay the market/advertised rate, but a lesser rate.

To add to it, Northwood Montessori was actually our first choice as it had lunch (vs. Le Port which had catering). We ended up going with LePort because we didn't want to wait  (and eventually missing out on the waitlist call from getting accepted because we were out of the country).

I'm surprise to hear the child are left to their own devices though. LePort also required our toddler to be potty trained but like all other daycare, we provided extra just-in-case clothing, and I think they did help out once when our daughter had an upset stomach.

As for cost, I think its comparable in Irvine, but LePort does add up if you add in early/afternoon care as mentioned, plus they do have lots of misc fees. You can "save" a bit from some of these by prepaying tuition (starting from the first year, knocks price down by 3%?), which also locks in your future tuition rates too.

They also have financial aid available >https://www.leportschools.com/enroll/financial-aid/faq/

No clue how often its utilized or granted.

Bullsback said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Bullsback said:

When we looked at the different schools, the difference between LePort and others wasn't that much.  Not sure what close to 2K is, but we pay about $500 less than that. Yes, expensive, but in general, seemed like all the schools we looked at in Irvine were between 1250-1600 or so.  I do agree that it is pricey, but at the same time, I have friends that live in New York and Chicago and they think what I pay is a bargain.  And for most they were all within $150-$200, which is basically the price of cable / internet, so my rule was, if my wife liked one way more then the others (and I tended to agree, plus quite a few of my friends had nothing but great things to say from there experiences), than thankfully I'm in a position where I can make a sacrifice elsewhere (drive a little crappier care, own a little crappier house, whatever that might be).

I guess it depends on the LePort you go to but I recall the tuition for the LePort in OH Center to be like $1600 plus $300+ for before and after care.  Then you have the extras like language classes.

Most of the other places in Irvine are expensive as well but not so high.  GS is $1240/$1360 for 3 year olds...Woodbury Montesorri is $1310 with full day care.

I commend you for sacrificing for your child and glad that you are happy with your choice of daycare!

I should point out, I'm referring to toddler pricing, but for primary costs actually decrease slightly so again, not sure. I didn't look at OH Leport, but I thought all Irvine Leport's had the same pricing and than there are discounts for pre-paying, multiple children, etc. 

But I think what is most important is that people pick whatever school they (and there child) is ultimately comfortable with.  If someone asked me whether I recommend LePort, I'd give rave reviews, but its also the only school I know.  My son will start there in another year and hopefully I will still feel that way when he starts and eventually when they both leave. 

I do look forward to the day that I will no longer have to pay any of those bills.

Speaking of montessori, I have noticed that "montessori" in irvine is very wide ranging.  Some don't seem to follow the Montessori principles fully. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Montessori = 4 year pre college tuition

And there are no scholarships! :(
In reality it goes to show, if you can afford preschool, no reason you can't afford saving for college. That said, I don't know how the teachers could do it. I have enough trouble with my two little ones, can't imagine being one of two teachers with a class full of 10 or 12 little one's. 

bones said:
Speaking of montessori, I have noticed that "montessori" in irvine is very wide ranging.  Some don't seem to follow the Montessori principles fully.

Montesorri principles are pretty broad...essentially they emphasis kids learning at their own pace, mixed ages, and hands on play.  There is a Montessori program that the instructors have to go through but other than that, it's open for interpretation.

Some Montesorri hired credentialed instructors/teachers while others don't.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

Montesorri principles are pretty broad...essentially they emphasis kids learning at their own pace, mixed ages, and hands on play.  There is a Montessori program that the instructors have to go through but other than that, it's open for interpretation.

Yea I get that part, but theres some "montessori" schools in Irvine that I feel just use the Montessori name to draw in parents b/c that's what popular at the moment.  Not saying they don't practice the Montessori principles, but they deviate from it more than they should if they're supposed to be "montessori".  Just my opinion.

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

Yea I get that part, but theres some "montessori" schools in Irvine that I feel just use the Montessori name to draw in parents b/c that's what popular at the moment.  Not saying they don't practice the Montessori principles, but they deviate from it more than they should if they're supposed to be "montessori".  Just my opinion.

Probably...but they have to be "certified" to use the name. I doubt most parents really know what "Montessori" really means or stands for when they put their kids in.

Bullsback said:
irvinehomeowner said:

In reality it goes to show, if you can afford preschool, no reason you can't afford saving for college. That said, I don't know how the teachers could do it. I have enough trouble with my two little ones, can't imagine being one of two teachers with a class full of 10 or 12 little one's. 

I used to wonder this myself. Have you visited your kids class during the day? I've checked out a couple of classes at my daughters Montessori and the control the teacher (with assistants) has over 16 kids is crazy. In class my daughter puts all of her toys away (or whatever she is using). She comes home and it's like she forgets everything she learned at school. I thought about just stealing one of the teachers or aides to be our nanny.

qwerty said:
Bullsback said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I used to wonder this myself. Have you visited your kids class during the day? I've checked out a couple of classes at my daughters Montessori and the control the teacher (with assistants) has over 16 kids is crazy. In class my daughter puts all of her toys away (or whatever she is using). She comes home and it's like she forgets everything she learned at school. I thought about just stealing one of the teachers or aides to be our nanny.
Yeah, when I've visited, I was amazed at the complete control that they have.  Have total respect for what they do. Let me just put it this way, I absolutely couldn't do it full time.  With my two, I am under a controlled chaos with a pure focus of making sure no one gets hurt (just over 2.5 and almost 1) haha. 

Honestly, I feel the school is as much for us as it is for our kids.  I'm far more in control at homes thanks to having our kids in day care (just learning some of there tips, etc) than I would be otherwise (and that isn't to say we were horrible parents, just like anything, you are learning as you go by and large, and these teachers are just serious pro's with tons of experience vs. ignorant parents doing this for there first time or second time ever so there perspectives are so helpful and help you be a better parent, imo). 

Especially me, who had really never dealt with kids my whole life until having kids. First baby I ever held was my own.  I never appreciated the work that went into being a parent until I had kids. Gave me much more appreciation for what my parents had to do, etc.  Totally amazing, but not without lots and lots of work. Makes my day job seem like a walk in a park. 

qwerty said:
I've checked out a couple of classes at my daughters Montessori and the control the teacher (with assistants) has over 16 kids is crazy. In class my daughter puts all of her toys away (or whatever she is using).
Sounds like a cult. No child naturally puts toys away.

Back