What parts of Tustin are safe vs less safe?

I've noticed a lot of reckless driving incidents in Tustin, particularly on Irvine Blvd and near The Market Place, and also see a listing for a home for rent in Tustin where one of the photos has some nondescript person at the front entrance of the home at night with purple lights. This has me wondering which parts of Tustin are best to avoid (if possible) and which ones are really safe and charming?

I would say Tustin Ranch and Tustin Legacy are the more desirable areas. Tustin Legacy is the newer/newest part of Tustin. These two areas make up 92782. So anywhere in 92782 you are fine (look up 92782 in google maps and you will see the outline of 92782)

South of the 5 freeway in Tustin I would probably stay away from the areas north of edinger, west of Jamboree. Those are just the older parts of Tustin. Not unsafe necessarily but just older homes and probably less affluent than 92782.

North of the 5, the farther north of the 5 and east of the 55 I would say the better it is generally speaking. North of the 5 (outside of 92782) is probably better than south of the 5 (outside of 92792). There are older homes that are on bigger lots and plenty of single story homes. The neighborhoods are nice just older.

I would say Tustin Ranch and Tustin Legacy are the more desirable areas. Tustin Legacy is the newer/newest part of Tustin. These two areas make up 92782. So anywhere in 92782 you are fine (look up 92782 in google maps and you will see the outline of 92782)

South of the 5 freeway in Tustin I would probably stay away from the areas north of edinger, west of Jamboree. Those are just the older parts of Tustin. Not unsafe necessarily but just older homes and probably less affluent than 92782.

North of the 5, the farther north of the 5 and east of the 55 I would say the better it is generally speaking. North of the 5 (outside of 92782) is probably better than south of the 5 (outside of 92792). There are older homes that are on bigger lots and plenty of single story homes. The neighborhoods are nice just older.
Thanks for the quite detailed insights! We had kind of imagined most of what you had noted but not as granularly as you had kindly shared. In the less affluent neighborhoods of Tustin, where the homes are older and single-storied, would you say that car thefts or home burglaries are something we should seriously try to guard against, or is it safe enough that we can be off-guard? :)

The Tustin Police Dept. shut down a huge street takeover and towed away 51 vehicles

https://newsantaana.com/the-tustin-...e-street-takeover-and-towed-away-51-vehicles/

At least the Tustin police are doing something about these car takeovers. Any of you guys see this? It was on Tustin Ranch road.
Looks like it was by the Giant Robot factory:

Tustin-Street-takeover-busted.jpg

Thanks for the quite detailed insights! We had kind of imagined most of what you had noted but not as granularly as you had kindly shared. In the less affluent neighborhoods of Tustin, where the homes are older and single-storied, would you say that car thefts or home burglaries are something we should seriously try to guard against, or is it safe enough that we can be off-guard? :)
Prudent advice is to seriously guard against both those regardless of where you live. Sure some areas are safer than others, but there's always a chance. I know of home burglaries in 92782 and car thefts in Irvine.

In 92782, there are some unsafe radioactive limes.

Other than that, what qwertustin said is pretty much the gist of it.
Why are the limes radioactive? Does this mean we shouldn't plant a garden? How about the Great Park area? I've heard something about radioactive soil there too...?

Prudent advice is to seriously guard against both those regardless of where you live. Sure some areas are safer than others, but there's always a chance. I know of home burglaries in 92782 and car thefts in Irvine.
Wow! I guess that's the difference between living on the continental US and a good part of East Honolulu at the coastline... lol! It's just that living here in Honolulu has got us at wits end with how boring, monotonous, and dull every day is... :(

The Tustin Police Dept. shut down a huge street takeover and towed away 51 vehicles

https://newsantaana.com/the-tustin-...e-street-takeover-and-towed-away-51-vehicles/

At least the Tustin police are doing something about these car takeovers. Any of you guys see this? It was on Tustin Ranch road.
Looks like it was by the Giant Robot factory:

Tustin-Street-takeover-busted.jpg
I saw this on Instagram a few times! I'm glad the OC helicopters seem to be very active in OC too. There are a lot of speeding and running red lights too, though, right? Is Irvine usually better than Tustin with following the road rules? We've visited twice and the drivers in Irvine seemed better than the ones in Honolulu. :)

I saw this on Instagram a few times! I'm glad the OC helicopters seem to be very active in OC too. There are a lot of speeding and running red lights too, though, right? Is Irvine usually better than Tustin with following the road rules? We've visited twice and the drivers in Irvine seemed better than the ones in Honolulu. :)
Irvine drivers are bad in the opposite way of LA drivers. They are not self aware at all and can drive 20 miles under speed limit on the left lane. You will also have drivers that hard break and go to a complete stop once a yellow hits (happened in Jeffrey/Walnut today). You will have times where you wait for someone to back out and it’s almost time to go to bed when they are finally out the stall. You have individuals that don’t know who has the right of the way and yield when they shouldn’t. List goes on.

