What other areas outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine?

PANDA_IHB

What other areas/neighborhoods outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine in terms of weather, job market, school, demographics, lifestyle, etc?

[quote author="PANDA" date=1243695817]What other areas/neighborhoods outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine in terms of weather, job market, school, demographics, lifestyle, etc?</blockquote>

When I lived out in Chicagoland, I felt that Naperville reminded me of Irvine. The people out there were so friendly and helpful. One day I hit a curb and got stuck in the snow and within minutes no less than 3 cars stopped to help me get the car out (even with it's California plates).

Out in the Houston area, Sugar Land reminds me of Irvine.

In Northern California, Cupertino reminds me of Irvine.

Zovall, though I see similarities in schools, income, population, lifestyle with Naperville IL, Cupertino IL, Sugar Land, and even Plano and Flowermound, TX to Irvine, In my humble opinion, I have found Fulton County, Georgia to be the most similar to that of Irvine. Many people who live in the area consider Duluth as the Bevery Hills of northern Altanta. Some of the nice surrounding areas include Alpharetta, Marietta, Johns Creek, and Roswell, simlar to south counties, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc.

The median income in Duluth, GA (zip code 30097) is $115,000 where the median home price is $350,000. The area also has the highest growth of Asians (domestically and overseas). The two largest group of Asians in Irvine are the Koreans and the Chinese. Within the past 10 years the northern Atlanta area has experienced a growth of 88% in Korean and Chinese population. The Atlanta area also has the highest population growth of 890,211 between 2000 - 2006. Many of the homes are fairly new with new master planned communities developing. There is the new and old established Duluth, much like the south and north Irvine. Northview High School ranks between Northwood High and Univerisity High. The ethnic demographics of Northview, is similar that of Irvine Schools 10 years ago with 27% Asians and 65% Caucasions. The two major country club neighborhoods in Duluth (St. Ives, and Sugarloaf County) remind me a lot of Shady Canyon. There is no snow during the winters, but the summers tend to get very hot and humid. If you want a similar feel and lifestyle to Irvine, but want a nice new home in a big lot, I highly recommend that you check this area out. Duluth, GA is also a very good place to raise your family and would definitely alternative if Irvine did not exist.

Panda

Website for Sugarloaf Country Club Community

<a href="http://www.sugarloafcc.com">http://www.sugarloafcc.com</a>

<a href="http://www.ecrescentcommunities.com/show_home.asp?Project=SU&Pod=17&Lot=789">http://www.ecrescentcommunities.com/show_home.asp?Project=SU&Pod=17&Lot=789</a>

<a href="http://www.sugarloafcc.com/ecc_home_listings.aspx?proj=SU">http://www.sugarloafcc.com/ecc_home_listings.aspx?proj=SU</a>

[quote author="PANDA" date=1243695817]What other areas/neighborhoods outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine in terms of weather, job market, school, demographics, lifestyle, etc?</blockquote>

Panda, looking at stats along is a good start, but not until you actually visit and stay there for a little while would you realize if it is similar to Irvine. I can't think of a place outside of CA has similar weather, so you really have to take that one out. Once you take that out, I would say West Plano, Texas (West Plano is west of City of Plano) is kind of similar to Irvine in terms of job market, school, demographics, etc. Another city is Sugarland, TX.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1243722216]Zovall, though I see similarities in schools, income, population, lifestyle with Naperville IL, Cupertino IL, Sugar Land, and even Plano and Flowermound, TX to Irvine, In my humble opinion, I have found Fulton County, Georgia to be the most similar to that of Irvine. Many people who live in the area consider Duluth as the Bevery Hills of northern Altanta. Some of the nice surrounding areas include Alpharetta, Marietta, Johns Creek, and Roswell, simlar to south counties, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc.</blockquote>

I dunno, Panda. You can post a lot of statistics, but those are just numbers. While there are many, many places with similar characteristics to Irvine --- for the most part I consider suburban Atlanta and suburban Los Angeles to be about as far apart as it gets. I think a fair number of us have been to many big cities around the country in our travels --- and I can say that places like Georgia and Texas --- while having wonderful merits --- <em>feel</em> totally different from the West Coast. I know you know what I mean.

