What jobs are in OC?

I would argue that the Southern California economy is probably the most diversified in the nation. There is a nice mix of sectors here: raw materials, import/export, manufacturing, entertainment, healthcare, financials, tourism, government, transportation, and technology. As was mentioned before, pretty much every big car company has a headquarters here. There are also pockets of very high tech companies here, all the defense contractors up in El Segundo for example, or the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA, are just a couple of examples of these. Throw in San Diego and you are now adding pockets of growth sectors like biotech.

It really depends on what your definition of "Southern California" is. To alot of outsiders, "LA" also includes Orange County. Having lived and worked in both counties at the same time, I'd say Orange County is intertwined with the LA economy pretty tightly. Other parts of South Orange County and West Riverside, you see people commuting into San Diego. My definition of "LA" includes about 5 different counties, since over the course of my career, I've had people commuting to jobs from all of these places.

Regarding housing, I've read several mainstream articles mentioning Irvine as the epicenter of the subprime meltdown. So this is similar to the .com meltdown in Silicon Valley in 2000-2001. I remember visiting San Jose and Milipitas back then. The atmosphere was really gloomy. Gigantic corporate offices (yes even Cisco's) had these large newly finished buildings, with these huge unfinished lawns out front. You couldn't even call them "lawns," they were just big piles of unplanted dirt.

Lots of housing tracts here in Orange County remind me of my visit back then. All of these vacant developments, many of them unfinished skeletons or holes in the ground as if they were stopped and frozen in time.

As someone in the technology field, there are 3 cities where there is a large supply of technology jobs: San Francisco, Dallas, or Southern California. Although San Francisco is considered the "mecca" of tech, it is also more prone to the boom and bust cycles in the technology sector, since the San Francisco economy is not as diversified as the Southern California economy. Typically, the San Francisco tech job is a job that is supporting the technology sector. Whereas the Southern California tech job is in support of any number of sectors.

This year has been rough for everybody. The housing price drops along with the interest rate drops, are great for those of us interested in getting houses, even though, I still think OC home prices are way overvalued. But now we're all worried about job cuts, so making a big move into buying property doesn't make much sense. 2009 is going to suck really bad, but if we can get through it, things should come out okay. The birth of the next "boom" is already underway, we just have no idea what it is, and when it will finally surface.

I'd always drove around since I moved down here a few years ago, seeing these inflated housing prices, and wondering how in the hell there were so many people affording these million dollar homes. Was this county full of CEOs? I wondered how that was possible? If the whole County was full of CEOs, who was doing all the service work? It wasn't until the details of the creative financing came to light that it all started to make sense. So good to see places like Irvine Housing Blog educating the public about the whole sham of loose lending.

I don't think listings of fortune 500 really tells the whole story about the job richness of certain areas. Most jobs aren't reliant on a handful of gigantic corporations. Level of education, Unemployment rates and poverty rates are better indicators and OC tends to have the smallest rates on those lists than most cities in california. (We're at 6%. Less dire than previously predicted).

To describe how job rich OC is, here's an example. More people drive into OC from LA, Riverside, and San Diego to work than the other way around. I think Fortune 500 is a good way to compare economic health of large major cities like LA, SF and NYC, but "Orange County is different." For the most part, OC is an extremely diversified economy where the majority are reliant on small and mid-sized businesses. It has never been a capital of the more recession vulnerable fortune 500 businesses, never was, and which begs the question how OC became such a wealthy place without them. Real estate is a strong suit of OC, but if that was the only game in town EVERYONE in this forum would feel it a heck of a lot more than we do right now. Despite the lack of Fortune 500, OC tends to be a major player for fortune 500s to set up outposts here. It would be interesting to see where OC ranks if Fortune Magazine ever had a list of cities with the most fortune 500 outposts.

25w100k+,

the high tech companies I am aware of, are all in hiring freeze. My friend's company is closing its Irvine branch.

brcm, qcom, swks are all in hiring freeze. there are rumors of 10% cut in brcm, I don't know how accurate it is, but that is a big number.

pm me if you know of any high tech companies hiring, I have a friend who won't have a job starting mid. Feb.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1230136769][quote author="25w100k+" date=1230087536]Seems to me tech is doing OK in OC. Obviously, SV has a lot more tech jobs, but on the other hand, a bigger percentage of those jobs are VC funded startups. OC has a lot less VC activity (which is a bad thing overall), but when the economy takes a hit, most of the tech companies arn't as affected by it.</blockquote>

Tech is doing OK? Do you mean that tech is not seeing as bad of job losses as financial or RE jobs? Because the tech related job sectors are down 3.3% YOY. Also, OC has some of the most VC money when it comes to the percentage of tech companies/jobs in OC. IRCC only SV has more VC money than OC. I'd search the OCR for the articles they did on how much money was being sloshed around OC, but to be honest, I don't feel like it.

<blockquote>I know Google and Blizzard are still actively hiring, along with the company I'm at. Broadcom hired one of my friends a month ago in a non-tech job. I have a feeling OC will ride out the storm with the exception of the Mortgage companies.</blockquote>

I'm not trying to push buttons, but what do you mean by riding out the storm? Is that aside from the financial and RE jobs OC will have job growth, or the job losses will not be as bad? I'm glad your company is hiring, and so are the others you cite, but for every one tech person, like yourself, I hear two tech people who say the opposite. I mean, <a href="http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/oran$pds.pdf">every sector is the red except for health care</a>. Judging by what Petah says, health care isn't that healthy either. In fact, the tech related sectors are below 2004 job levels.

So... am I missing something in your post, or misinterpreting something? Because, what I read from your post is not being seen in the numbers. Have you been hanging out with Panda again? :p

<a href="http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article5391660.ece">Even Google is cutting back</a>.</blockquote>

Back