Where can I find a good suit to last at the last minute?

matchbox

People in this forum are so knowledgeable/ opinionated on housing, food,  and well, just about everything else I figured what the heck.

I have to participate as a groomsman for a wedding this weekend and was just asked to do so yesterday.  I pulled out both my black suits last night and they have a hole or two in not so discreet places. Figured it would be best time to invest in a new one with no time to custom tailor it. My proportions do not fit typical European/ Asian size.  Would like to spend under $1000 (under $500 would be best). Anyone know of a good source?

You're a last second filler and they're not renting you or the other groomsmen a suit/tux. Sounds like a broke shot gun wedding where a hole or two in your suit won't matter.

I'd rather ask a tailor/dry cleaner to repair the hole(s) in my old suit...at least it's appropriately fitted, rather than a new suit that doesn't fit and is going to  look cheap/baggy/long/short. Go to Benny across the street from South Coast, next door to Mortons, just leave your girl at home.

Freeze.

So many questions. Where, oh where, do I begin?

1) Why is this being left to the last minute? This is typically settled beforehand as the bride chooses attire for the bridal party and groomsmen. Are they suddenly eloping on short notice? Is there a reason you & the rest of the party haven't been fitted for tuxes?

2) If this wedding was planned in advance, please refer to aforementioned bride for instructions. Do you know for certain that she wants you in a suit and not a tux? Even on short notice, you should consult her!

3) For a spur of the moment wedding, consider the time of the day, the season, and the venue. You need to find out how formal this is going to be. The rest will determine the material of the suit, the type of suit (3 piece?), the color, etc. What's the theme? These are questions to ask her.

When in doubt - always ask the bride!! She can give you a much better idea of what you need to look for than we can. It's her wedding. It's her big day. After you get those things established, you'll have an easier time shopping when you know exactly what you need. Hope this helps. (I've been a bride. I would want my groomsman to ask me if there was any question at all.)

MovingOnUp said:
Sounds like a broke shot gun wedding where a hole or two in your suit won't matter.

Good point. In which case, I'd say you may not even need a suit. Perhaps nice slacks and a dress shirt with tie as though you were headed to a business-casual dinner. It is spring. If they're going somewhere warm, may remove jacket anyway. The location / venue really matters here.

We need more info!!

I will be watching this thread for future knowledge. I didn't even realize you COULD rent a SUIT. Good to know! Sounds like a good plan.

SoCal has outed me.  Please don't be so sad for a pregnant bride having a shotgun, redneck wedding. 

I confess I had to alter the story a bit to make it bit more lighthearted. Change wedding to funeral and groomsman to pall bearer and there you have it. Therefore the short notice.

Just thought the topic seems to be sort of taboo around here, with so much heated debate with Lambert and Brightwater on burial sites etc.  - I still needed a suit and I didn't want to be deterred from some good tips. In any event, the person passed peacefully at a ripe old age, and I look forward to seeing long forgotten family and friends. Figured this is a good occasion as any for a new suit. Thanks again for all your tips.

P.S.
Sorry SoCal that it may have touched a nerve, and to everyone else who felt emotionally connected to the made-up bride!

No need to worry about how we feel. You're the one who has suffered a loss. Sorry for that. I'm kind of relieved for the sake of the "bride".  ;)

Back