Which credit card do you use the most?

Got my chase sapphire reserve, didn't get much credit limit, must be near the max with Chase.  Now to decided if I should cancel the preferred card... 

ps9 said:
Got my chase sapphire reserve, didn't get much credit limit, must be near the max with Chase.  Now to decided if I should cancel the preferred card... 

How does the first 3 months 4K spend work?  Do they track by date you opened account so if you opened today, you need to spend 4K by nov 4, dec 4 and Jan 4?

bones said:
ps9 said:

How does the first 3 months 4K spend work?  Do they track by date you opened account so if you opened today, you need to spend 4K by nov 4, dec 4 and Jan 4?

You gotta spend that amount within the first 3 months, not each month.

3 months from the first date you're approved.  haven't received the card yet, just logged in and noticed the new account.  I always email/chat with their customer service to verify when i need to charge the $4k by.  I usually hit $4k in the first two months with just regular spending, so shouldn't be that hard.  I'm holding off on my wife getting the card since we probably won't meet the requirements with two cards active.  Hopefully we'll have close to 500k in points (1 year accumulation with chase sapphire preferred/unlmited/freedom/reserve) before we get into the peak summer travels next year.

ps9 said:

Most I've heard are people downgrading the preferred card into the chase freedom card (a card with no annual fee) and just using the sapphire reserve.  Apparently you can do it over the phone in 5 mins

ps9 said:
Anyone applied for TSA pre check or Global entry?  Trying to decided which one to apply for.
Tsa is cheaper and don't need to make appointment to interview.
Global is like 20 bucks more, includes Tsa, but you need to make appointment for interview. Lax, Long Beach is like 4-5 months out. San Diego is about 2 months. Calexico is like next day, lol

Don't cancel it, I would do a Product Change (PC) request to keep your AAoA intact and get quarterly bonuses.  I plan to do just that even though I already have a Freedom card (which they will let you do) so you can double dip on the quarterly bonuses. 

SoclosetoIrvine said:
ps9 said:

Most I've heard are people downgrading the preferred card into the chase freedom card (a card with no annual fee) and just using the sapphire reserve.  Apparently you can do it over the phone in 5 mins

I applied for Global Entry (GE), but appointment times are slim.  I just happened to get lucky and find a spot in November at DFW since I have a layover there while on a trip.  If you decide to do GE, i would login and check appointments 2-3x a day as people are constantly rescheduling their appointments, opening up earlier spots.  They go quick though.

ps9 said:
Anyone applied for TSA pre check or Global entry?  Trying to decided which one to apply for.

peppy said:
bones said:
ps9 said:

You gotta spend that amount within the first 3 months, not each month.

Oh wow. I totally misread that. And here I am. Swiping my reserve like a madman.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you activate your priority pass airport lounge access membership.  its under card benefits in your ultimate rewards chase sapphire reserve site.

think i'll sign up for TSA pre check, should save some time at LAX.  Kids under 12 are not required.  Will have to wait to sign up my wife for it.  can be done at the John Wayne TSA terminal I assume?

ps9 said:
think i'll sign up for TSA pre check, should save some time at LAX.  Kids under 12 are not required.  Will have to wait to sign up my wife for it.  can be done at the John Wayne TSA terminal I assume?

Yes. Takes all of 10 mins if you make an appt.

ps9 said:

I have an appointment this week for TSA precheck in Newport. You can do it at John Wayne as well. It said the interview/background check is 10 minutes.

qwerty said:
ps9 said:

I have an appointment this week for TSA precheck in Newport. You can do it at John Wayne as well. It said the interview/background check is 10 minutes.

I went at 10am to john wayne no appt. 5 min

Finally got my 100k bonus points with Chase Sapphire Reserve.  But I messed up on the $300 annual travel credit.  Didn't read the fine print, but the travel credit resets annually in December.  So I got the card in Oct. and had about two months to use up $300 in travel before Dec.  Of course I did not because I was thinking it would reset next October on my cards 1 year anniversary date.  Now I'm out about $300 in credit and got charged the $450 annual fee.  Arghhhh :(

ps9 said:
Finally got my 100k bonus points with Chase Sapphire Reserve.  But I messed up on the $300 annual travel credit.  Didn't read the fine print, but the travel credit resets annually in December.  So I got the card in Oct. and had about two months to use up $300 in travel before Dec.  Of course I did not because I was thinking it would reset next October on my cards 1 year anniversary date.  Now I'm out about $300 in credit and got charged the $450 annual fee.  Arghhhh :(

Prob would have missed this too but apparently fastrak is travel so I got my credit. Woohoo!

I got a measly $25 credit on my fastrak in October, still forfeited $275.  I hate losing free money.  And the only reason I noticed is because I charged the card recently at a hotel stay and got a full $300 credit and was wondering why since I already got $25. 

And for those who wants to convert your chase sapphire preferred to chase freedom or freedom unlimited:  you'll have to wait about a year before they let you.  But you have a narrow window to do so before you get charged the annual fee of $95 near the anniversary date.  For me I can convert on 4/14 and my annual fee will be charged in May, so I have about two weeks to do it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is cutting its sign up bonus in half.  Apply before 1/11 to get the current 100k point bonus.  Chase lost about $200 million in profits due to the new card according to Dimon.

Back