What do you do on the weekend?

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258808338][quote author="roundcorners" date=1258806229][quote author="traceimage" date=1258789517]This is totally random, but I'm just wondering what everyone does on the weekends. I think it's because I secretly think everyone is having more fun than me.

Anyway, here's what I do (very different now that I have a child!):

Friday night: Eat dinner at home and then watch TV, occasionally go out to dinner with family or friends

Saturday: Try to do a fun family outing, otherwise run errands

Saturday night: Eat dinner at home or occasionally go out with husband and leave the kid with the grandparents

Sunday: Either go out to lunch with my sister or with the family, then either relax at home or run boring errands

How about you?</blockquote>

trace... how old is you little one? Ours is 9 1/2 months... and we still do not have a social life... it really blows me away that some couple with infants can still go out to dinner, movie and stuff...

Here is our daily schedule, let alone our weekend schedule...

6 - Wake up, play in room for about 1 hour, while mom sleeps

7:30-8:30 - I take kid out for a walk around Woodbury, while mom sleeps

9-10 - Kid takes Am nap, we eat breakfast, work on the phone, I get ready to leave house

11 - 2nd nursing feeding, after he wakes...

11:45 - Oatmeal time

12:00 - 2nd walk outside, get some sun & fun

1:30-2 - 2nd nap, wife tries to conserve energy...

2-4 - more stimuli, errands, walks, tummy time

4 - Oatmeal time - I get home, help feeding

4:30 - daddy time, walks, tummy time

5 - Bath time

5:30 - Whine down, story time, I give last milk feeding with bottle

6 - night, night

6:30 - wife & I eat dinner quietly in our 1-bedroom apt

7-8:30 - some quality time at home, some days one of us has some sort of activity at church, IHB time for me, maybe this coming Wednesday, one of our friend can come over after 6 and we can go out to dinner...

Only difference is on Sunday:

10 - I go to church, 2nd service by myself while kid & wife get up & ready

11:45 - Wife and kid roll into church

11:45-12 - I feed kid the oatmeal at church - while wife attends 3rd service

1-1:30 - Take the kid home by myself and sooth him to sleep 2nd nap, while wife take a breather at church...

Being a parent has been THE HARDEST thing we have ever done!!! For some of our friends who do not nurse and have not sleep trained their kids, their lives basically has not changed... Our lives revolve around, naps, oatmeal, nursing or pumping & these 2 hour increments... I have not worked a full 40 hour week since Feb... all we can say is that we hope this will all pay off someday...</blockquote>

Wow, that is a lot of detail! Thanks. I always like to know how people organize their lives with kids. Your schedule is intense! It sounds like you have him on a great sleeping schedule. That's really good. But I'm wondering, what happens after 8:30? :)

My son is 21 months. It's gotten easier to have a life now that he naps only once a day instead of twice. Before, when he took 2 naps, all activities had to be crammed into the period between his naps. It was really hectic. Now it is easier because we have a longer period of awake time. Also he eats 3 meals now like a regular person, so there aren't constant milk feedings all the time. Everything has really gotten easier now that he's older.

We didn't have much of a social life when our son was an infant. We still really don't, haha. But we've gotten a lot more relaxed about naps, timing, etc. Like if we want to go on a daytrip or something, we figure the baby can just sleep in the car and it's ok if he doesn't take an "official" nap. I just got tired of letting the baby's schedule prevent us from doing the kinds of things we used to do. We used to go out all the time and do lots of activities, and I miss that. So it might be kind of selfish, but we've made a conscious decision to occasionally (at least on some weekends) do what we want to do and the kid will just have to adapt. I think that might even be better for him in the long run.</blockquote>

We remember when there were THREE naps!! OH God that was hard... I know, it will get easier as they get older... Having the kid has been the most self-sacrificing thing we have ever experienced. It is not about U anymore. I do agree that later on, the kid should conform to the parents schedule, but for now, it is what it is... He is on a good schedule, except for the protest naps... he still cry for what seem like hours.. at 8:30 we are out like a light bulb... that is why you rarely see any of my posts after 9...

