What were your reasons to work with a buyer agent and how did you select yours?

usctrojancpa

I'm curious to hear from the buyers on the forum...what were the reasons that you used to in deciding whether to work with a buyer agent versus representing yourselves and/or having the listing agent represent you?  If you did decide to work with a buyer agent, what criteria did you use in selecting which agent to work with?  Did you change agents during the home search?  If so, what were the reasons?

Hmm... I guess I should have posted here instead of the other thread.

Having a buyer's agent just helps me with that last gap that I don't have the expertise in. I'm sure a listing agent would be happy to bridge that gap with a dual agency deal... but I can't be certain that he/she is working towards my best interest.

I've been through a few agents, one was a family friend and while they were very patient, there was some knowledge gaps when it came to Irvine that could really only be filled by an area agent. Additionally, when listing my home, I realized it's more important to use an area agent.

I posted long ago about what I look for in an agent... one of the top being tech savvy (as my family friend was light in that area). He was always calling me when I wished he would just answer my emails... or he would ask me question that I already addressed to him but he didn't read my emails. One of the other important traits, which the family friend did have, was low pressure. The first agent we ever used was very pushy... always asking me if I was ready to make an offer... at the price points we are today... it's going to take a little (or a lot) more time before we bite.

I mainly work with a buyer's agent because I don't have to deal directly with new people. :)

I've come across seller agents that are downright condescending and not very nice and at those times I wish I had brought my agent. My agent seems charismatic and isn't pushy either. I think it's good to have someone that knows how to talk to people ie. is likeable, confident. I wish he was more knowledgeable about Irvine but he's an extended family member.

I've had other agents that seemed more "helpful" but they would just send comparables and listings. But most of the information I can find on my own through redfin.

So basically I just need someone to represent me, do the paperwork, write the offers, talk to agents,
negotiate for me.

i think the big thing is that i am in sales and look forward to negotiating.  the paperwork and process can be done by anyone.  once you understand the basics and what common practice is, the listing agent really cant take much advantage of you.  on the same note, until i started becoming comfortable with the forms, i still posed questions to RE friends even though i went to a listing agent.

One quality we are looking at is "local", he/she has to be very familiar with the areas. We worked w/several, one is friend's friend -- nice, patient but easy to lose "focus", we wanted area A, he continued to send us to see areas he lived in, which is totally different city. Another quality is "no pushy", we worked with an agent, she was so pushy -- ex: replied her email only 1 day late, she was upset and kept asking what's wrong -- finally we got enough of her and moved on.

With current open internet, we can do pretty much all the searching by ourselves, but a good buyer's agent should be able to help us spot the "one" match our needs, vs a so-so agent only send us list which we can get anywhere on internet.

Another thought is on REO/short sale, seems in many cases, use seller agent as dual agent will help get the deal done. I have several friends closed their house by using seller's agent (all are REO/short sale cases). True or false, would like to hear what is people's suggestion here in this forum.

Back