What would you be buying if there were no bubble?

kcmkane_IHB

<p>If the rest of you are at all like me, I am sure you spend too much time pouring over Redfin or Zip, or at open houses thinking "If not for this bubble, I would be able to afford a place like <em>THIS</em>!" Well, at least I hope I am not the only one daydreaming about what I could buy if not for unfortunate events of the past few years. So I'd be interested in seeing what you daydream about being able to get --- and what price you think you could get it for --- If not for the bubble. Here is mine:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=969831">http://www.redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=969831</a></p>

<p>This one is listed for $1.15M. Originally sold for $580K in 2001. Based on IR's calcs in the blog today, I think it should have appreciated about 25% since 2001....Or be priced around $725,000 today. For that price, my renting days would be over in a big hurry....</p>

<p>Interested to see what others think they might be buying if not for the bubble....</p>

CK-

What a great house! I love the backyard. That house is almost a 2004 rollback! I wonder what the story is on that house. The yard is truly amazing!

I am like you and spend entirely too much time on redfin, zip realty (although I get tired of the agent emailing me and asking me questions and "noticing I like certain houses")- i feel too watched.

I am looking for a home close to Newport Beach where I work, preferably with a large lot. I would like Turtle Ridge or a rehabbed house in Turtle Rock.

I will have to look around and pick my favorites....

Dude, if there had been no bubble, we most likely would not have sold out home, and if we did, we would have bought at the same time we sold.<p>

In answer to your other question, today I saw a wonderful property, and I know we not be able to afford it for awhile.

<p>Ohhh...you're right! That is a gorgeous house! I have family and friends in Newport Beach so I know that area fairly well and to be honest the stuff I've seen in Irvine was always the low end condo places that lacked any character at all. So I was pleasantly suprised to click through your link and discover a home that nice - course I fell in love with the current owners dining room table and chairs. </p>

<p>Too bad I'm about 900K away from looking in that price range!</p>

Love the house CK, but not so much the neighborhood. Specifically, I want my kiddo to be able to walk to Northwood High, not have to be driven to Beckman. So I wait, <sigh> for Orchard Hills.

check out its location...this house might be back against a busy main street...I looked at Northpark several years ago, it seems that those on the market were never at a good location...

If Orchard Hills East, that is the Northwood High side, offered its homes starting at $750K for the same prospective spec. design instead of $1.25M, I'd be a v. interested potential buyer.

<p>well this isn't in the area but for $330k you cannot beat the decor. Notice the ladder theme.</p>

<p><a href="http://redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1072372">http://redfin.com/stingray/do/printable-listing?listing-id=1072372</a></p>

<p>they also have post modern furniture (boxes)</p>

And I thought me and my wife were the only ones getting nightly entertainment by flipping through Redfin and ZipRealty! We must have "seen" every SFR property listed in Northwood, Northpark/Square, Woodbridge and West Irvine many times over on these 2 sites...and I swear, some of those realtors need to buy a real digital camera or hire some photographer. Really crappy pictures and to think the sellers are going to be paying them 4-5% commission?

I'd buy that McMansion you listed for around 750k(ish) if the backstreet wasn't too noisy...but not more than that! I am beginning to think all you vultures could one day be one of my neighbors

123 -- you are right, it does back to Portola, and while that could be a downside, the upside would be the lot size, and that you have some privacy. It seems that in any of the tract homes the only ones with a decent yard back to the street. The inside locations you have your neighbors staring down at the party of six you can fit on your back patio, I mean yard. I am daydreaming today, but I think something like this could be reality in a couple years. This house in TR would probably be close to $3M, and probably at least $2M in Orchard Hills (if it ever is built) --- and since that won't be fitting my budget, I'd be willing to compromise some street noise to get a pad like this.

$580,000 in 2001. I think it's worth every penny of that.

There are lot of crappy places on the MLS but that lot is huge for the area.

Back