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1258853664]our biggest problem is the naps & lack of help... it is just the wife & I, period!!! Yeah, I know a lot of you guys (Asians) have the grand-parents help, but we don't. </blockquote>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This coupon is good for two free babysits

by SoCal at her home or yours.

No expiration date

Sat.

Cars and Coffee if the weekend car is detailed enough. Lots of walking.

Couple hours of work at the office. Accounting Day. Salt Fish Tank at work weekly maintenance.

Lunch someplace decent. Houstons or Tommy Bahama are favorites.

Go to Ferrari dealer and look around once a month.

Errands & Shopping. Costco every other week or so.

Date with GF or Barbeque.

Sunday. Sleep in day. YES.

Laundry and Morning Football.

Head to San Diego if Chargers are Playing @ Home.

Or Temecula for the drive and some wine. Love the Canyon in the weekend car.

Maybe Golf with my son if he is so inclined.

Watch Late game at one of my usual hangs.

Tonight I'm celebrating. Why? OSU (my alma mater), not only beat Michigan, but we're going to the Rose Bowl! Woo hoo!!!!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1258857803][quote author="roundcorners" date=1258853664]our biggest problem is the naps & lack of help... it is just the wife & I, period!!! Yeah, I know a lot of you guys (Asians) have the grand-parents help, but we don't. </blockquote>

This coupon is good for two free babysits

by SoCal at her home or yours.

No expiration date

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</blockquote>

That's what I love about SoCal. She doesn't just help to diagnose a problem, she is ready and willing to provide a fix. So sweet. I'd take her up on it, RC. Maybe she SHOULD put in an expiration date to force RC to actually use the coupon soon.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1258853978]

We remember when there were THREE naps!! OH God that was hard... I know, it will get easier as they get older... Having the kid has been the most self-sacrificing thing we have ever experienced. It is not about U anymore. I do agree that later on, the kid should conform to the parents schedule, but for now, it is what it is... He is on a good schedule, except for the protest naps... he still cry for what seem like hours.. at 8:30 we are out like a light bulb... that is why you rarely see any of my posts after 9...</blockquote>

We definitely sacrifice a lot for our kids. Really makes you appreciate your own parents more!

I agree with tmare that you should take SoCal up on her offer! I bet you'd feel a whole lot better if you could get out for a date night. :)

[quote author="tmare" date=1258863569]That's what I love about SoCal. She doesn't just help to diagnose a problem, she is ready and willing to provide a fix. So sweet. I'd take her up on it, RC. Maybe she SHOULD put in an expiration date to force RC to actually use the coupon soon.</blockquote>

Thank you, love you too.

I think you're on to something there with the short expiration period. :)

I forgot what church RC goes to but is it a Korean one?

I have some Korean friends and church takes almost all day Sunday... why is that?

It's funny... on weekends me and the wife want to go out but the kids want to stay home play with their toys and/or watch TV. They love "stay home days". I guess maybe because "going out" means we're looking at model homes... heh... they used to like it but it bores them now.

Most of our weekends are either random birthday parties, church (not as diligent as RC), errands, maybe a movie if there is a family friendly film showing ($2 Woodbrige Family Five is awesome), hanging at South Coast, The Spectrum, Fashion Island or Mission Viejo Mall and the aforementioned model home or open house tours. Sometimes we do what my kids calls a "fun thing" and go to a theme park, museum or something that costs more than it should.

Night time is usually when we catch up on DVRs, watch some DVDs and when everyone is asleep, I watch whatever lame B movie is on SyFy (if I've already seen it... I just leave it on HGTV while I look at NBA stats on the net).

You can see definite trends in this thread between the parents and the non-parents.

This was my past weekend:

Friday PM: Dinner and dancing at an early-holiday party at a French/Vietnamese Restaurant in Little Saigon

Saturday: Errands and house cleaning and laundry.

