Where do stash cash these days?

gypsyuma_IHB

I am looking for a place to stash some cash. I want something that is pretty liquid, but would consider a 6 month or 1 year CD if the rate was right.

What looks good these days?

I read a few prior threads after doing a search, but the most I got out of it was that IPO is the go-to guy for this. So, what do you say?

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253602904]Sell some out-of-the-money calls.</blockquote>

I have a reputation for being slow.... and right now am living up to it. What the heck are you talking about? lol

I do have an AMEX Savings. The yield right now is 2.75%.

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1253623293][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253602904]Sell some out-of-the-money calls.</blockquote>

I have a reputation for being slow.... and right now am living up to it. What the heck are you talking about? lol

I do have an AMEX Savings. The yield right now is 2.75%.</blockquote>
Ok if that's the case you should not dabble in something that carries so much risk as selling uncovered options. :p There's always Vegas. haha If you are in a high tax bracket, you want to consider a muni-bond fund. If not, maybe some high quality corporate bond fund.

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1253623293][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253602904]Sell some out-of-the-money calls.</blockquote>

I do have an AMEX Savings. The yield right now is 2.75%.</blockquote>

If your going to need this in 6-12months I'd stick to the 2.75% savings account. 2.75% is a pretty good rate right now.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253602904]Sell some out-of-the-money calls.</blockquote>

Ok, I'll bite... What stock should he sell the calls against?

[quote author="David714" date=1253625236][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253602904]Sell some out-of-the-money calls.</blockquote>

Ok, I'll bite... What stock should he sell the calls against?</blockquote>
USO

TBT

QID

SDS

FAZ

For the more sophisticated folks out there, you can do some straddles plays on certain ETF stocks (I will NOT sell uncovered calls or puts on individual company stocks...too much risk for me...been there and done that with Capital One and got a little burned). For example, today in the early AM I sold 40 Oct $50 calls on SDS for $.35 and bought 10 Oct $46 calls for $.50 in the late morning. I'll be buying SSO and QLD calls before closing tomorrow and selling right before the FED decision at 11:15am PST on Wednesday (that play has worked out for the past 17 of 18 Fed meetings).

I'm even slower this morning - what is AMEX savings? Is this just a savings account offerrred by American Express?

[quote author="David714" date=1253625236][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253602904]Sell some out-of-the-money calls.</blockquote>

Ok, I'll bite... What stock should he sell the calls against?</blockquote>

SLW

can someone provide this AMEX savings link.? is this the same as the high yield saving account, if so, it is only @ 1.85%

[quote author="Chuck" date=1253662809]I'm even slower this morning - what is AMEX savings? Is this just a savings account offerrred by American Express?</blockquote>

I cannot speak for the other poster, but I can tell you about mine. I got a special American Express called the One card I believe. Instead of earning points or airline miles, the card instead is tied to a high yield savings account. AMEX deposits 1% of your monthly balance into your high yield savings account. But I can also deposit into it myself if I want. The rate right now is 2.75% - just checked yesterday.

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1253694077][quote author="Chuck" date=1253662809]I'm even slower this morning - what is AMEX savings? Is this just a savings account offerrred by American Express?</blockquote>

I cannot speak for the other poster, but I can tell you about mine. I got a special American Express called the One card I believe. Instead of earning points or airline miles, the card instead is tied to a high yield savings account. AMEX deposits 1% of your monthly balance into your high yield savings account. But I can also deposit into it myself if I want. The rate right now is 2.75% - just checked yesterday.</blockquote>

The dollar is down 7% this year. I'm no math wiz but a taxed 2.75% return against a 7% loss is something only a government institution would call a good investment.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258554863]Still in cash and even selling options to collect more cash.</blockquote>

I am very slow. Please talk coupons. Thanks!

[quote author="reason" date=1258555857][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258554863]Still in cash and even selling options to collect more cash.</blockquote>

I am very slow. Please talk coupons. Thanks!</blockquote>
LOL I'm a regular visitor of Cameray's coupon thread.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258556005][quote author="reason" date=1258555857][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258554863]Still in cash and even selling options to collect more cash.</blockquote>

I am very slow. Please talk coupons. Thanks!</blockquote>
LOL I'm a regular visitor of Cameray's coupon thread.</blockquote>

Me too, dude. Hey, I sent her a complaint re: Greek Islands Cuisine. I printed a coupon from cheapirvine.com. And the restaurant didn't honor it. The coupon was something like $14.95 for 2 orders. The freaking lady at the register said, "No, $14.95 for the 1st order and regular price for the 2nd order." WTF!

Oh, BTW. Watch out for that Korean lady at the Chae Bahn restaurant at the Diamond Jamboree. She won't honor the restaurant coupon, either. She says it's for "dine-in" only. Yet, the coupon doesn't state that.

And if you want to meet the soup nazi's cousin. Go to Capital Seafood "take-out". There's a female version of the soup nazi. Her name is Michelle.

Back