What do you do for a living?

I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha

[quote author="reason" date=1249303223]None of your business. And you're a show off.</blockquote>
BOOOOO! I met Panda this weekend and I got the curious bug.

Btw, my mom's boyfriend stated to me that being a consultant = someone who can't find a real job. :p

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249302769]I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha</blockquote>

I thought you were polish? But it sounds like you are one of the Jamaicans from the old hit show "In Living Color" with their five/six jobs.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249303355][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249302769]I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha</blockquote>

I thought you were polish? But it sounds like you are one of the Jamaicans from the old hit show "In Living Color" with their five/six jobs.</blockquote>

Yeah, SCman. How the heck do you find time to post on the forum? Not to mention beating me to the fast food restaurants. Haha.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249303355][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249302769]I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha</blockquote>

I thought you were polish? But it sounds like you are one of the Jamaicans from the old hit show "In Living Color" with their five/six jobs.</blockquote>
Haha I am Polish the last time I checked (although grandma has an issue with that since I hate most Polish food). At least all those things keep me busy so I stay out of trouble (it also keeps me from becoming a wanna-be professional poker player).

[quote author="reason" date=1249303496][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303355][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249302769]I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha</blockquote>

Yeah, SCman. How the heck do you find time to post on the forum? Not to mention beating me to the fast food restaurants. Haha.</blockquote>
I gots skillz baby! Plus I'm a believer that sleep is for the weak and highly overrated. lol All that explains, including being an IHB post whore and not finding time to workout, why I've gained 10lbs since the beginning of the year. :/

CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249303850][quote author="reason" date=1249303496][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303355][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249302769]I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha</blockquote>

Yeah, SCman. How the heck do you find time to post on the forum? Not to mention beating me to the fast food restaurants. Haha.</blockquote>
I gots skillz baby! Plus I'm a believer that sleep is for the weak and highly overrated. lol All that explains, including being an IHB post whore and not finding time to workout, why I've gained 10lbs since the beginning of the year. :/</blockquote>

Same here with the sleeping regiment. I think I average about 5 hours a night.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Just one word. Impressive.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>
Very cool, so you got a good handle on all the new FASBs that have come out over the past few years? Did you work at one of the Big 4 CPA firms? I wish I had stayed at PWC a bit longer (left after 4 years in 2001) to get SOX experience from the public accounting side. Do you work with/interact with your company's external auditors?

[quote author="reason" date=1249304319][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249303850][quote author="reason" date=1249303496][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303355][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249302769]I'm kinda curious to hear what folks on the forum do for a living (this includes if you are a stay at home parent because that is a job within itself). I currently work as a consultant in the commercial real estate industry specializing in special asset valuation/work-out as my full-time job. I'm also a realtor here in Southern California and Las Vegas and am currently working with a handful of buyers. Last but not least, I'm working towards getting my CPA license because when the consulting project ends and I don't get on another consulting/FIDC project I'm seriously considering starting up a financial/CPA consulting company (once I have my CPA, of course). Because after all, having a CPA = street cred. haha</blockquote>

I gots skillz baby! Plus I'm a believer that sleep is for the weak and highly overrated. lol All that explains, including being an IHB post whore and not finding time to workout, why I've gained 10lbs since the beginning of the year. :/</blockquote>

Same here with the sleeping regiment. I think I average about 5 hours a night.</blockquote>
I'll tell you my secret though....I do catch up on my sleep on Sundays (since I have my CPA review classes at 8am on most Saturdays).

[quote author="reason" date=1249304359][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Just one word. Impressive.</blockquote>
Exactly...compared to qwenty I have career ADD and sounds like I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. haha

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304818][quote author="reason" date=1249304359][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Exactly...compared to qwenty I have career ADD and sounds like I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. haha</blockquote>

Scman, and compare you to me. ....I am still in kindergarten. Haha.

[quote author="reason" date=1249305058][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304818][quote author="reason" date=1249304359][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Exactly...compared to qwenty I have career ADD and sounds like I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. haha</blockquote>

Scman, and compare you to me. ....I am still in kindergarten. Haha.</blockquote>
No way man, I'm sure you got it going on just like qwenty but you are just being modest. Most of the people on here are intelligent and have interesting careers.

Btw, I have some El Pollo and La Salsa coupons that I need a second person to use (you know, those buy one get one free coupons) so lets have a mini-IHB meet. lol

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249305342][quote author="reason" date=1249305058][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304818][quote author="reason" date=1249304359][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Scman, and compare you to me. ....I am still in kindergarten. Haha.</blockquote>
No way man, I'm sure you got it going on just like qwenty but you are just being modest. Most of the people on here are intelligent and have interesting careers.

Btw, I have some El Pollo and La Salsa coupons that I need a second person to use (you know, those buy one get one free coupons) so lets have a mini-IHB meet. lol</blockquote>

This bromance is starting to read like a Nicholas Sparks novel ;).

