what is the rough going rate for installing laminate today?

Cost will vary depending on the quality of installation you want.  I think YF's guy is on the low end and KB's on the high end.  We paid about $3.50 (3 years ago) but it included leveling.  If you're replacing carpet to install laminate, you may need to level parts of the concrete slab as large areas will usually require some leveling.  A good contractor will recommend this; the cheapest contractor will probably not mention this at all.  As kb said, good glue is expensive; but it also has a moisture barrier (or you can apply moisture barrier before glue or even skip this step if not a concern).  Also, we tried to donate barely used carpet and couldn't find anyone that wanted it; not even charities like salvation army or habitat for humanity.

irvinemonkey said:
Who still puts laminate in 2018??? Check out SPC or WPC flooring if you are looking for something that in not wood. You're welcome.

How is vinly flooring?
I've heard they look good and efficient now most apartment complexes use them. And I know they are cheaper too. But do they still have that fake look?
I personally like real wood with natural worn out scratches. It is harder to maintain, but I like more organic real stuff overall.

I like WPC because it's softer than tile wood but like Mety, it can look fake... but not having to worry about water is awesome if you have kids/pets.

Also, if you will eventually resell, non-wood may not go over well with buyers.

irvine buyer said:
Cost will vary depending on the quality of installation you want.  I think YF's guy is on the low end and KB's on the high end.  We paid about $3.50 (3 years ago) but it included leveling.  If you're replacing carpet to install laminate, you may need to level parts of the concrete slab as large areas will usually require some leveling.  A good contractor will recommend this; the cheapest contractor will probably not mention this at all.  As kb said, good glue is expensive; but it also has a moisture barrier (or you can apply moisture barrier before glue or even skip this step if not a concern).  Also, we tried to donate barely used carpet and couldn't find anyone that wanted it; not even charities like salvation army or habitat for humanity.

I love how engaged everyone is in this topic!

Yes, you are correct, the General Contractor I work with is on the higher end. They are Newport Coast Elite and they perform the work on many of the custom builds in Newport, Balboa, Emerald Bay and San Clemente. They are more expensive, but in construction, you definitely get what you pay for. I know for a fact that if I work with someone from their team, whether it's flooring, carpentry, tile or stone, I am getting A+ service. As a professional designer, I couldn't in good conscience recommend a non-licensed contractor to a client. Non-licensed contractors may charge less, but there is no guarantee on their work. Budget is important, though, so at the end of the day, you have to weigh the costs, risks and benefits after gathering all the needed information.

There are two types of flooring that I don't usually recommend to clients: vinyl and carpet. Vinyl flooring, as well as carpet, is made from a host of different chemicals. They produce off-gassing which is bad for human health and the environment. If you do choose vinyl flooring, I would try to limit it to a small area of your home.

eyephone said:
No offense. But who would want your used carpet?

you would be surprised what some people would want....just post on craigslist that some beautiful women walked barefoot and got some foot sweat on the carpet and you'll have guys begging to take it off your hands  ;)

kbinteriordesign said:
Mety said:
If you're going to live there awhile, I suggest try the real hard wood floor or engineering at least.
Laminate is looking better now days, but it will still feel fake and you will regret it. Something timeless would be a good choice rather than trendy looking crap which will look so outdated in 5 years.

I agree with Mety. If it is your primary home, not a rental, and you plan to be there for some time, it is worth the investment to put in higher quality flooring. In my opinion, it not only adds to the value and improves the aesthetics of your home, but will also give you greater senes of pride of ownership.

There are affordable flooring options out there. Floor and Decor is a great place to look at wood flooring options, including Bamboo. The look of Bamboo flooring has improved so that it looks more like real wood and is a more economical option. Have you considered any other types of flooring besides wood? I know wood is popular, but there are lots of beautiful and functional options available out there!

Besides wood, what other floor option do you recommend?
Any personal favorite?

Mexican wood is probably the best wood out there. Generally most females like the thickness of the wood when they are on it :)

Mety said:
Any personal favorite?

Before I answer that question, flooring should also be chosen based upon functionality which means taking into consideration more than just lifestyle. For example, is the flooring going into an open concept room with a living/dining/kitchen combined, how much natural light does the space get, is the house south facing/receive a lot of sun and therefor heat up, or is the room dim and dark? With all those factors taken into consideration along with lifestyle requirements, then I can make recommendations such as porcelain tile, wood tile, cork, or even carpet if necessary.

kbinteriordesign said:
Mety said:
Any personal favorite?

Before I answer that question, flooring should also be chosen based upon functionality which means taking into consideration more than just lifestyle. For example, is the flooring going into an open concept room with a living/dining/kitchen combined, how much natural light does the space get, is the house south facing/receive a lot of sun and therefor heat up, or is the room dim and dark? With all those factors taken into consideration along with lifestyle requirements, then I can make recommendations such as porcelain tile, wood tile, cork, or even carpet if necessary.

I always make sure to get the south facing living room for we want that part of our home to be bright. We have hardwood installed currently, but was wondering if there was any better option for the cost and maintenance for the future reference and what the interior designers are recommending.
Our bathroom floors are actually more in need of some change. We don't like what we have now and are considering maybe something dark and simple.

Mety said:
I always make sure to get the south facing living room for we want that part of our home to be bright. We have hardwood installed currently, but was wondering if there was any better option for the cost and maintenance for the future reference and what the interior designers are recommending.
Our bathroom floors are actually more in need of some change. We don't like what we have now and are considering maybe something dark and simple.

Great choice to have a south facing living room! The natural light makes a tremendous difference in a space!

Without knowing what your budget is, I would explore tile, wood tile or bamboo flooring. It sounds like you prefer the wood look. In some respect, cost is relative after you take into account quality, longevity and your overall personal satisfaction with your home.

OCVillager said:
Anyone had recent experience with Costco laminate flooring? How was the pricing for laminate as well as for installation?
We used Costco Laminate flooring for our rental house remodel in 2016. Bought them when they were on sale for about $1.5 per sqft.
Hired a Chinese company for the installation. $2310 for 1650 sqft.
The laminate turned out great. We just did inspection of the house after 2 yrs and the laminate still looks new.

Back