what is a CAT 5E plug?

upon9k said:
AA said:
Believe or not it's about 100 LED recessed can lights.  The standard can lights that is included (about 50 lights) comes in that ugly flourescent tube type bulb.  The other 50 can can lights would be to put in for other rooms (e.g. each of the rooms, great room, dining room etc).

Now I really think you live in Hidden Canyon lol.  $10k for 100 recessed LED lights is $100 each, which is not bad imo.  I paid $125 each to retrofit my old house granted we only did about 10.  I might also add that we had to retrofit because our original permit required CFL lights like the standard ones you mentioned.  Looks aside, the bulbs burnt out at very inconsistent intervals - sometimes 1 month after changing, sometimes 1 year but none ever lasted their rated life.  None of the LED units that took their place have burnt out yet and it's been 2 years.

Can't be hidden canyon. Toll charges 200 per led light :)

Are you sure it's 100 lights. I don't think any builder charges 100 for led lights. If it is 100, no brainer getting it from builder.

I'd also pass on cat5 for bedrooms. All kids use wireless now and I only use cat5 in my office and tv room. Place a cat5 strategically in corner of the house to use as a hub for wireless if you have a large house.

I wish I could afford Hidden Hills....so you recommend $100/LED lights from the builder vs going with $60/LED lights with a licensed contractor.  I would be saving $4k.  Is there a big risk/downside using contractor?

AA said:
I wish I could afford Hidden Hills....so you recommend $100/LED lights from the builder vs going with $60/LED lights with a licensed contractor.  I would be saving $4k.  Is there a big risk/downside using contractor?

This is totally different than the paying for CAT5e drops, which you can use good wifi as an alternative with barely any negatives.  When it comes to structural/drywall, I wouldn't mess with the headache post-close to save $4000.  Instead, I would recommend doing hardwood post-close and save $10000 or more (Builder wanted $22k for Provenza Old World I got it for just under $10k installed).  Now you got another $6000 in savings left to dish out on other upgrades. It's all a balance of priorities if you ask me, you save on the non-essentials to get more of what you value in your future home. 

upon9k said:
AA said:

This is totally different than the paying for CAT5e drops, which you can use good wifi as an alternative with barely any negatives.  When it comes to structural/drywall, I wouldn't mess with the headache post-close to save $4000.  Instead, I would recommend doing hardwood post-close and save $10000 or more (Builder wanted $22k for Provenza Old World I got it for just under $10k installed).  Now you got another $6000 in savings left to dish out on other upgrades. It's all a balance of priorities if you ask me, you save on the non-essentials to get more of what you value in your future home.

Doing the hardwood post close makes me nervous as the installer would have to tear up the tile and carpet and the base boards.  I'm afraid of potential damages that could happen to the walls and cabinets, etc. 

Worry not - I went through all the hesitation you are now but I am thankful I plowed ahead.  I had to grit my teeth in fear while they jackhammered my kitchen and entry tiles, but it passes. 

The more you research you will find that doing hardwood with the builder results in having quarter round moldings right up against your baseboards.  They will tell you it's "industry standard" and all this BS but the truth is they do it that way because their installers are lazy and it saves time/cost = more profit for the builder!  Not to mention looks like something you could get the guys in front of the local Home Depot do for you.  When you do it post-close you get the 5 inch base board clean and unmolested:

Attachments

• Flooring.jpg
    Flooring.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 170
Also, the builder only needs to meet the bare minimum on the grading specs (every couple feet can have so many variance), when I did my floors outside, they showed me the unevenness which they had to either grind down and/or patch.  Sure, I was dubious, but talking to my neighbor who bought hardwood through the builder, he did mention some of the larger furniture sits rather uneven.

AW said:
Also, the builder only needs to meet the bare minimum on the grading specs (every couple feet can have so many variance), when I did my floors outside, they showed me the unevenness which they had to either grind down and/or patch.  Sure, I was dubious, but talking to my neighbor who bought hardwood through the builder, he did mention some of the larger furniture sits rather uneven.

Good point and spot on.  Check out how uneven my slab was from the builder and the amount of concrete they had to repour to level out my slab in prep for hardwood:

Attachments

• Levelling.JPG
    Levelling.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 157
upon9k said:
Worry not - I went through all the hesitation you are now but I am thankful I plowed ahead.  I had to grit my teeth in fear while they jackhammered my kitchen and entry tiles, but it passes. 

The more you research you will find that doing hardwood with the builder results in having quarter round moldings right up against your baseboards.  They will tell you it's "industry standard" and all this BS but the truth is they do it that way because their installers are lazy and it saves time/cost = more profit for the builder!  Not to mention looks like something you could get the guys in front of the local Home Depot do for you.  When you do it post-close you get the 5 inch base board clean and unmolested:

I would be so pissed if the builder put qtr rounds moldings right up against my baseboards.  Are you sure all builders install hardwood floors like this?  If I'm paying for 5 inch baseboards I better get all 5 inches just how your pictures look. 

AA said:
upon9k said:

I would be so pissed if the builder put qtr rounds moldings right up against my baseboards.  Are you sure all builders install hardwood floors like this?  If I'm paying for 5 inch baseboards I better get all 5 inches just how your pictures look. 

All hardwoods floor through the builder will come with that quarter round molding.  Just check all the model homes.

And your 5 inch baseboard will now look like 4 inch since builder installed the baseboard first then hardwood planks later, raised the floor level by the thickness of the plank. 

In the old days, some builder are more flexible and willing to do a bare floor COE, leave out baseboards and flooring upon closing.  Bank are ok with it as long as flooring is done within 30 day of COE.  Advantages of this is home owner can save some demolition work but no builder allow this anymore.

That is very disappointing to hear.  To me that is not the right way to install hardwood floors.  I thought the builder would put in the baseboards after the hardwood got put in first.  So if I go with the builder I will not only pay more for the floors, but the installation will look crappy with quarter rounds on my baseboards.  That is not good.

upon9k said:

Your baseboards are exactly what I am looking for.  Did you upgrade your baseboards through the builder or was that purchased post close?  Would you mind letting me what type they are?  Thanks.

AA said:
Your baseboards are exactly what I am looking for.  Did you upgrade your baseboards through the builder or was that purchased post close?  Would you mind letting me what type they are?  Thanks.

Thanks, I wish the builder had an upgrade but mine didn't offer any baseboard upgrades for my development, which is a Godsend I suppose since I would have lost almost an inch due to the thickness of my flooring planks like Inc already said above.  They will only install the baseboards before they put in the builder standard tile and carpet.  If you are interested I can PM you the company I used - the baseboards you like are actually included in the price of installation.  I don't know the brand only that it is 5 inches and they called it their "modern baseboard." Also they remove the standard builder baseboard during the install as well.  The only caveat is that you will need to get a painter to spray the builder's paint color in semi gloss before, because they won't do that part for you.  My painter did it for free so no loss to me there.  I suggest you spray because the baseboard finish is quite different than if you have them brush it on. 

There's 3 installers recommended in the Vendor's list that you can find here on TI.  I just don't want to put it here in my post and get my hand slapped for giving free advertisement if they don't pay TI for referrals.  One of the vendors is actually an installer for some Irvine Pacific properties I think, and that installer will paint the baseboards for you.  But their price was considerably higher, so I went with my vendor and as you can see from the pic I got exactly what I wanted and saved $12k to boot over a crap job from the builder.

Back