What $850k can get you in Santa Ana... err North Tustin

irvinehomeowner

P820555_1.jpg

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/10811-Bronco-Cir-92705/home/4768022

Huge lot (almost half an acre), views, cul-de-sac, updated... and of course a 3CWG.

The listing says "Short Sale" yet:

May 14, 2012 Pending (Backup Offers Accepted) -- -- CRMLS #1
May 02, 2012 Price Changed $844,000 -- CRMLS #1
May 01, 2012 Listed (Active) $850,000 -- CRMLS #1
Jan 11, 2012 Sold (Public Records)
This home was sold at a foreclosure auction. $686,400 -- Public Records

It was foreclosed on for $686k.

rkp... why don't you get something like this?

i love how everyone on TI is helping me find a house :)

my wifes parents live above these houses so we know the area fairly well and even spent a few hours driving around the flat portion and hilly portion of north tustin last week. 

the hills have gorgeous houses and just driving around, i can imagine feeling like i am at a big bear cabin or some place like that.  this house or similar would be awesome 10 years from now but with a baby, we want something a bit more walkable.  there are no sidewalks and very few street lights in this area.  and you dont see any kids.  a lot of older folks but not many kids at all. 

ihs talks about my love for west LA but some of the best times i had growing up were when we still lived in an apartment on a crappy street full of apartments.  there would be a million kids to play with and i spent every day doing something outside.  i guess i would like something similar. 

i take my daughter to either citrus park, santiago hills park, or bill barber park every day and i see tons of folks at all of those parks.  i took her to one of the big turtle rock parks 2 days in a row and both days, it was just us or us and 1 other youngin.  regardless of what anyone says, the newer communities have a lot more young families. 

now the biggest ?, why dont you buy that IHO?  3CWG!!!

rkp said:
now the biggest ?, why dont you buy that IHO?  3CWG!!!
Because I'm the Unicorn Hunter.

Plus I don't need that much space and it's farther from where the Mrs. works.

But... we do look every once in a while.

From the parks you mention... sounds like Tustin Ranch would really work for you.

Tustin Ranch would definitely work for us and is on our short list.  Its really down to LR, WB, NWP, and Tustin Ranch (TRch to not confuse with Turtle Rock). 

The prices at TRch are actually higher than WB though for similar size houses.  Lot sizes are slightly bigger and the overall area looks way nicer than most of the grid communities of Irvine though. 

We have made offers in all of the neighborhoods so definitely open to it.

I'm thinking this home has to close higher than $850k. I'm actually surprised it got foreclosed on at $700k unless the bank just kept it.

Looking at comps in the area, they seem to be near the $1m mark.

rkp said:
We have made offers in all of the neighborhoods so definitely open to it.
It sounds like you make quite a few offers... why haven't any of them stuck? Are you lowballing too low?

OT, can you still make an offer on a house that is "pending" on Redfin? Whats the chances of getting the offer accepted?

Jenita143 said:
OT, can you still make an offer on a house that is "pending" on Redfin? Whats the chances of getting the offer accepted?
Redfin agents will not allow buyers to make or view properties that are in "pending" status.  There is "back-up offer" status which typically means that contingencies have not been lifted and the seller may or may not be accepting back-up offers.  When you see a "pending" status that typically means that the seller does not want to show the property and/or will not accept any other offers as all buyer contingencies have been lifted.  Properties drop out of escrow for various reasons so if you really like a property it's worth having your agent making a call over to the listing agent to see if they will accept a back-up. 

Jenita143 said:
Thanks!! The listing says "pending" and back up offers are accepted.
Best bet would be to contact the listing agent and inquire whether they are accepting back-up offers.

We looked and looked and looked in N. Tustin, and even made several offers.  We really tried hard to get a house on Equestrian, but lost out.  N. Tustin offers you nice lots with great potential to create "charm" (subjective, of course). 

The area, as RKP acknowledged, is a bit different.  You get the original owners from the 60's mixed in with some younger families - so yes, much less of that young feel.  That being said, there were several open houses we went to where friendly people introduced themselves as neighbors and talked about how great the neighborhood was. 

The downsides for us were similar to RKPs comments - dark streets, park proximity, and younger feel.  I know the N. Tustin will eventually turn over, but it's harder for me to get into the place.  Beyond that, all the houses we looked at needed substantial upgrades.  Those that had been upgraded were really not to our liking. 

We live in this area in the hills around the OC Mining Company and I agree with what's been said so far. The following are all my thoughts on the area, pros and cons, etc...

We were house hunting while pregnant so we were concerned about a "walkable" area too and despite that concern we were just too jazzed on the house we finally settled on to make it a priority. We had been looking regularly since 2005 and every house had moderate compromises with only moderate benefits. This was the first house where the compromises were small and the benefits were huge.

All that said....