Sure, I've had moments of frustration with the pricing here, and threatened to flee to some cheap "up and coming" state where I could blast Lynrd Skynrd loud and proud. Georgia, the Carolina's, Texas --- they all qualify. But when the chips are down, the only problem with leaving California is you have to *leave* California. I think I can safely assume you would prefer an Asian influenced city. While there are *some* Asians in suburban Atlanta and Dallas and (fill in the blank) --- none of those places are truly Asian influenced like you will find on the West Coast. Here, everybody down to the whitest of white knows the drill, and embraces the influences of the culture, because it is a part of our daily lives. It's second nature. I work for a big 4 accounting firm. I go to our Chicago office quite often. Panda, to walk the halls of the Chicago office and look at the faces, and then come home walk the halls of our similarly sized downtown LA office you would not even think you are on the same side of the world -- the demographics of the employees are that dramatically different.

So stop waffling and being seduced by 2nd tier options. If you truly want a substitute for Irvine, you'll need to come to the West Coast. Zov's right about Cupertino, but the housing stock is wildly different than Irvine. Arcadia in the SGV is very similar to Cupertino. San Ramon/Pleasanton east of San Francisco feel about the same as Irvine in housing stock, and while not quite as diverse its catching up in a hurry. Bellevue and Redmond outside of Seattle also would qualify, but the weather is not as good.

The West side is the best side, Panda.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1243726442]Panda - I looked at all of your links. They are very nice but are all of the homes in Sugarloaf over $1mil+?</blockquote>

Socal,

I believe half the homes in the Suglarloaf Country Club are over a million. There are several Rap Stars who live in this neighborhood and Sugarloaf is equivalent to Shady Canyon in Northern Atlanta. In the surrounding neighborhood, you will be able to pick up a new 3800 square feet 5/4 on a 7000 sq ft lot for about $500,000. You know the new Diamond Bar Plaza in Irvine to tailor to Asians? There about 5 of them (Bigger than Diamond Plaza) recently built in the past 10 years in Duluth. There are a lot Asian professionals flooding into this area mostly from New York, Virgina, and Illinois. I believe that moving to Duluth now is similar to moving to Irvine in the early 90s. Three emerging states I am very optimistic about in the future in terms of real estate value is Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1243727210][quote author="PANDA" date=1243695817]What other areas/neighborhoods outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine in terms of weather, job market, school, demographics, lifestyle, etc?</blockquote>

Panda, looking at stats along is a good start, but not until you actually visit and stay there for a little while would you realize if it is similar to Irvine. I can't think of a place outside of CA has similar weather, so you really have to take that one out. Once you take that out, I would say West Plano, Texas (West Plano is west of City of Plano) is kind of similar to Irvine in terms of job market, school, demographics, etc. Another city is Sugarland, TX.</blockquote>

Irvine 123, I am not arguing that Duluth and Plano are better places to live than Irvine because I have always believed that Irvine is the best place to live in the world in terms of lifestyle, weather, and beautiful beaches. However, there are some negatives. If your wife does not work, and you make an income of $100,000. You are just getting buy in Irvine and it would be very difficult to buy a decent size home with this income. However, with this income you can still live very comfortably in Duluth where your wife can stay at home and focus on the family. I believe that most wives would like the option of having to work or not, if the husband makes enough income. When living in Irvine, this is not an option for many wives.

Eden, Shangri-La.

Panda's Irvine Paradise.

Zion, Nirvana.

-IrvineRealtor

P.S. You will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile. :)

[quote author="CK" date=1243727299][quote author="PANDA" date=1243722216]Zovall, though I see similarities in schools, income, population, lifestyle with Naperville IL, Cupertino IL, Sugar Land, and even Plano and Flowermound, TX to Irvine, In my humble opinion, I have found Fulton County, Georgia to be the most similar to that of Irvine. Many people who live in the area consider Duluth as the Bevery Hills of northern Altanta. Some of the nice surrounding areas include Alpharetta, Marietta, Johns Creek, and Roswell, simlar to south counties, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc.</blockquote>

I dunno, Panda. You can post a lot of statistics, but those are just numbers. While there are many, many places with similar characteristics to Irvine --- for the most part I consider suburban Atlanta and suburban Los Angeles to be about as far apart as it gets. I think a fair number of us have been to many big cities around the country in our travels --- and I can say that places like Georgia and Texas --- while having wonderful merits --- <em>feel</em> totally different from the West Coast. I know you know what I mean.

