What to do during traffic school?

almon_IHB

going to traffic school this saturday for 8 hrs...i had to leave my book at the front door last time. maybe i'll paint eyeballs on my eyelids and sleep for 8 hrs...any success story on doing anything other than listening to an 8-hr lecture?

Well, the last ticket I got... I was fortunate to receive outside of the OC, so I got to do traffic school online.

But, the time before was in OC, so I had to sit through the class at the court. I was lucky enough to sit by a girl that was fairly cool... so, we played 'hangman" and other easy types of games on paper.

Good luck!

Good luck with that! I went about two years ago (at the LN courthouse). They actually had a deputy at the door watching for people who were falling asleep in class! They don't let you get away with much these days, although the instructor was quite funny. Just get there early so you can get a rear, aisle seat. That way you can squirm around and not bother anyone. And be the first one out!

I did my "time" at the Newport Beach courthouse and the instructor said if he catches you sleeping once, it's a warning. The second time, you are kicked out of class.

There was one guy who got warned once. It would have been funny to see someone kicked out, but he didn't dare fall asleep again.

I tried to fall asleep and had an officer tapping on my shoulder within 5 minutes saying I would be kicked out if I tried that again. You don't really see them watching you from behind, but they are.

The morning dragged but it seemed to pick up alot in the afternoon when the instructor got more and more comfortable with the audience.

My husband recently went to traffice school (about a month ago). He went to the Improv comedy traffic school in Irvine and he really enjoyed it.

He said it was very entertaining and not at all boring like he thought it was going to be.

So maybe the one you are going to won't be all that bad.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1233881331]I realize that this can be difficult thing to say, but anyway we are among friends here.

I think there is a reason for you to be in traffic school, and I don't feel right seeing people telling you what to do other than do what you need to be doing. You can take the traffic school as a learning process (I hope not) or as a punishment, but in either case, you should be using your time wisely and be attentive. It is an expensive process, and if you don't care for the two "incentives" I mentioned, at least try to get the most bangs out of your bucks.

<jump down from high horse, and put on a armor></blockquote>

I can appreciate what you are saying... but, honestly there is a HUGE difference when it comes to traffic schools. I have attended 3 in my lifetime and I can tell you they were all completely different in content, etc.

The first traffic school I attended was about 15 years ago. It was a "Comedy Traffic School" the guy had us watch Disney cartoons. Then, briefly instructed us on what we would be tested on in order to pass. Next he passed out the tests, graded them and handed us our completion paperwork. Really, a complete waste of time.

The second was the OC court provided traffic school. Useless as well. The girl teaching was from Alabama, and basically kept comparing Alabama traffic laws to California traffic laws. No constructive information, basically a waste of time. When people asked her questions... it was more often than not, that she DID NOT KNOW THE ANSWER.

The third traffic school was this year, online traffic school. I can honestly say, this is the FIRST time the information was relevant and I actually learned a few things. It took total concentration and was very focused, well organized and professional.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1233898998][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1233881331]I realize that this can be difficult thing to say, but anyway we are among friends here.

I think there is a reason for you to be in traffic school, and I don't feel right seeing people telling you what to do other than do what you need to be doing. You can take the traffic school as a learning process (I hope not) or as a punishment, but in either case, you should be using your time wisely and be attentive. It is an expensive process, and if you don't care for the two "incentives" I mentioned, at least try to get the most bangs out of your bucks.

<jump down from high horse, and put on a armor></blockquote>

I can appreciate what you are saying... but, honestly there is a HUGE difference when it comes to traffic schools. I have attended 3 in my lifetime and I can tell you they were all completely different in content, etc.

The first traffic school I attended was about 15 years ago. It was a "Comedy Traffic School" the guy had us watch Disney cartoons. Then, briefly instructed us on what we would be tested on in order to pass. Next he passed out the tests, graded them and handed us our completion paperwork. Really, a complete waste of time.

The second was the OC court provided traffic school. Useless as well. The girl teaching was from Alabama, and basically kept comparing Alabama traffic laws to California traffic laws. No constructive information, basically a waste of time. When people asked her questions... it was more often than not, that she DID NOT KNOW THE ANSWER.

The third traffic school was this year, online traffic school. I can honestly say, this is the FIRST time the information was relevant and I actually learned a few things. It took total concentration and was very focused, well organized and professional.</blockquote>

the class struggle between me, the ambassador of joy, and the no-fun ruling class continues...

i need to correct your thinking -> i'm trying to use my time wisely by NOT being attentive.

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/4230/">See this thread about what you "can" do.</a>

[quote author="graphrix" date=1233944594]<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/4230/">See this thread about what you "can" do.</a></blockquote>
thanks graph, long time no talk!

anyway, i lost touch with all my "can do" contacts years ago...i've often wished i kept in touch with them...i'll just buy a pack of cigarettes and hope they have freq smoke breaks...

alrighty, big difference between taking it in newport beach (yesterday) vs laguna niguel (3 yrs ago)...

1- the nb officers were much more relaxed, only came into class twice (in 8-hr period) to check if anyone has fallen asleep. in laguna niguel, i felt like they were practically stationed in the classroom

2- people brought in magazines into the classroom after half time, i caught two sneaking peeks at them

other than that, i picked up two or three things. convinced more than ever that the whole thing should be done online.

Back