LA on the other hand is the complete opposite and more on the reckless side. But they drive recklessly very well.

Irvine drivers are bad in the opposite way of LA drivers. They are not self aware at all and can drive 20 miles under speed limit on the left lane. You will also have drivers that hard break and go to a complete stop once a yellow hits (happened in Jeffrey/Walnut today). You will have times where you wait for someone to back out and it’s almost time to go to bed when they are finally out the stall. You have individuals that don’t know who has the right of the way and yield when they shouldn’t. List goes on.

LA on the other hand is the complete opposite and more on the reckless side. But they drive recklessly very well.
Ah, goodness! That sounds a little bit like how I drive, actually! LOL... ;) Thanks for the insights...

I have to agree with Sleepy on Irvine drivers. I don't mind slow drivers, but it's really bad when they drive 20 miles under speed limit on the left lane. This actually happens a lot on Irvine Blvd, and not just one or two drivers. Sleepy isn't exaggerating.

My wife drives slow, sometimes up to 10 miles below speed limit on Irvine Blvd since it's 60 mph speed limit, but she has the decency of staying on the right lane.

Actually, Irvine drivers are even more reckless. Not the speedy reckless like LA, but the intentionally reckless, on their phone, on a video call holding it with the hand on the steering wheel while eating with the other during morning commute (seriously this was a 40/50 y.o. woman in 5-10 y.o. Rav last week on way to UCI down jamboree, doing make up, reading, watching videos, typing messages with both hands, and rushing yellows due to the excessively long yellow lights. (The lights are the worse, they are training people to run changing lights)

LA is more aggressive/assertive, OC more entitled oblivious.

Is it just me but it seems like Tesla drivers are more reckless/impatient since their cars have very quick acceleration? Same with big pick up truck drivers. One thing the left and the right have in common…

Actually, Irvine drivers are even more reckless. Not the speedy reckless like LA, but the intentionally reckless, on their phone, on a video call holding it with the hand on the steering wheel while eating with the other during morning commute (seriously this was a 40/50 y.o. woman in 5-10 y.o. Rav last week on way to UCI down jamboree, doing make up, reading, watching videos, typing messages with both hands, and rushing yellows due to the excessively long yellow lights. (The lights are the worse, they are training people to run changing lights)

LA is more aggressive/assertive, OC more entitled oblivious.
Right.

At least, when drivers are aggressive/assertive, it means they're paying attention to the roads. I can deal with that. But these entitled oblivious Irvine drivers are the worst.

Orange County drivers suck as a whole, so Irvine vs Tustin isn't much different.

Areas I would consider:
Tustin Ranch - Newer masterplanned suburb
Tustin Legacy - New/still under construction masterplanned community
North of Bryan - Regular 50s-70s OC suburb life...lots of ranch style homes. Be mindful that many streets abruptly turn into "North Tustin" which is unincorporated OC and not actually part of Tustin.
Old Town Tustin - Pockets of very nice old bungalows mixed in with random industrial or old apartments...little more seediness and transients
Laurelwood/Peppertree/Tustin Meadows - Area along Walnut that's bound by Red Hill & Tustin Ranch Rd...regular 70s-80s communities that are perfectly fine, but for some reason get overlooked. It might be because they're in sort of a random location that many people just pass to go other places.

Is it just me but it seems like Tesla drivers are more reckless/impatient since their cars have very quick acceleration? Same with big pick up truck drivers. One thing the left and the right have in common…
I think so, I've seen many ICE cars doing the same (mustang, 911, amg benz, etc), sometimes when the light turns green they think they're vin diesel

But bad drivers are everywhere, couple weeks ago, playing early golf in Riverside, bright and early, barely any cars on the road, wide and empty, open field of vision, saw couple cars flying past a red light (going at least 75mph). I don't think I've seen that in LA or OC. (I've seen some impatient ones go slowly past a red light in the early morning, but not flying out)

I've noticed that due to the quick acceleration of tesla cars and the heavy battery.
Tesla tires don't last long.

Gotta use chill mode if you wanna keep your tires. I read that some drivers only get 20,000 miles before tread is dead.

Last edited:
I think so, I've seen many ICE cars doing the same (mustang, 911, amg benz, etc), sometimes when the light turns green they think they're vin diesel

But bad drivers are everywhere, couple weeks ago, playing early golf in Riverside, bright and early, barely any cars on the road, wide and empty, open field of vision, saw couple cars flying past a red light (going at least 75mph). I don't think I've seen that in LA or OC. (I've seen some impatient ones go slowly past a red light in the early morning, but not flying out)
Actually on Facebook I saw a dashcam clip of a big SUV flying through a red light right and it was so late the light about about to turn green in another 10 seconds! This was on Irvine Blvd and there weren't that many cars but there was a little bit of cross-traffic trying to make its way too... this is part of what got me asking by starting this thread. :O

I recommend asking some Tustin Police Officers which areas of Tustin they'd choose to live in if they were moving their family there ... they know better than anyone else.

Back