Where in OC...

[quote author="Cameray" date=1254584166]Anita's in Fullerton?</blockquote>

Nope! But, it does <a href="http://www.anitasfullerton.com/">make me want to try Anita's</a>.

Here is a hint: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixa_orellana">Achiote is involved</a>.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1254585751][quote author="Cameray" date=1254584166]Anita's in Fullerton?</blockquote>

Nope! But, it does <a href="http://www.anitasfullerton.com/">make me want to try Anita's</a>.

Here is a hint: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixa_orellana">Achiote is involved</a>.</blockquote>

I love me some mexican food and i REALLY love me some New Mexican food...Anita's isn't bad but it's not quite authentic- we do go there sometimes but it's just not the same, in my opinion. I will say that they have some killer sopapillas. Ya...delicious.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1254570205]Would you find these tamales?

</blockquote>

I wish I could say in my tummy, but alas...

Ok, woven placemat and <a href="http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/d034/index.cfm?pkey=cdinnerware&ckey=dinnerware">William Sonoma Brasserie collection</a> plate.... (No, I'm not all knowing about dishware, I just happened to really like these dishes and yearned for them for years but couldn't justify the price or yet another set of plates.)

Are they... homemade?

Thanks Graph.

I was just starting to think about lunch too.

Now I guess its going to be Mexican for sure today.

Hope the place these are from is local.

They sure look great.

For sure it is not from the Kogi Taco Truck. The portion is too big. The Korean dude taking the order probably look at the length of the line and adjust the meat quantity in the taco. Shorter line= more meat. Long line=less meat.

they look very good and authentic, soooo where is this place?

Don't be a "Soup Nazi" or better a "Tamales Nazi"

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1254609139]Ok, woven placemat and <a href="http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/d034/index.cfm?pkey=cdinnerware&ckey=dinnerware">William Sonoma Brasserie collection</a> plate.... (No, I'm not all knowing about dishware, I just happened to really like these dishes and yearned for them for years but couldn't justify the price or yet another set of plates.)

Are they... homemade?</blockquote>

We have a winner! Sort of... the place-mats are from Pier 1 and the dishes are from Linen and Things, but the tamales are homemade. Sorry to disappoint those who wanted to find these yummy things in OC at a restaurant. Looks like I will, at least, have to have EvaL and OhNelly over the next time I make them. Cayci has been on this cooking show kick, and Rick Bayless went to the Yucatan to find out how to make these. I winged it from a cross between how they were made in the Yucatan and how they were made at his home. I opted to not dig a hole in the ground with hot rocks to steam them, since I thought my neighbors would call the fire department and how it would be easier to use the grill. Being a man, I love using the grill to cook, so that is how I did them. For the Irvinites who never leave their bubble, you may need to suck it up and venture off to the ghetto for some of the ingredients. Tamales are not as difficult as some elude to, and if you plan appropriately not that time consuming either.

Ingredients:

1&1/2 to 2 lbs. of pork. (I used shoulder meat typically used for stews)

1 3.5oz or 100 grams of <a href="http://www.mexgrocer.com/3118.html">achiote paste</a>. (Can be found in some grocery stores. No promises for Irvine stores though)

1 cup of lemon juice (Orange juice or lime juice can be used or a mixture of all juices would be yummy too)

2 cups of water

Masa (See below for a tip to get this pre-made)

Banana leaves (You can find these easily in the freezer section of a Mexican market and they are dirt cheap)

Orange juice to add to the sauce later.

Garnishes:

Sour cream

Cilantro

Cojita cheese.

I'm lucky that <a href="http://www.fiestamexicanamarket.com/Landing.aspx">Fiesta Market</a> is down the way from Cayci's place. So most of the ingredients were easily obtained. Here is what I did:

Add 1 cup of lemon juice, 2 cups of water and 3.5 oz of achiote paste. Break it down, and marinate the pork in it overnight.

Take a disposable aluminum baking pan and add the pork and marinade to it. Cook it on the BBQ or oven until done. (you can do this as you grill something else to save time)

Remove pork to another bowl and let it cool. Save the sauce in the pan. Then put both in the fridge until you are ready to make the tamales.

We bought pre-made masa at the market, this saves a load of time and frankly is better than I or you can make. DO IT! Now...

Chop up the pork as finely as possible and trim the fat.

Rinse the banana leaves in warm water to defrost. Cut the outside reed from the leaf, you will use this to tie the banana leaves around the tamales. Cut/rip the leaves in a size that will wrap around your tamales. Then, heat the leaves on an open flame over the stove until they become slightly translucent and easier to fold.

Heat the leftover sauce on the stove to loosen it up. (you will know what I mean when you do it)

Take a banana leaf and add dollop of masa on one <strong>end</strong> of the leaf and make a boat. Add the chopped pork and sauce that is heated on the stove into the boat, and a top it off with masa to and seal it. Wrap it up in the banana leaf and tie it with the reed from the leaf you cut. Repeat.

Take a baking pan and dump all your wrapped tamales in there. Add some water, and put it on the BBQ for 1 to 2 hours on a lower temp. BBQs can vary, so use your cooking sense for how long they should be on there. You could up the temp to make them cook faster but make sure there is water in the pan at all times. Don't worry about under-cooking them because it is easy to throw them in the microwave to fully cook them, as I found out.

With the left over sauce add a half cup to a cup of OJ depending on what is left and how many tamales you have. Again, use your cooking sense here. And heat it up to cook the sauce down using the same pan the pork cooked in.

Unwrap the tamales on a plate, add sauce, cilantro and sour cream and serve.

For a simpler recipe to find out if you like achiote: Do the marinade with shrimp, but only for a few hours, <strong>DO NOT MARINADE THE SHRIMP OVERNIGHT</strong> the citrus will cook the shrimp (see ceviche), and cook them in a disposable pan on the BBQ with the marinade. I haven't tried this, but it should be awesome.

As for the tamales: Cayci couldn't stop saying... OH MY GAWD THIS IS SOOOOO GOOD. And, I gave my mom a left over tamale with all the garnishes and sauce and she said... OH MY GAWD THIS SOOOOO GOOD, as she danced around saying it. Trust me, if you plan in advance, then this is not as complicated as it seems and it really is worth it.

If... and I mean it is a big if, since many fund raising attempts have not become much of anything on IHB, I will do a cost analysis and sell these tamales to IHBers during the xmas season to raise funds for a charity of IHB's choosing.

We also added a tablespoon of olive oil, a bunch of chopped cilantro, and chopped jalapenos to the sauce when we added the orange juice.

And it's Cotija cheese. Co-Tee-Ha.

You can buy crema (Mexican sour cream) in regular and no salt added at the deli section of Fiesta Market. I will be getting that next time.

Totally random but I actually met Rick at a restaurant in Oaxaca about 6 yrs ago. It was this random hole-in-the-wall restaurant where you dine family style with others and he was at our table. Super nice guy- invited us to visit his restaurant in Chicago but unfortun we've never had a reason to stop through Chicago over the yrs.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1255012330]and Rick Bayless went to the Yucatan to find out how to make these</blockquote>Are these the same ones he made on Top Chef Masters ?

Back