Weird Designs?

4walls4me_IHB

<p>Hi! Just visted some Irvine builder models (condos/townhouses in Portolo Springs mostly) for the first time and am stunned by the odd designs. </p>

<p>What is with the impossibly small 2nd bedrooms? You can't fit a full size bed in there. At San Carlos, I asked the sales lady and she said the extra "bedrooms" would "be great office space." Wonderful, so I'd really be buying a 1-bedroom with 2 small offices. Maybe you could use 1 as an office, but the other is wasted space.</p>

<p>At Decada, the second bedroom of plan 1 was more reasonable, but it had this odd "loft" area that was too small to do anything with. Maybe put a tiny desk in...but is my messy desk what i want to see at the top of the staircase? Do I want to chase papers and books as they roll down the stairs b/c I can't fit a bookshelf?</p>

<p>Most importantly, is there a race right now for the most bathrooms a builder can pack into a place? In Decada plan 1, the far left side of the kitchen is a tight squeeze....b/c some genius decided it would be a good idea to put a pooper in the kitchen next to the microwave. Is the goal to see how much of the square footage can be used for giant bathrooms? Why don't they list these places as 2 bathrooms + 1 bedroom. Hey, I'd like a nice bathroom, but not at the expense of squeezing the 2nd bedrooms into something that's not large enough for the dog bed . Geez! </p>

<p>The $700-$900 fees on top of an insano mortgage have me more disillusioned that before. Props to whoever designed my apartment. </p>

<p>//rant over</p>

Well, it's like this, good designs will get bought, and badly designed units... will have harder time to sell.

I went to look at a few model homes recently, and noticed that the nice SFR's with master bedroom downstairs, are usually sold out. People are willing to pay a premium even in declining market for a well-designed home, but not the ones with weird floor plans.

i love when the models have the short beds like the ones you see as samples in dept stores or bed bath beyond.

Back