Where da bears?

What is your stance on Irvine Real Estate?

• I'm still a bear.... don't buy.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I'm a bull... buy now or be priced out forever.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I'm neutral... I just want to find a home to live in.

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Other (please post why)

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Here are da bears!  :D

BearCavalry.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
#ProllyNotA3CWG :(

Any thoughts on just staying put in your current place?... could you be happy there or have you never been happy with it? I hope you don't mind me saying but from what very little snooping I've done in the past (just<this>much), it seems like a super cute place that a lot of people would feel lucky to have.

I don't know about you but I'm relieved to have bought before it got too crazy. Also, it's nice being free of the mind clutter associated with always searching, researching, and always doing the math. 'Cause I got kind of obsessed with that. (Shocker!) It's nice to conserve your energy and focus on other things. I think even if I hit the lotto, I wouldn't want to move again. A new house is a new set of problems. At least you already know everything about your current house. At a certain point... it's like... "good 'nuf!" :) A house is just a place to keep the rain off your head. Ya know??

@SoCal:

Heh... test... errr... I mean Mrs. IHO asked me the same question last week.

I think now that the kids are older... they deserve to be some place bigger and/or nicer. If it was just us, like when we first bought it, it might be fine.

Plus, once you live in a 3CWG... it's hard to go back.

irvinehomeowner said:
they deserve to be some place bigger and/or nicer.

this is why kids feel entitled. i grew up in 1300-1500 sq ft home with 4 other siblings.

irvinehomeowner said:
I did say "and/OR nicer".

They don't mind living in small house... my stomach does.

i hear ya. we were in 1400 sq ft for the last four years.  i was telling my wife the other day that our current kitchen/great room was probably going to be our biggest, that is would likely only get smaller from here, yet i cant really imagine going to a smaller kitchen with a more normal sized island. i cant ever see myself going back to a house that small

qwerty said:
i hear ya. we were in 1400 sq ft for the last four years.  i was telling my wife the other day that our current kitchen/great room was probably going to be our biggest, that is would likely only get smaller from here, yet i cant really imagine going to a smaller kitchen with a more normal sized island. i cant ever see myself going back to a house that small
Yeah... those pics of that Augusta you just posted (esp of the 3CWG) makes me sad. That model would have been perfect for us even with the back alley garage, that was my favorite floorplan. Shoulda woulda couldas.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
Yeah... those pics of that Augusta you just posted (esp of the 3CWG) makes me sad. That model would have been perfect for us even with the back alley garage, that was my favorite floorplan. Shoulda woulda couldas.

Would you be interested in an Augusta 3 for around the same price?  :p

homer_simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

i was just thinking that if i was homer i would sell that ASAP.

qwerty said:
homer_simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

i was just thinking that if i was homer i would sell that ASAP.

Would ask for a little more since I have more upgrades and my backyard is totally decked!

I bought a 4 bed 2 bath house in Norwalk for $365K a couple months ago.  The seller had purchased it for $240k last year in as-is condition (it was a mess) and completely ripped out the interior and re-did everything.  They sold the house to us for $125k over what they paid for.

Right now, 2 months later, there's a 4 bed 3 bath house around the corner from us that's on the market.  It's a bigger house with bigger backyard.  However the location is not as nice as ours (our house is in a cul-de-sac and the street in front dead ends on the far side, so very little traffic).  The asking price for the house is $490k.

We spent couple months looking for houses, saw probably over 100 homes and put bids on 10-20 and had no success.  The competition was fierce.  We started in Cerritos and expanded out to Lakewood/LB/Rossmore/La Mirada/Cypress/Norwalk/etc.  It was very difficult to bid against multiple all cash offers on nicer homes.  For fixer-upper homes you'd be up against multiple investors.  How we managed to buy this home is, we drove around the neighborhood to scout out homes that are being fixed up, and just knocked on the door to ask "hey is this for sale".  We made an offer before the house ever made it to MLS.

Still a bear.  For me the argument hinges more on interest rates than on anything else.  The error made was in thinking rates could not possibly go lower.  They did, again and again and again, thanks to a spooked central bank.  The fed has succeeded in doing what I did not think they could--or would ever dare--do.

Imagine if rates went back to where they were 10 years ago.  A 30-year FRM payment would go up 45% for a given principal amount.  The effect on prices would be staggering.  Imagine if CPI went up 45%, or if incomes dropped by 30%.  There would be blood in the streets!

I'm reminded of the scene in The Titanic, when the shipbuilder says the boat WILL sink.  "It's a mathematical certainty".  The current situation is unsustainable, and the question is about WHEN things will find their rightful place.

I am glad I bought my foreclosure last year... However, I am thinking of listing for home for a WTF price and see if someone bites.  :D

My story lost all its oomph when I lagged on telling it... Yes, I ended up buying that foreclosure and life's great now.  :).   
I am going to have to go rent another house and pray to the foreclosure gods that it forecloses too.. This way I can tell another tale.. :D

heck, just imagine that incomes and interest rates stay flat for 5 years.

or more likely, CPI goes to 3% and interest rates to 5% over the next few years.

of course, the TBTF minion at the Fed won't let either of those things happen....

daedalus said:
Still a bear.  For me the argument hinges more on interest rates than on anything else.  The error made was in thinking rates could not possibly go lower.  They did, again and again and again, thanks to a spooked central bank.  The fed has succeeded in doing what I did not think they could--or would ever dare--do.

Imagine if rates went back to where they were 10 years ago.  A 30-year FRM payment would go up 45% for a given principal amount.  The effect on prices would be staggering.  Imagine if CPI went up 45%, or if incomes dropped by 30%.  There would be blood in the streets!

I'm reminded of the scene in The Titanic, when the shipbuilder says the boat WILL sink.  "It's a mathematical certainty".  The current situation is unsustainable, and the question is about WHEN things will find their rightful place.

I am neutral - I think the current uptick in price is due to panic and not sustainable. There are more than thousands of new homes coming to market and as prices reaching pre-crash heights more owners will put the homes for sale.

The Motor Court Company said:
I am neutral - I think the current uptick in price is due to panic and not sustainable. There are more than thousands of new homes coming to market and as prices reaching pre-crash heights more owners will put the homes for sale.

I think there will be plenty of homes but most of them will be either 1) overpriced with OH or 2) Great Park (El Toro base).  I like the location of Stonegate/Woodbury rather than Cypress Village or Great Park.

Back