Where can I find homes with vaulted/cathedral ceilings in Irvine?

ps99472

I know none of the new construction have them.  Where should I focus on resales?  I'm interested in homes with vaulted ceilings upstairs and downstairs.. that should be pretty unique?

We too are looking at home with vaulted ceilings, but not because we want them.  We use our loft space all the time and most homes don't seem to offer one.  The vaulted ceilings is a great place to add on a loft space without having to pay the $350 sq/ft for it.  You can see examples of many loft conversions on Upright's or Theloftcrafters websites.

Oh... I definitely agree with shokunin about loft spaces.

That was also the reason why we like the older homes because you can expand your square footage at a lower cost than trying to expand outwards/upwards.

Oh, how I love vaulted ceilings. They are "Mission: Critical" here, too. I love the older floor plans with the 2-story ceilings. It's like getting extra cubic-footage (is that a word?) for free. Small rooms are made to feel large with volume ceilings. There are only a couple post-2000 plans in Irvine that have caught my eye.

Here's one in Northpark, although it's not vaulted upstairs like you want:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/148-Hayward-92602/home/5919978

There's another one I'm thinking of that I can't find. It's a townhome with what looks like a split-level or deeply sunken living room but they kept a half-wall separating the levels so it is very open. I think it is in Northpark too, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find it. Ps99472 - are you looking at attached or detached?

Update: I found it. It's the Monterey plan in Northpark:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/26-El-Cajon-92602/unit-34/home/5889511

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Some Turtle Rock homes and definitely Tustin Ranch homes.
Tustin Ranch is NOT in Irvine.

BOOM!

Oh, no. I am disappointed!  :'( On the other hand Irvine could get more congested with all the new communities and stucco's.

Back to the point in discussion, I love cathedral ceilings too. Searched for a decently priced SFR with cathedral ceilings in irvine for almost 5 years, gave up. We got the one we wanted in a neighbour city and 3CWG too!

Not sure if you are open to condos but there is a 3BR 1600ish sq ft floor plan in Northwood (Greystone villas) and West Irvine's Sheridan place that have vaulted ceilings.  One of the tracts in Northpark Square actually sold these same floor plans with the lofts built out.

Is there a reason new construction don't have vaulted ceilings anymore?  Cost?  Dated?  I for one still appreciate them, their openess and visual entry are my two favorite factors. 

I'm not in the market for condos just SFRs.  I have seen quite a few townhomes with high ceilings and they were all 20+ years old.  I think most people still want vaulted ceilings?  What would be some negative factors?

ps99472 said:
Is there a reason new construction don't have vaulted ceilings anymore?  Cost?  Dated?  I for one still appreciate them, their openess and visual entry are my two favorite factors. 

I'm not in the market for condos just SFRs.  I have seen quite a few townhomes with high ceilings and they were all 20+ years old.  I think most people still want vaulted ceilings?  What would be some negative factors?

More volume means more energy for heating and cooling. Also builders want to stuff as much sqft under a smaller foot print to maximize profit and for marketing (i.e. BK's "Bag of Chips" theory). A vaulted ceiling may look pretty but is a waste of space.

It's really footprint/lot size.

When you look at vaulted ceiling homes, they are wider than today's new homes (which also has space for the 3CWG). The bedrooms only take up half the second floor so the rest is a vaulted ceiling usually over the living and dining room areas.

Since lots are not as wide, not only have they removed the living room, dining room and 3rd car garage, there is no space to put bedrooms on the 2nd floor AND have vaulted ceilings... thus they are no more.

I really miss the older style wide and shallow (say 80' w x 60' deep) vs. the newer narrow 50' W x 80' deep lots.  The latter seems to feel far more packed together rather than spacing the homes apart.  I know it's not as efficient of parcel layout, but IMO the wider lots has a nicer landscaped feel to it.. hard to describe but I can see/feel it in the older communities.

Other cities have many vaulted ceiling SFRs - viz., Anaheim hills, RSM, Aliso Viejo and thats built after 1999 too.

I am not sure if TIC has pre-set rules for builders to maximise the sqft per lot, hence most newer construction has no vaulted ceilings.

Homes with vaulted ceiling spells f.r.e.e.d.o.m.

They just want to squeeze all they can in a tiny footprint.  It makes me wonder why builders make single story homes.  Is there a quota to fill for the seniors?

Back