It IS dark on the hills. Yes.  :) However, I grew up in rural Connecticut and I miss the darkness of large swaths of countryside absent of solar flare arc lighting. Even when I was renting an apartment in Irvine I thought about how to make the lamps on the outside of the building "burn out." There is something very "country" about the darkness. Add in the crickets and the coyote howls and it really feels like I'm out in the middle of nowhere even though I am smack inside OC. Joyously, my neighbors only have soft accent lighting at night so no permanent "headlights" in my windows. So for me, I prefer the darkness of the hills.

It IS an older crowd. The neighbors on either side of me are safely in their retirement years, but the upside is that they are quiet, friendly, respectful and have lived in the neighborhood forever so they are proud of it and maintain their properties. A month after I moved in, we had a wind storm and a tree on my property tore off some of my neighbors roof tiles. Lucky me. Welcome to home ownership. When I offered to pay for the repairs to my neighbor, he was really happy, very polite and said he wasn't even going to ask me about it because it didn't seem fair since I had just moved in. I had the repairs done and I hope word gets around that I want to be a good neighbor. I have a daughter now so I guess I am leading the charge to flip these hills into a more kid populated place... :p

It IS hilly and narrow. Since we were pregnant then, and we are parents now, I agree there is no real place to push a stroller. Walking the hills is fine, but I would not want to do it with a baby as the roads are narrow and curvy with areas that have no shoulder (although I have seen some people doing it further down on my street). Bummer, I agree. However, after the first month we got into a routine of hopping in the car and heading downhill to any one of the many parks in the area. It only takes about 10 minutes from door to door and it hasn't been that inconvenient, especially when weighed against the benefits of the area, plus we (or just she) gets a Starbucks out of it if we feel like making the stop. Now we've expanded stroller-ing to Fashion Island, South Coast, the beach, etc... so it was only inconvenient for a short period of time. Our current challenge will be a yard, as a hill is not conducive to playing soccer or putting up a swingset. Many of these areas are unincorporated so you have a lot of leeway in what you do with your land, so my plan is to put in a retaining wall and backfill a flat area for a yard that I can then kill all the grass under a sea of toys. So I agree, there are challenges, and being able to walk out the door with a stroller is a nice benefit...for us it just wasn't enough to overcome everything else.

Many of the homes ARE in need of upgrades. We looked at several homes in this area and that was the biggest complaint from my wife. The outsides had tremendous views and unique styles but the insides had been neglected for decades. I've never seen so much gold crackled glass, pine cabinet doors and linoleum floors. In some houses, the decade changed depending on what room you were standing in. There was one house that I thought had incredible views and a lot of potential but there was no swaying my wife into it because the entire house was filled with NEW wall to wall hot pink carpet and though there were some recent updates, it was too far from her style and would eventually have to be replaced, which would be a waste. I still keep an eye on the listings and there have been, I think, some excellent deals in this area on homes that have been maintained and upgraded but the listings are few and far between partly because listings in general are few and far between and then those that list have these problems.

On the upside, the lots are pretty big, the landscaping is mature, the area is unincorporated allowing for easy build ups, outs and downs, no association or Mello-Roos, cheap "Government land rental tribute payments" - errr - I mean property taxes, the architecture tends to be very unique, the homes run pretty big. In fact I've noticed the better the view, the smaller the home and vice versa, but when I say "smaller" I mean relative to the other homes which run big anyway.

In fact, there are only three things I would advise someone to consider when looking in this area. First, parking is not always easy. The roads are nice and wide with lots of parking in some areas and very narrow with little street parking in others, it's luck of the draw and it changes every 100 feet of road.

Second, make sure you are not near a rental with bad renters. There is one down the street that is far enough away not to bother us, but I feel sorry for its neighbors. There are a lot of people in it so at any time there are six or more cars sucking up all the available parking around the property making it hard for their neighbors to find parking. They throw parties a lot and sometimes there is trash scattered on the road. Bad, bad renters.

Third, the area is one of the fly-overs for planes on approach to JWA. The cutoff is 10pm or 11pm depending on weekday or weekend. Oddly, five or six will fly over back to back, and then nothing for hours. It doesn't bother us, but it might bother some people.

Final comments: I would say about 20% of the area is a high-fire zone, specifically anything backing up against the Peters Canyon Reservoir area. Much of the area (including where I am) is a low fire-danger zone, however. I also had a geological survey done on the soil since it is a hill after all, and it came back fine. The hills are volcanic rock and stable. They are expansive soils but the house has a caisson foundation which is designed to handle that so it did not bother the inspector nor the geologists. I noted on one of the reports that there is a flat area between the hills that is subject to liquefaction, so keep that in mind when looking around.

I know everyone's tastes are different and some things mean more to some than others, but I hope this saves some time for some people looking around in this area. All things considered, for us, so far...so GREAT! :)

@ctnative:

Great post about North Tustin living. I really like the big lots... but can't get over some of the things you mentioned including the distance from where we circulate regularly.

I hear ya. I rented in Irvine for 8 years, first at Las Palmas and then at Woodbury. Had a nice brand new carriage unit in Woodbury, with nobody above or below, only one shared wall in the bedroom to my neighbors bedroom, corner unit with a nice view of trees and quiet street. The best apartment I've ever had and I've been renting in OC since 1992. One thing I always had to have was a balcony. So our priority list for homes looked something like this: 1. View 2. View 3. View 4. Walk-in Closet. Guess which one was not mine.

