Water Softener and Filter System

Can always do an alkaline water system or remineralization RO system...of course this all costs more money.  But like eyephone and BTB says, its probably worth the price (note I didn't do either). 

@akkord:

So you just did water softener and RO? What kind of water softener system did they install? The only type I remember is the one my dad made me pour the rock salt into.

irvinehomeowner said:
@akkord:

So you just did water softener and RO? What kind of water softener system did they install? The only type I remember is the one my dad made me pour the rock salt into.

I have a carbon filter too so it's 2 tanks, 1 valve for the softener, and a salt container in the garage.  5 stage Pentair RO system under the sink.

Wasn't there a thread here somewhere about salt water softener systems not being allowed by the HOA/City of Irvine?

Just googled and it seems there are alternatives to salt water softener systems, is there anyone here who has one? How is it?

irvinehomeowner said:
Wasn't there a thread here somewhere about salt water softener systems not being allowed by the HOA/City of Irvine?

Just googled and it seems there are alternatives to salt water softener systems, is there anyone here who has one? How is it?

I don't know why that would be the case...doesn't make sense and quite literally impossible to enforce.

Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I don't know why that would be the case...doesn't make sense and quite literally impossible to enforce.

Don?t be surprised. There?s always a person that tries to ruin it for everybody.

While some cities in California ban them, they are only discouraged by Irvine:
https://irwd.com/liquid-news/water-softeners-can-impact-water-quality

We are often asked if we recommend any type of water treatment device, from water softeners to elaborate filtering systems. The water our customers receive from us meets and exceeds all state and federal mandates, so we don?t recommend any treatment systems. Your water is fine as it is.

However, we recognize that the water we receive from imported sources can be a lot harder than groundwater ? in other words, it has a high mineral content. Soft water has a lower mineral content, which some customers might prefer.

If you opt for a water softener for your home, there are a few facts of which you should be aware.

Water softeners which require periodic addition of rock salt or potassium are not encouraged by IRWD because of the discharge of salty brine into the wastewater system. IRWD recycles its wastewater and salt cannot be removed during the recycling process. Much of our recycled water is use for irrigation of public areas and some landscaping cannot tolerate the high salt content produced by water softeners.

But if you desire a water softener, there is an environmentally friendly option ? subscribe to a service that picks up and exchanges the cylinder so the salt does not go down the drain. Hooking up the water softener only to the hot water lines will save customers money, as well.

So they suggest using a cartridge exchange service so that the salt doesn't go to the waste water system.

I guess the system I'm looking for is a water conditioner, I'm just trying to prevent scaling and build up with a low maintenance system (and it addresses Mety's concern as it doesn't remove the minerals).

Conditioners aren't as good, someone else on TI had it and they replaced with softener and carbon filter and it was way better in their experience.  If you do go conditioner route, let us know how it works out, I hope it does work as you expect it to.  *Note the RO removes all the minerals, not the softener. 

akkord said:
Conditioners aren't as good, someone else on TI had it and they replaced with softener and carbon filter and it was way better in their experience.  If you do go conditioner route, let us know how it works out, I hope it does work as you expect it to.  *Note the RO removes all the minerals, not the softener. 

Yeah, I'm trying to find that thread.

From what I read the softener exchanges hard minerals for softer ones, which is what I meant about removing minerals. Conditioners are supposed to change the properties of the minerals so they tend not to stick to prevent scaling. I have a tankless water heater and that's really my main concern. Plus, I periodically have to clean the shower heads due to build up.

The softener would help with both your issues. 

We have 2 tankless water heaters. Before the softener, I flushed them once a year, takes a little over an hour for 1 of them, but once its setup and circulating the vinegar, you can step away for 45 mins or so.  Based on what I've read and heard from the various companies I talked to, you no longer have to flush it after the softener, but I'll probably still do it every 2-3 years since it only costs vinegar (buy in bulk at Costco) and I already have the pump and hoses.   

irvinehomeowner said:
akkord said:

Yeah, I'm trying to find that thread.

From what I read the softener exchanges hard minerals for softer ones, which is what I meant about removing minerals. Conditioners are supposed to change the properties of the minerals so they tend not to stick to prevent scaling. I have a tankless water heater and that's really my main concern. Plus, I periodically have to clean the shower heads due to build up.

System installed in my house. Very noticeable difference in the water quality especially while showering and just general residue left on fixtures. What's my next project to splurge on?  8)

Cares said:
System installed in my house. Very noticeable difference in the water quality especially while showering and just general residue left on fixtures. What's my next project to splurge on?  8)

A new/bigger TV is always nice  ;D
Haiku Ceiling Fans are a splurge now that they've gone up in price to where I can't justify them anymore
Closet and garage built ins if not already done

Unfortunately there's always something to fix or upgrade as a homeowner, it's never ending

Well I have a 2019 home so everything is in good working order still. Hopefully nothing needs repair.

The garage is already finished but I'm considering putting in racks at the top. I don't want built ins because then it'll limit the space of the garage and also because I have 2x car chargers along the walls.

Back