What is more desirable?

roya1f1ush

Hi everyone, this would be my second question about what people prefer, partly because I may be in need of much guidance before I make a home purchase in Irvine.
I am really struggling with two homes at the moment, both of which are in orchard hills, have the same floorplan, and have an ok facing backyard (just as long as I don't bake in the sun any more than I really need right?).
Which would you TalkIrviners prefer between these two homes? Any opinions or feedback on what would help with a resale in the future if we were to decide to move again would be so appreciated. Thank you!

1) 10' deep backyard, with a 15' side yard (both yards usable space nonetheless), no neighbor behind or next to you at the end of a cul-de-sac
2) 35' deep backyard, with homes next to you, behind you, all around you. yay!

Love you guys! Thank you!  ;D

Normally I'd say #1 but 10ft of back yard is just so sad...

However I've lived in both scenarios and no home behind you gives an amazing sense of freedom and privacy that you can't get with a row of houses behind you, even if you grow privacy trees.

Also let's a lot more light into your house and you don't have to keep your blinds / curtains closed all the time.

Ya, I'd still go for #1.

The metrics of a 15' side yard and a 10' back yard might be okay compared to a 35' back yard depending on the width of the house on #2.

This is a hard one... even with homes all behind you... 35' of separation is pretty far.

Added detail is that the house with the smaller yard has a view of the orchards behind it and very private side yard at OH (as mentioned in original post, this home is there).
The 35' backyard home has homes behind it.
Both lots are the same at 5200 sq ft ironically.
Not sure what people typically end up wanting in a larger yard...I thought it was just for entertaining usually...
I wonder if these responses still stand with this detail in mind. =/

35 ft is a lot under the assumption that house backs up against similar lots that also have 35 ft setbacks. . . .so 70 feet between houses is apx length of a high school basketball court.

Also, is it truly 35, or is it slopped with the back neighbor looking down, that would stink just a little bit more

roya1f1ush said:
Added detail is that the house with the smaller yard has a view of the orchards behind it and very private side yard at OH (as mentioned in original post, this home is there).
The 35' backyard home has homes behind it.
Both lots are the same at 5200 sq ft ironically.
Not sure what people typically end up wanting in a larger yard...I thought it was just for entertaining usually...
I wonder if these responses still stand with this detail in mind. =/

10' in the back is tiny.  35' is huge (for Irvine).

If they both have the same lot size, then #1 must have a larger front yard to make up for it.

Most people don't really use their side yards, other than for gardening or to enclose a dog, unless the house has doors which open up to the side.  Does the house open up to the back or the side?

While #1 may be more private, keep in mind you are also more exposed to the elements...  Santa Ana winds, fire hazard, coyotes, rabbits, etc.  Trash and debris also tend to collect more at end units.

For #2, keep in mind many of your neighbors will be absentee homeowners from China, so it may be more private than you think.

Lived in a house with a ton of privacy but small yard. Only had one house to the side. Moved to a house with a bigger yard but house to the back, sides, and diagnoally across. Realized, that privacy and not having so many structures around you made it feel more open. And you mentioned a view, thats even better.

AW said:
Also, is it truly 35, or is it slopped with the back neighbor looking down, that would stink just a little bit more

So the neighbor behind the home with the 35' backyard has about 10' in their backyard as their setback. So not exactly a high school bball court...
The door to the backyard is not on the side to the side yard of the home with the 10' setback with orchard views.

With both being the same size lot... I lean towards #1.

A view with privacy and at least a sizeable side yard is okay... lots of money to landscape that 35' yard.

Also, location is key... we know #1 is in OH, where is #2 (or is that in a noland riddle)?

irvinehomeowner said:
With both being the same size lot... I lean towards #1.

A view with privacy and at least a sizeable side yard is okay... lots of money to landscape that 35' yard.

Also, location is key... we know #1 is in OH, where is #2 (or is that in a noland riddle)?
They're both in OH. Irvinehomeowner, just to confirm, were you meaning "sizeable" as in the 10' backyard and 15' side yard that #1 has?
Even if they have the same lot size, #1 has a very large front yard as WTTCHMN concluded (to be landscaped by HOA yipee).

Yeah... I was referring to #1.

Since both are in OH... I still lean towards #1. A large front yard is actually even more rare than a large back yard for new builds in Irvine... does that also mean your have a larger driveway?

Are they price comparable? Similar floorplans?

They're the exact same floorplan,  with a longer driveway as you suspected. I didn't get the pricing for either of them but I'd assume there would be a slightly heftier lot premium for that 35' backyard...

roya1f1ush said:
They're the exact same floorplan,  with a longer driveway as you suspected. I didn't get the pricing for either of them but I'd assume there would be a slightly heftier lot premium for that 35' backyard...

If there is a heftier lot premium for the 35' backyard, that already tells you which lot is more desirable.  Case closed, no need to mentally masturbate here on TI.  The builder has pricing down to a science. Or maybe you are the builder, catfishing here on TI.  It's happened before.  Hmmm....

Back