Living in Irvine was great. Each blade of grass was hand-cut and bird song from Disneyland was broadcast everywhere from speakers I could never find. I mean really, it was so well maintained and designed that I could not imagine how to make it any better. Everyone was friendly, plenty of local retail, access to everything, SO walkable...but I have to say living in Irvine really raises the bar on what you're looking for. You need something you are so happy with that it beats living in a place like Irvine, and that is really hard to do.

Irvine was perfect for us to buy a house in except for two things: 1) Price. Too much money for too small a space compared to anything outside of Irvine and 2) Uniformity. Irvine is beautiful, but being from New England, it had none of that 'charm' for me and I really miss that from CT.

Since we were all about the view, and me being from CT, I am used to, and really like, inhomogeneous homes/neighborhoods that can have some visual character and unique style and architecture. So in N. Tustin, love the darkness, the large lots, the views, the freedom to build anything, no HOA, no Mello-Roos. If those were the most important criteria in our home search, you can imagine how difficult it was to find that in all of OC and why it made it really hard to leave Irvine for anything less then EXACTLY what we wanted. Short of finding the perfect house, we were staying.

Of course everyone is different, so the perfect house is always different, but if you're going to lay low on the leeward side to ride out a storm while you look and look like we did, Irvine is the place to do it.

Some other thoughts on the negatives of the N. Tustin hills:

1. I was a little worried about the planes originally, but clearly that is an infrequently used approach path as hours can go by without a single plane, then one or two planes, then hours of nothing again, or like I said, six in a row then nothing for hours. But still, there ARE planes and that could bother some people.

2. I was also worried about the commute. I work next to JWA, so it added about ten minutes for a total of 25 mins. I mostly just shoot down Jamboree from Santiago Canyon which is a smooth ride, only a couple reds, to Irvine Blvd. Depending on the construction at the 5 I stay on Jam or hop on the toll road then over to Von Karmen. Not too bad. 10 mins more than when I was in Woodbury, but its a more "smooth" ten minutes, if that makes any sense, because I am not on the 405 with stop and go.

3. One more thing I thought of last night...if you have small dogs or cats, I would say I see a new MISSING poster on the telephone poles every other month. Pretty sure we have the fattest coyotes in SoCal.

4. My house, so I imagine the others, has a sewer ejector. Never seen one before. The thought of it failing terrifies me...lol. For the uninitiated, its an up-hill sewer pump. Whenever you run water, the pump goes off every few minutes or so to pump everything up to the main lines at street level.

5. The homes can be very VERTICAL. I remember in Irvine the 3-story condos were called "wife killers" when they put the laundry room on the first floor and all the bedrooms upstairs. Many of these homes have LOTS of stairs, so again, with kids, it has to be considered. In our case there is a laundry room with a laundry chute from the master bedroom with only one floor elevation difference so not too bad. But if you leave your keys in the family room and your garage is on the top floor, you are going to have a Rocky in Philly moment. Happens a lot. On the bright side, I think I'm losing weight.  :p

6. My neighbors told us the first week we moved in about the wind on the hills. They said it can get bad enough to blow tiles off the roof and that everyone uses the same roof company after a wind storm for the volume discount. Since we had no outdoor furniture it didn't matter (except for tree vs. neighbor's roof), but that first month it was damn windy. I was used to wind and Santa Ana's in Irvine, but this is much windier, gustier I should say. It gets funneled between the hills so it accelerates. Definitely will blow off or over anything that isn't heavy, weighted down, or has a flat surface. That said, it's been many months since that wind and its never been windy again soooo...limited event.

7. Watch for the flips. I think there are a few going on right now. I try to do the OPEN HOUSES on them when I can, both before and after so I can see how they did their crud covering.

8. From what I've seen, people I've talked to there doesn't seem to be much crime on the hills. That might have to do a lot with everyone knowing everyone and being there for so long, the vertical-ness of the homes make it harder for people to hide or do something unseen, and everyone has home alarm systems. BUT, the area down on Chapman to the 55 is definitely not Irvine. I wouldn't say it's "bad" as in I would feel fine walking there at night, but it would probably be uncomfortable for anyone used to Irvine (people showing up in car trunks aside). Also something to consider. Definitely worth taking a spin down the street to get a feel for it in case it might bother you. If you go on the OTHER SIDE of the OC Mining Company, its no problem at all, quite nice actually. Just the strip from OCMC to the 55.

9. Since it IS so vertical on the hills, your have less privacy than you might be used to. Apartment living got me used to staring at other people's windows (not intentionally - unless she was cute - j/k) so that may have gotten me used to it. The upside is that the hill IS so vertical that my roof is in line with the bottom of my cross-the-street neighbors backyard...so his windows are so much higher up that they would have to actually come to their balcony or right up to their window glass and purposely look straight DOWN on my property. In flat spaces like Irvine in homes surrounded by walls, this is less of a concern.

Back