Saturday night: Dinner at a friend's place in Quail Hill & poker until mid-night

Sunday early AM: 3 sets of singles-tennis for 2 hours

Sunday AM: Church with family until Noon

Noon - 2 PM: Lunch at BJ-Tustin Market Place with wife and 2 college-aged kids

2 PM - 5 PM: Looked at a few overpriced open houses in Tustin Ranh and Irvine with wife then headed to Costco to fill up then walked around Irvine Spectrum.

5PM - 7:30 PM: Picked up some ground beef at Ralph's and then cooked spaghetti for wife and kids.

7:30 PM - 10 PM: 3 sets of doubles-tennis

10 PM - 1 AM: Picked up wife and went to a late dinner/get together with tennis friends/spouses at a house in Northwood

Luckily I didn't have to work today. Not a typical weekend but most of our weekends are pretty busy with dinners, church, house-hunting and tennis.

I feel very lucky to have a bunch of good friends to hang out with and to have the terrific weather to play tennis year-round. We used to do so much with the kids but now they both are busy with their friends and activities.

[quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1259051295]

2 PM - 5 PM: Looked at a few overpriced open houses in Tustin Ranh and Irvine with wife then headed to Costco to fill up then walked around Irvine Spectrum.</blockquote>

You must have seen me stumbling all over that Spectrum ice rink at about the same time yesterday, getting made to look like a fool by all those 10 year olds skating circles around me.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259037209]<strong>I forgot what church RC goes to but is it a Korean one?</strong>

I have some Korean friends and church takes almost all day Sunday... why is that?

It's funny... on weekends me and the wife want to go out but the kids want to stay home play with their toys and/or watch TV. They love "stay home days". I guess maybe because "going out" means we're looking at model homes... heh... they used to like it but it bores them now.

Most of our weekends are either random birthday parties, church (not as diligent as RC), errands, maybe a movie if there is a family friendly film showing ($2 Woodbrige Family Five is awesome), hanging at South Coast, The Spectrum, Fashion Island or Mission Viejo Mall and the aforementioned model home or open house tours. Sometimes we do what my kids calls a "fun thing" and go to a theme park, museum or something that costs more than it should.

Night time is usually when we catch up on DVRs, watch some DVDs and when everyone is asleep, I watch whatever lame B movie is on SyFy (if I've already seen it... I just leave it on HGTV while I look at NBA stats on the net).

You can see definite trends in this thread between the parents and the non-parents.</blockquote>

We go to <a href="http://irvine.newsong.net/">newsong </a>church off Jamboree, you can definitely see a few blond/mixed heads in a sea of Asians.. it's a "mega" church with over 3000 people every Sunday, comprised of mainly UCI students. The kids really give the church energy and keeps us all young at heart...

This thread is great... looks like a lot of you guys are well grounded with those around you...

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259037209]I forgot what church RC goes to but is it a Korean one?

You can see definite trends in this thread between the parents and the non-parents.</blockquote>

So many parents dedicated their life around the kids and neglected to nourish their own relationship and began to drift apart after the kid was born. From what I can read here you guys are really boring because your life evolve around your kids. Trust me no one is more qualified than me on this subject an ex divorcee lived the same life as you all described while living in Irvine.

Make time for each other and do adult things even you you have to drag an infant or toddler around. The biggest mistakes of all Chinese family is giving up everything for the children and neglected each other. A majority of Chinese parents are very unhappy in a marriage. Their body language said it all from my observation at Sam Woo, China Garden and other Irvine restaurants.

This is not just a Chinese problem but I am using it as an example because Chinese gave up a lot for their children.

What is that saying; the best thing you can give your kids is a strong marriage... we all fall into that trap of just talking about the kids, especially with other parents at church.. there are other parents that we don't know at all, because the conversation always revolves around the kids... it's just so hard, staying in touch with all the 09 parents, we're all still so zoned out, and all we can do is vent to each other...

