What's going into escrow - Irvine and maybe some Tustin too

ipoplaya_IHB

<p>For a list of recent escrow entries, check out <a href="http://www.ipoplaya.com">www.ipoplaya.com</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I keep a pretty good watch on 2000+ sf properties and will post updates here as I run across them.</p>

<p>Today's escrow entrant, a Cal Pac place in Northwood II:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1341646">http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1341646</a> </p>

<p>And another for today... </p>

<p><a href="http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1385475">http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1385475</a></p>

<p>This one is in Sheridan, one house in from the tollroad (Portola exit) at 7 Easthaven. Essentially same model in a better location in Sheridan (without the 3-car garage but with built-out loft as bedroom) closed a month or two ago for $810K. This one was priced to move quickly. I had the opportunity to tour this house before the couple decided whether or not to accept the relo package. Not bad inside, and had a big yard that needed some work. Even with the windows closed, you could still hear the cars on Portola and the tollroad.</p>

<p>Sellers paid $874K for this home in October 2006 so this transaction will likely be 15-20% off peak pricing.</p>

<p>Wow, and another escrow entrant. Same realtor put two houses into escrow today:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1336564">http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1336564</a></p>

<p>Address on this is 18 Easthaven. Also in the Sheridan tract of West Irvine... Had been on the market for quite some time and recently changed realtors. Brought back on MLS at a considerably reduced price and got into escrow pretty quickly.</p>

ipoplaya- great research, but will you follow the deal all the way though to see if they make it though escrow? alot of deals seem to be falling apart once they are in escrow, due to new standard in lending.

<p class="MsoNormal">Ipop, </p>

<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Excellent thread, thanks for starting it. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I appreciate your contributions on this and the main board.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Have benefited greatly, kudos to you. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I’ve been keeping my eye on 36 Secret Garden in Northwood II. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">It recently dipped below 1M. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I like the size, over 3,000sq.feet and overall layout. </p>

Considering offering 925K, what do you think?

<p>Before you make the offer, make sure you LOVE the house. (floor plan, not backed to a major street, etc). Too many choices to settle at this market! </p>

<p>If you really want to buy, offer them $900K, which makes it exactly $300 a sq ft. Considering VOCs homes are selling at $300 / sq ft without landscape, if you can get it for $900K, probably is an good deal in the current market . Just be prepared to that you might see neigbourhood comps continue to drop a little bit. Unlike others, I don't belive the comps of those homes will drop $250 sq ft. ( you might see seveal selling a very low price, but that won't define the trend unless you see a lot). </p>

<p>Just for your information, I nearly bought a 3000 sq ft homes in Northpark in 1999, at that time they were priced right around $200 sq ft without landscape, without window treatment, without granite countertop, and appliances, without fancy woodflooring,etc. In 1999, those fancy features are super expansive upgrades, and very very few people take them. at 3% appreciate rate, it will bring to $260 sq ft in 2008. If the owner has done $100K workth of upgrades, then that addes about another $33 / sq ft. That brings you the total to $293. </p>

<p>If all the houses are selling at those appreicate rate, I don't believe we will have a bubble like we have now. So my simple pea brain tells me, that if you were to buy a good house in a good location, $300 / sq ft is a NOT a bubble price. </p>

<p><strong>Irvine123: </strong><em>Just for your information, I nearly bought a 3000 sq ft homes in Northpark in 1999, at that time they were priced right around $200 sq ft without landscape, without window treatment, without granite countertop, and appliances, without fancy woodflooring,etc. In 1999, those fancy features are super expansive upgrades, and very very few people take them. at 3% appreciate rate, it will bring to $260 sq ft in 2008. If the owner has done $100K workth of upgrades, then that addes about another $33 / sq ft. That brings you the total to $293. </em></p>

<p>I agree with your 3% appreciation rate calculation estimate of $260/sq ft being a fair price now, but I have to disagree with the $33/sq ft upgrade premium.</p>