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1249305614][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249305342][quote author="reason" date=1249305058][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304818][quote author="reason" date=1249304359][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Btw, I have some El Pollo and La Salsa coupons that I need a second person to use (you know, those buy one get one free coupons) so lets have a mini-IHB meet. lol</blockquote>

This bromance is starting to read like a Nicholas Sparks novel ;).</blockquote>
And what's wrong with a little bromance on IHB, eh? Reason and I share a common interest of fast food coupon clipping, don't be jealous. :p

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304556][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>
Very cool, so you got a good handle on all the new FASBs that have come out over the past few years? Did you work at one of the Big 4 CPA firms? I wish I had stayed at PWC a bit longer (left after 4 years in 2001) to get SOX experience from the public accounting side. Do you work with/interact with your company's external auditors?</blockquote>

I am up to date on on all the FASBs, have to be. I used to work at a Big 4, left when i was a manager. I did a couple of years of 404 audits while i was still their, including the first year implementations, that was very helpful. I do interact with our external auditors for quarterly reviews, the year end audit and the SOX testing throughout the year.

Four years of public is pretty good, however, a lot of higher level accounting positions (controllers/financial reporting, etc) typically prefer that you have managerial experience at the Big 4, but with your CPA/MBA combo you should be able to overcome that should that be the avenue you wish to pursue, although you seem to be well suited for a high level finance role, more than an accounting type role based on your experience. I used to tell all my buddies when a bunch of us started out together in the Big 4 that they should stay and do at least one year as manager. None of them listened to me, now their climb to the top will be much longer and harder. I am much more accomplished than they are at the age of 32, for the majority of them to get close to where i am now they will probably be closer to 40 is my guess. All they had to was be patient in the beginning of their career for the bigger payoff down the road, but they chose to get more money in the beginning, not realizing they were stunting their career growth and future earnings potential. Now they are way behind what i make.

Given my work experience hopefully the next role in a couple of years is some sort of VP role at a larger public company or potentially a CFO role (likely a smaller or same size as the company im at), although given my age i think the CFO role will likely have to wait until im closer to 40 so employers feel more comfortable with my age. Not many companies are going to make a 35 year old a CFO, although you never know. One of my big 4 mentors became a VP/Controller at a multi-billion dollar company at the old age of 34 (now 36), she could probably have her pick of most CFO jobs in Southern California

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249305342][quote author="reason" date=1249305058][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304818][quote author="reason" date=1249304359][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>

Do you think I am that cheap, dude? Trying to bribe me with some coupons? hahaha!

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249305797][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249304556][quote author="qwerty" date=1249303981]CPA, no longer practice public accounting though. Currently Im the Director of Financial Reporting for a public company, so I oversee all of my company's SEC filings and am in charge of all technical accounting and research. I also oversee our internal audit department that performs SOX/operational/compliance audits.</blockquote>
Very cool, so you got a good handle on all the new FASBs that have come out over the past few years? Did you work at one of the Big 4 CPA firms? I wish I had stayed at PWC a bit longer (left after 4 years in 2001) to get SOX experience from the public accounting side. Do you work with/interact with your company's external auditors?</blockquote>

I am up to date on on all the FASBs, have to be. I used to work at a Big 4, left when i was a manager. I did a couple of years of 404 audits while i was still their, including the first year implementations, that was very helpful. I do interact with our external auditors for quarterly reviews, the year end audit and the SOX testing throughout the year.

Four years of public is pretty good, however, a lot of higher level accounting positions (controllers/financial reporting, etc) typically prefer that you have managerial experience at the Big 4, but with your CPA/MBA combo you should be able to overcome that should that be the avenue you wish to pursue, although you seem to be well suited for a high level finance role, more than an accounting type role based on your experience. I used to tell all my buddies when a bunch of us started out together in the Big 4 that they should stay and do at least one year as manager. None of them listened to me, now their climb to the top will be much longer and harder. I am much more accomplished than they are at the age of 32, for the majority of them to get close to where i am now they will probably be closer to 40 is my guess. All they had to was be patient in the beginning of their career for the bigger payoff down the road, but they chose to get more money in the beginning, not realizing they were stunting their career growth and future earnings potential. Now they are way behind what i make.

Given my work experience hopefully the next role in a couple of years is some sort of VP role at a larger public company or potentially a CFO role (likely a smaller or same size as the company im at), although given my age i think the CFO role will likely have to wait until im closer to 40 so employers feel more comfortable with my age. Not many companies are going to make a 35 year old a CFO.</blockquote>
You make a great point, looking back at things I should have stayed that extra 18-24 months and gotten that manager title under my belt but I just didn't see the appeal at the time to stay any longer as I was getting a bit burned out on public accounting. One of my friends even brought up the idea that maybe I should consider going back to school to get my MBT from USC because getting a job on the tax side is so much easier than the accounting/finance side (hell no am I spending another $50k and going back to school, if I'm gonna do that I might as well go to pharm school). I'll also say that the consulting job has really made me seriously think about starting up my own company since I really feel that I can provide a value added service to small business owners given my accounting/tax/banking experience. I mean, I don't have to deal with the office drama and corporate politics that you have to deal with in the corporate environment which is very refreshing to me because I've worked at larger companies since entering the work force. Another reason why I'm really leaning towards starting my own consulting business is that after talking to a few search firms, the highest level position I can hope for even with the CPA in hand is a senior accountant/senior financial analyst position since I made the shift into the commercial real estate lending world after public accounting. And then there was Panda asking me about why I don't become a full-time realtor this weekend. I guess you can say I'm sorta at a major crossroads in my professional career but if you had to pin me down I'd say that I want to either run my own business or become a CFO.

Back