Which high school is better?

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned university high. Greatschools.net shows it has higher rating and score that northwood, but when I check the house prices around it the house prices does not seem to be as high as other parts or Irvine. Is it because these are older houses?

<p>There's more to a value of a home than what school it's close to. As much as I care about good schools, I don't think it's necessary to go to the best ones.</p>

<p>It's just a good idea to stay away from the bad ones.</p>

Funny that Mater Dei and High School of the Arts (private schools like USC) are in very poor areas. Anyone know what the private schools are like in Irvine?

There are private K-12 schools in Irvine?

Anyway, my thoughts on schools for the kids. . . If the school has a solid academic track, and you make that a priority for your kid, it's gonna happen for them. I went to Foothill, in the Tustin District. Basically, it's a segregated school-- with respect to class. I did my honors and AP, got into UCLA-- it worked out well. My siblings both went Ivy League. The North Tustin money contributed funds earmarked for academic purposes. True, there were kids there that were basically just warehoused, but you didn't really interact with them. There are complicated social issues with this, and you can get as political as you would like with that.

When I saw the campus of Northwood, I thought it was amazing. I really would have loved to go to a school that looked like it was out of a TV show. Purely anecdotally, I feel like the Irvine Schools are a little homogeneous. Yeah, you get the high API scores when everyone is working so hard, but I don't know, I think there's more that matters than that.

Again, my prediction about a school thread becoming a discussion about Asians has come true. So, yay for that.

Bottom line, I'd just say look for a school where there seems to be a solid academic track. . . high numbers of honors and ap courses offered. . . community involvement., parents caring. Be a good parent. Get the kid a little therapy-- best investment ever. Those things are going to make the difference. If you think you're gonna get the kid in anywhere because of the school, you're barking up the wrong tree.

<p>We live in a capitalistic, segregated society. Wealthy people will migrate towards the nicer areas resulting in better schools due to greater parental support. In Orange County, that would be Newport, Irvine, Huntington, Villa Park, and Fountain Valley. Poorer people are left in the less desirable neighborhoods resulting in underperforming schools with limited resources and assistance from the families - cities such as Anaheim, Garden Grove, Orange, Tustin, Costa Mesa, and Westminster. I don't think we can ever truly level the playing field for everyone.</p>

<i>"Funny that Mater Dei and High School of the Arts (private schools like USC) are in very poor areas. Anyone know what the private schools are like in Irvine?"</i><p>

Not that it makes a huge difference, but in case anybody is thinking of Orange County High School of the Arts, it is a public school. It is a public charter school, and previously it was in a nice neighborhood, Los Alamitos, and moved to it's present location in Santa Ana about eight years ago.<p>

OCHSA is much better academically and socially than Mater Dei.

Mater Dei's score has slipped and no longer recorded for the public. This school for the wealthy kids of Newport is trying very hard to hide its test score. Since it is not a public school they do not have to publish the scores.

Back