Many of you live in a city with no redeeming romantic picturesque quality and lets not fall further into the black hole in your personal life that only evolved around children's nap time, Costco, Target and open houses. I do homes for a living and I don't even attend open houses religiously like many of you.

I'm beginning to see a more of a complete OC lifestyle picture; now that I'm a parent for almost a year now... being a parent is so hectic and chaotic that we crave <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5047/">convince, comfort, safety</a> & <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5062/">stability</a>... the real reason we all love Irvine is because in a harsh world where nature is constantly trying to kill us; where so many circumstances are out of our control; where there are bad people trying to rob, hurt, steal and hurt us; we long for a place where there is complete order, predictability, beauty and peace... too bad it doesn't exist except for heaven...

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1259068382]I'm beginning to see a more of a complete OC lifestyle picture; now that I'm a parent for almost a year now... being a parent is so hectic and chaotic that we crave <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5047/">convince, comfort, safety</a> & <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5062/">stability</a>... the real reason we all love Irvine is because in a harsh world where nature is constantly trying to kill us; where so many circumstances are out of our control; where there are bad people trying to rob, hurt, steal and hurt us; we long for a place where there is complete order, predictability, beauty and peace... too bad it doesn't exist except for heaven...</blockquote>

"You have nothing to fear but fear itself" FDR

"In Irvine the danger is not getting youself killed by others but getting killed by yourself" Lt. John Hare.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1259066190]What is that saying; the best thing you can give your kids is a strong marriage... <strong>we all fall into that trap of just talking about the kids</strong>, especially with other parents at church.. there are other parents that we don't know at all, because the conversation always revolves around the kids... it's just so hard, staying in touch with all the 09 parents, we're all still so zoned out, and all we can do is vent to each other...</blockquote>

this is to all the parents that just talk about their kids, FYI - people with no kids, could care less about your kids! Do not talk to people with no kids about your kids, the only one gives a $hit about your kids, is you.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1259073196][quote author="roundcorners" date=1259066190]What is that saying; the best thing you can give your kids is a strong marriage... <strong>we all fall into that trap of just talking about the kids</strong>, especially with other parents at church.. there are other parents that we don't know at all, because the conversation always revolves around the kids... it's just so hard, staying in touch with all the 09 parents, we're all still so zoned out, and all we can do is vent to each other...</blockquote>

this is to all the parents that just talk about their kids, FYI - people with no kids, could care less about your kids! Do not talk to people with no kids about your kids, the only one gives a $hit about your kids, is you.</blockquote>

When parents are so up tight about their kids by planning their kids whole entire future when they are only 6 months old. The invisible pressure on the kids not to disappoint their parents take away the children's childhood that parents have gone through so much is providing the proper environment for.

8 out 10 Irvine kids attending Pioneer that I talked to are unhappy with their childhood despite of the perfect environment they are provided for.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258797648]LA, Pasadena, San Marino, Arcadia, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century city, and Santa Monica on a weekly rotation. Within each cities are ethnic restaurants, boutique bookstores, art galleries, museums, Saks, Neiman, Barneys, Laemmles theatres, Grove, Old Town, vintage hardware, Robertson boutiques, vintage home tours and neighborhoods, and of course herb stores and two story Target in the city. We are hardly home but when we are home usually out in the rear courtyard by the fireplace.

Friday night is usually Rowland Height for Chinese Cafe.</blockquote>

Oh my Gosh!! I was right!! BK, thru your various postings. I was able to narrow down your house. I think what really gave it away was once you'd mentioned a Surgeon whom lived across the street from you. Woohoo!!

After 5 days of dealing with adults who act like kids... the 2 days and the 5 nights with my actual kids is actually nice.

And FYI... most parents don't talk about their kids to non-parents... at least I don't. Usually I don't bring my kids up unless asked or I'm talking to someone else with kids.

But regardless, have and have nots shouldn't prevent you from a conversation, people talk about pets, sports or whatever that I don't necessarily have in common but it's nice to hear about something different... or does qwerty only have conversations with people who share every single aspect of their life with him/her?

Back