Sure, I've had moments of frustration with the pricing here, and threatened to flee to some cheap "up and coming" state where I could blast Lynrd Skynrd loud and proud. Georgia, the Carolina's, Texas --- they all qualify. But when the chips are down, the only problem with leaving California is you have to *leave* California. I think I can safely assume you would prefer an Asian influenced city. While there are *some* Asians in suburban Atlanta and Dallas and (fill in the blank) --- none of those places are truly Asian influenced like you will find on the West Coast. Here, everybody down to the whitest of white knows the drill, and embraces the influences of the culture, because it is a part of our daily lives. It's second nature. I work for a big 4 accounting firm. I go to our Chicago office quite often. Panda, to walk the halls of the Chicago office and look at the faces, and then come home walk the halls of our similarly sized downtown LA office you would not even think you are on the same side of the world -- the demographics of the employees are that dramatically different.

So stop waffling and being seduced by 2nd tier options. If you truly want a substitute for Irvine, you'll need to come to the West Coast. Zov's right about Cupertino, but the housing stock is wildly different than Irvine. Arcadia in the SGV is very similar to Cupertino. San Ramon/Pleasanton east of San Francisco feel about the same as Irvine in housing stock, and while not quite as diverse its catching up in a hurry. Bellevue and Redmond outside of Seattle also would qualify, but the weather is not as good.

The West side is the best side, Panda.</blockquote>

Haha.. Ck . Panda is not seduced by 2nd tier options :) I am just trying to start an interesting discussion thread as Reason is complaining that not many people are posting on IHB these days :) I am just trying to make the point that for someone who likes Irvine and its Asian influence, will most likely like Duluth as well.

Dude, I am not arguing with you. 10, 20, 50, 100 years in the future, Southern California will always have the best weather, lifestyle, and beaches, will always have the more Asians than any other state, and will always be the home for the wealthiest Americans living in the U.S.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1243727210][quote author="PANDA" date=1243695817]What other areas/neighborhoods outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine in terms of weather, job market, school, demographics, lifestyle, etc?</blockquote>

Panda, looking at stats along is a good start, but not until you actually visit and stay there for a little while would you realize if it is similar to Irvine. I can't think of a place outside of CA has similar weather, so you really have to take that one out. Once you take that out, I would say West Plano, Texas (West Plano is west of City of Plano) is kind of similar to Irvine in terms of job market, school, demographics, etc. Another city is Sugarland, TX.</blockquote>

I lived in both West Plano and Sugarland, and yes both are the Irvine areas of their cities.

In Denver, the area closest to Irvine for me was Lonetree.

I lived in a burb of Chicago called Wheaton that was similar demo.

That's a great question! I believe there are pretty easy answers for all of those, except weather. I would argue there is no place outside SoCal that has the same quality of weather. If that is possible at all, which I don't believe, it would have to be pricier, otherwise I'd already be there, and so would one billion other people.

Master planned communities and cities are a dime a dozen these days. Perhaps Irvine led the way but I'm not convinced any of them are that great. Minus the weather and proximity to the beach, Irvine is a bland, car centric, boring place that has a lot in common with many suburban and now exurban areas of most metropolitan areas. There are even Irvine like communities where I grew up, 30 miles outside St. Louis, MO in what was then cornfields and farmland. However, if you like what SoCal has to offer, the weather, the beaches, outdoor activities, etc. then Irvine is a nice little oasis amidst the sprawl, congestion, ugly stucco boxes, and strip malls that make up most of SoCal.

<a href="http://www.winghaven.net">Irvine of St. Louis</a>

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1243730366][quote author="PANDA" date=1243695817]What other areas/neighborhoods outside of California have you found it to be very similar to Irvine in terms of weather, job market, school, demographics, lifestyle, etc?</blockquote>

Eden, Shangri-La.

Panda's Irvine Paradise.

Zion, Nirvana.

-IrvineRealtor

P.S. You will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile. :)</blockquote>
You forgot the one that comes closest:

Heaven

Back