What ilk of mortgage scam is this?

daedalus

Hoping someone here might have some insight on a little issue I have with my last--and I do mean LAST--mortgage payment.  The wife and I own a tiny fixer upper starter home in LAC.  We chose the path of buying cheap and paying off the house early, and after 8 years, we are there.  Our last bill showed the following:
Interest rate (fixed):  5.25%
Principal balance:  $2723.62
Current payment due (principal):  $1194.09
Current payment due (interest):  $11.92

So, we decided to just pay it all off.  We added principal + interest and sent a check for $2735.54.  I even ran it through an amortization calculator to make sure it agreed.

2 days ago the check cashed.  Today I got a letter from CitiMortgage stating:
We recently received $2735.54 to pay your mortgage loan in full.  However, the amount required to pay off your loan is $2798.93.  Since the amount we received was not sufficient, we advanced funds in the amount of $63.39 to pay the loan in full.
Please send a check....blah blah blah.

No explanation whatsoever as to where this extra amount due is coming from.  I recall seeing in writing that there is no early payoff penalty with this loan.  Certainly I will be calling them tomorrow, but I was hoping to have a hint in advance of the conversation, so I might know what to expect and be better prepared to reason with these scheisters.  I assume there is some BS fee they try to tack on to the last bill.  Anyone have any ideas?

I tried to Google "CitiMortgage payoff scam" and got about 50 gazillion hits that didn't help.  ;)

Could be a lender reconveyance fee.  You get hit for that fee every time you refi and payoff the existing lender so might be the same thing here.  Give them hell.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
Could be a lender reconveyance fee.  You get hit for that fee every time you refi and payoff the existing lender so might be the same thing here.  Give them hell.  haha
<*ding ding ding*>  We have a winner.  Th $63 is a combined sum for reconveyance and recording fees imposed by state/county.  Done.

The interest owed changes every day depending on the exact date you pay off your mortgage. 
I would have gone apesh!t if they tried to spin a story like that.  There shouldn't be any change in interest charged if the payment isn't late.  Even if there was, it's not reasonable that a $12 monthly interest charge grows to $75 because of payment timing.

Back