What would you tell your 29-year-old (or younger) self?

traceimage

Inspired by the "What do you think of my homebuying plan" thread. For us old-timers on the forum, what would you tell your younger self? What do you know now that you wish you knew then?

I would say: Dump that loser and be single for a while. Do not go to law school. Do not tell future husband not to buy that stock that would have gone up hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Oh, please don't say no to the third.. go for it right after this baby :) Otherwise it will be too late by the time you realize you wanted one more.

- In 2003/4 buy a small SFR in Quail Hill or a 3CWG in Woodbridge.
- At the end of 2008 when the market crashes buy GOOG, NFLX and AAPL
- Mid 2011, sell NFLX
- End of 2012, sell AAPL buy NFLX
- 2013... profit... sell stocks and homes and buy in Newport or bigger home in Quail Hill

Dear Young Me,

Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing!!! You'll never regret it. Keep trusting in the Lord. You'll thank yourself later. You are about to really see His hand working in your life! From this vantage point, I can look at all the puzzle pieces of our life and see how everything fit together oh-so-perfectly, in perfect timing, and in ways you can't even imagine right now. But one word of advice: don't be so hard on yourself. You are smarter, stronger, and more well-equipped than you think you are. Don't worry, everything is going to work out great for you... everything you had hoped for and more.

Hugs,

Old Me
:)

That would be soooo cool, if i can travel back in time 7 years to meet my 29 year old self :)

I would tell myself the following...

1. Stop obsessing about living in Irvine... because it ain't gonna happen. God is going to take you to a different land that flows with milk and honey.
2. Don't worry about not being able to have kids because the doctor said so. You are going to have twin boys and they are going to be wild so be prepared :)
3. Your journals and drawings on your sketch book will start to actualize in real life...  so believe it.
4. Forget your dream of being the first Korean Hedge fund titan Jim Rogers, Real estate is where the action is for you.
5. Don't stress and worry so much and leave all your burdens to the Lord. He will take care you every step of the way.
6. Your father will die from a heart attack on July 12th, 2012. Visit him in Korea every year, spend quality one-on-one time with him and make sure you take your twin boys to Korea so he can see them before this date.
7. Don't take life so seriously, life is not all about money and career. Take each day slowly and learn to enjoy the simple things in life.

8)

Sell that Quail Hill condo in the 700s before the crash comes and don't spend your money as fast as you make because you think you'll keep making more and more....SLOW DOWN and save for rainy day because cash will become king.  Save more money and get into flipping in 2009/2010 when the worst was over. 

Cubic Zirconia said:
Oh, please don't say no to the third.. go for it right after this baby :) Otherwise it will be too late by the time you realize you wanted one more.

I feel ya...I feel like I'm too old to have #2.

Buy a couple flats in Hong Kong during the SARS epidemic. (Or tell those family members with capital to do so)

Email these guys at some site called Thefacebook and tell them that you'd like to do some interning with them and bring some money to the table for investing purposes.

I'd start recording life lessons for my future children so they can hear words of wisdom from their parent while their parent is currently living in that moment.  For example, when I was 18, I'd record a video expressing ways to cope with different situations among other things that affect 18 year olds while addressing the video to "my future children".

gwailo168 said:
I'd start recording life lessons for my future children so they can hear words of wisdom from their parent while their parent is currently living in that moment.  For example, when I was 18, I'd record a video expressing ways to cope with different situations among other things that affect 18 year olds while addressing the video to "my future children".

You can still kind of do that now. Take those interview videos of your own kids (if you have kids) and save them to show your grandkids.

That reminds me. I saw a story on TV about a lady with terminal cancer. She knew she wasn't going to be around for her daughter long, who was still a baby at the time. So, she got a card and gift for every major milestone of her life (Sweet 16, High school graduation, Her wedding day, etc.) She also recorded videos to teach her how to put on makeup, advice about boys, advice on raising her own children... all those mother & daughter moments she would miss, she was now trying to find a way to be there for her in the future. Man, what a tear-jerker that was!!! The daughter was good about not opening the envelopes ahead of time. They interviewed her on the show as a teenager, talking about this amazing gift her mom left her.

Cubic Zirconia said:
This one.

And... having them sooner... probably before 29.

irvinehomeowner said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
This one.

And... having them sooner... probably before 29.

But remember that if you'd had them sooner, you wouldn't have the kids you have now. Of course you'd love them anyway, but you'd have different kids. This is what I tell myself, anyway, when I wish I'd started younger. My son is such a blessing and I can't imagine having a different child.

irvinehomeowner said:
I want the same kids... just me being younger.

They'll be different, you were different.  You had more energy, probably slightly less resources.  Different attitude towards, money, work, partying...

I think I would still tell Younger IHO to have them younger... more time to enjoy them.

I want to be able to play ball with my kids when they are teenagers/20somethings... don't think that will happen at the pace my body is breaking down.

Plus, not even sure if I'll be around to enjoy grandkids if my kids wait as long as I did to have kids.

irvinehomeowner said:
don't think that will happen at the pace my body is breaking down.

:(  C'mon, Iho. There is still time to turn this around. I think you'll find taking some weight off will relieve your joints. You can do this.

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I want the same kids... just me being younger.

They'll be different, you were different.  You had more energy, probably slightly less resources.  Different attitude towards, money, work, partying...

True. I had one at 24 (first job, new country, new friends, new husband, away from family and people I love, one car to share between both, rental apartment, didn't understand medical insurance) Second one was right at 3-0 and yes, things were very different.. the focus was only on the baby, nothing else. Everything else was preplanned and taken care of.. I wouldn't lie- I enjoyed the second baby more than the first one. Didn't help that the first one was a preemie.. but that brings to IHO's thought- I don't think the planned and mature me would handle the series of surprises and shocks that came with the first one if it had happened at 30..

Baby fever: Been 4/5 months, there is this urge to have another baby. Until 2 years ago, everyone wanted one except me. Right now the tables have turned. I don't know, I want a 70s like family fully of children! Everyone including the little one is talking me out of it :( I think I will get me a kitten one of these days and spoil it rotten.

Any of you feel that? Homer, stay away- this question is not for under-30.

1. Love more, wolf less
2. Keep the weight off, your metabolism falls off a cliff in your 40s. 

You 30 somethings should pay attention to #2...  your energy levels stay fine, but your body processes food differently.

I try to tell myself that I if I had them younger I wouldn't be as "ready" for them... but that's just an excuse. You become ready when you have them -- unless there are other factors like poverty, illness, mental immaturity -- but even then, people adapt. I look at some of my friends who had kids when they were younger and now their kids are in high school or going to college and I have a bit of envy.

Even if I weren't big bacteria'd... age is age... I don't want my grandkids visting me in a Senior Living home... I'm supposed to help babysit them.

So, how old were you when they were born, Iho? I don't know how old you are now but I wouldn't guess you are very geriatric...?

Back