Where to donate furniture and appliances?

sikari

We are updating our furniture, as well as some appliances. The old ones all work great, but are just outdated.  Is there any charity that would come to pick them up?  I heard that Good Will charges a fee for picking up.

TIA

Donate them to Salvation Army if they are in "new" or "like new" condition. For well-loved items, the furniture and appliance deliverers usually offer to haul the old stuff away when they bring your new items. Discuss it when you make your purchase. You can receive $35 for letting Edison pick up your old ice box or freezer if it's between 10 and 32 cubic feet: SCE recycling program

I also heard that Salvation Army only takes new items. My stuff is definitely not new. 

Thanks for the information.

Another option is Habitat For Humanity.  I'm remolding my entire house and they do take sinks and old appliances.  Appliances has to be within 6 or 8 years old. 

Reactions: rkp
Called a few places, looks like donating old furniture in good condition is a PITA.  You'll have to leave it on the curb, the driver will inspect it and if it is worthy of pick up then will take it.  What if he leaves it?  Didn't want to take that chance and decided to get rid of it via WM.  So to request a bulk pick up go here:
https://www.wm.com/myaccount/reportProblem.do?action=bulkPickupRequest

You get two bulk pickups per year (not sure if its a rolling count or resets on Jan. 1) and max of 4 items per pick up.  WM will pick up on your normal scheduled day of the week but will send a different truck (unless they can fork my old sectional into a dumpster truck, that will be fun to watch). 

So shoved my two piece sectional onto the curb this morning along with my old grill.  A good workout, all fingers intact, only a bruised shin. 

It doesn't rollover... they are WM not AT&T.

What places did you call?

Did you try CraigsList? People take old stuff for free all the time.

Salvation army, and one of those flyer companies, forgot the name.  Didn't want to do MurderList

Sometimes, I  just set stuff on the curb in front of my house with a sign that says, "FREE". It's always gone within an hour or two.

Disposing of old furniture is too difficult. I pay the delivery guys some cash and they take the furniture they are replacing.

Not the living spaces guys, I believe it's their own delivery people instead of being subcontracted out to another company.  Anyone else probably could've taken it with a tip of course. 

But then they had 11 more deliveries after me so probably a full truck.

ps9 said:
Not the living spaces guys, I believe it's their own delivery people instead of being subcontracted out to another company.  Anyone else probably could've taken it with a tip of course. 

It is the living spaces guys, the last time they were hear the delivered a sectional and took a sectional. It was one of their last deliveries so I'm sure that helped

Murderlist isn't that bad when it comes to used furniture. Not many want to scam you for something that bulky but you do have to meet them at your house which is a non-starter for me. When we moved, I used craigslist to sell a bunch of old furniture but met at my old place after we already moved out.

I've also tried the curbside "free" sign without much success. I think it depends if your street gets much traffic. Or maybe I didn't time it right with the gardeners, etc.

If the item is small enough, I've found gardeners and/or house cleaners will sometimes take it.

For hoarder level clean out, you can hire a junk company to take your stuff. Depending on how much stuff, can run a couple hundred dollars.

qwerty said:
ps9 said:

It is the living spaces guys, the last time they were hear the delivered a sectional and took a sectional. It was one of their last deliveries so I'm sure that helped

Good to know, next time I'll schedule it later in the day instead of the 9-12 slot, maybe they'll take it then.  How much you tip for the sectional haulaway? $40-50?

ps9 said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:

Good to know, next time I'll schedule it later in the day instead of the 9-12 slot, maybe they'll take it then.  How much you tip for the sectional haulaway? $40-50?

close, i gave them $60, but $40-$50 will likely get it done.  The couches are light and they do that shit all day, cant see them refusing $40-50.

Salvation Army - you have to schedule in advance, I leave the items outside the day of pick up, so I don't have to be home.

Just to sidetrack a bit, I think the Living Spaces guys are contractors.

I knew a guy whose family's trucking service had a Living Spaces contract.

Depending on your HOA, I would put the stuff out with a 'FREE' sign a few days before the WM trash pickup, if it walks away on its own, then call WM to cancel the pick up.

As for Craigslist, same thing, put the ad out and the stuff out (if you're not selling it) for a few days and see if it disappears.

Another option is a community site called NextDoor.com. Not sure if your neighborhood is on it but you can post that you are giving away your furniture there.

My neighbor had his coffee table on his driveway for a few days. Saw his gardener checking it out and then 2 days later it was gone... so QwertersList could work too.

So WM took away my couch of 9+years.. Kinda sad watching it being sent up to couch heaven:

the special WM truck came close to 6pm, it has a front scooper for the driver to load up the bulky items, then flip a switch and up it goes into the bowel of the truck.  Assume it has some sort of death star compactor in the belly as I heard a lot of crunching noises.  Wished I recorded the whole thing, it was unique and made my night.  Goodbye Wickes Furniture couch and hello Living spaces sectional.

WM has fast responses with customer service email, I kept bothering them all day because I was getting nervous of them not picking up my couch, didn't want to piss off the neighbors and was blocking my driveway and have to park on the street.  So WM will tell you to have the items curbside by 6am day of (yeah right, bet my driver is still sleeping at that time) and will pick up by 6pm. 

If you have good, friendly neighbors, and you need to call WM more than 2 times, see if they're going to use their two calls.  If not, ask if they would let you use one of their calls?  Or at least buy them beer for it?  :p  We rarely call WM for large pickups.

I try not to have strangers come over for Craigslist or similar things for obvious reasons.

Back