<p>With so many used houses on the market right now, and with builders offering many incentives/upgrades on new ones, the upgrade premium, if it exists today, will disappear very quickly in the next year or so. If one is willing to ride out the loss of equity at $33/sq ft, or $33 x 3000 = $99,000 potential loss, then go for it. Otherwise, I would suggest waiting to buy until $250 - $260 becomes the norm (just as it took 2 years for $300/sq ft to become "socially acceptable" )</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Irvine 123,</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Thanks for the feedback. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I found your comments to be very helpful and insightful. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Your comment about loving it, and not settling in this market particularly hit home. Yeah, I don’t love the house but like the price point $950K. This one has some competition; two other homes with same floor plan and square footage are priced higher. So there may be some room to the downside.Ideally, I would rather live in Northpark. Unfortunately, similar square footage is running in the $1.2M range. A house that I really love is 1 Poway, located in Northpark. If this one dropped under $1M, there’d be a bidding war between myself and Ipop who’s also looking in Northpark. </p>

Hey Ten. I have been watching NW II closely as well. I have yet to tour one of those 3100sf units, but will soon. Personally, I'm not particularly keen on the exteriors of those places. Bit boxy for my taste. I'd overlook that for interior space though assuming a good price.

Trabuco is going to get very busy once the Great Park is built out IMO so I wouldn't want any property that backs to it. I am buying a 20-30 year place and the roar of cars on Trabuco for that long isn't exactly in my dream home vision... If one of these on an interior street was sub $1M I might make a run. If you got your realtor to kick back 1.5-2% on the transaction and could get one of these for $950K, it would be down to nearly $300/sf.

Unfortunately, there is still much koolaid hangover in NW II. Check out this new ultra super WTF listing:

http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1404258

<p class="MsoNormal">Hey Ipop,</p>

<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Didn’t even consider the fact that the property might back up to Trabuco. You make a great point about future congestion; glad you brought that up. Wholeheartedly agree about the exteriors looking drab and boxy. That’s a big drawback for me as well. On the other hand, I like the square footage, interior layout, and price point. I’m looking for a place to put some roots down, start and raise a family and live in for the long haul. </p>

<p>ipo --- Great thread, and thanks so much for your research. As somebody who is very interested the newer North Irvine communities, it is great to see these coming down to the $300 sq ft range. The market is getting closer and closer to my personal triggering prices. We just got our lease renewal yesterday --- and decided to re-up for just 9 months rather than the 12 we were planning on, in large part because I think the market will be where I want it by the end of the year. Seeing these recent escrow prices helped to make that decision. Thanks.</p>

<p>I'll be very interested to see what price 7 Easthaven closed for.....</p>

Interesting thread. I too am considering buying in North Irvine or Tustin. If the house/lot is right, I'd be more than happy to pay $300/sq ft. Heck, I'd pay $350/sq ft for the right home. Problem is, I'd have to sell my current home, although really that is more of a time issue than a pricing issue, as I'd accept $300/sq ft for my home, which would should sell fairly quickly as homes have sold at $325/sq ft in my neighborhood recently.

I've looked at 1 Poway, okay home, but I kind of need a 3 car garage.

that is indeed a super WTF listing. there are several of the exact same home for sale on rising sun in woodbury. there's one recent short sale for $800k but most are listed in the $900 range which is still WTF.

Irvine Allergy - I'm in the same boat as you, and a 3-car garage is definitely my preference. One bay for tools, the other bay for a Harley, and the third bay for kids crap... Don't see many of them in Northpark. Tustin Ranch seems to have a good many 3-car garages on homes of varying sizes. It's not uncommon to find 2400sf in TRanch that has a three-car. That is rare in Irvine IMHO. I think we'll end up buying in the newer part of TRanch, maybe before 2008 is up if the right place hits the market.

Again, great thread. This is the kind of thread all potential buyers need to guage when to buy a home.

I agree 100% with Irvine123 and his calculations on price psf based on the 1999 home he almost bought. I did similar analysis to buy my home.

Just to add, I've posted this before, but would be relevant here. Bought in Nov, VOC. well over 3000 sft. I loved the house, so I jumped in. Right next to model home, no houses in front of me, great view of the park, etc. Price before upgrades was $230 psf. Price after upgrades was $255. Not surprisingly, all 4 available homes sold within a week of prices dipping to these levels.

I need to talk IPO into a fridge, bar, and big screen TV in one bay. Any guy with a 3 car garage that does not have at least one space reserved for the neighbor guys to come hang out should probably have his man card revoked.

I've been reading this forum for some time, all the posts are very informative and has been instrumental in holding me back from buying too soon. I've kept my range at 500k and when I check the houses I see the smaller ones still at > 400/sq.ft. Is there any reason why these are not going down compared to the bigger ones that you have shown.

Back