Was your child's elementary school one in 19 districts to win a Gold Ribbon?

Weren't parents complaining about Woodbury that's why they switched to Stonegate which wasn't on the list.

IUSD was sad... especially compared to TUSD (go Tustin Legacy!)... but not as bad as SVUSD (Baker Ranch just dropped in pricing!!!).

irvinehomeowner said:
Weren't parents complaining about Woodbury that's why they switched to Stonegate which wasn't on the list.

IUSD was sad... especially compared to TUSD (go Tustin Legacy!)... but not as bad as SVUSD (Baker Ranch just dropped in pricing!!!).

Wow...didn't see that coming. Wondering if its the FCB kids that are having a negative impact.

If you read the Register article, it states that schools "win" by nominating themselves with a written application explaining why the school's model program was adopted and how it benefits students.  The one example they gave was some school in Anaheim - it was recognized for its parent involvement program.  Don't think Gold Ribbon is all about academics per se... it probably can but not necessarily.

bones said:
If you read the Register article, it states that schools "win" by nominating themselves with a written application explaining why the school's model program was adopted and how it benefits students.  The one example they gave was some school in Anaheim - it was recognized for its parent involvement program.  Don't think Gold Ribbon is all about academics per se... it probably can but not necessarily.
True, I think almost every school gets a Gold Ribbon in their lifetime, I see that phrase at almost every Elem I've visited.

irvinehomeowner said:
True, I think almost every school gets a Gold Ribbon in their lifetime, I see that phrase at almost every Elem I've visited.

You're thinking of a Blue Ribbon. The Gold Ribbon was recently created. It replaces the Distinguished School award, which is on hiatus.

Yikes, so now the CA selection committee is discriminating against the braniacs of IUSD...like the Ivies.  Do you really want to live in Irvine?  :p

Whether you live in Irvine or not, Asian kids and students will always be whipping boys/girls in education and college entrance process.  Asians are just too quite when it comes to discrimination and unfair treatment, and no strong political power exists for them.

ex) No one says anything about too many blacks in NBA, too many Hispanics in MLB, too many whites in NHL but as soon as Korean female golfers were winning a few too many times, all went up in arms...

I heard that there was a Chinese education "expert" telling Chinese parents at one of the college preparation seminar that compared to Asian kids, blacks and Hispanics could get in top schools with 280 points and 230 points less on SAT scores, respectively.  Asian kids have to stand out in different ways and areas on top of being straight As students with near perfect scores to have a shot at top schools.  I don't know if this was 100% sure since I wasn't there but it's no secret that affirmative action is strong in college application process.  Asian kids have to get 2300 or more on SAT to even have a remote chance to go to a crowd, not so great UCLA while if you are black, you could walk in with full scholarship as a genius with sub 2000 who may not even be ready for college level English or math... 

Just like most of these school awards/rankings, these are pretty meaningless. It's hard to believe anyone takes these things seriously. I think I'm going to invent the Traceimage Award and give it to schools I deem worthy. It's going to be based on the number of parent spaces in the school parking lot, the uniqueness of the school mascot and colors, and the attractiveness of the school's principal and office staff. Schools across Orange County will be clamoring for a Traceimage Award!

traceimage said:
Just like most of these school awards/rankings, these are pretty meaningless. It's hard to believe anyone takes these things seriously. I think I'm going to invent the Traceimage Award and give it to schools I deem worthy. It's going to be based on the number of parent spaces in the school parking lot, the uniqueness of the school mascot and colors, and the attractiveness of the school's principal and office staff. Schools across Orange County will be clamoring for a Traceimage Award!

So who wins it this year?

irvineorbust said:
I heard that there was a Chinese education "expert" telling Chinese parents at one of the college preparation seminar that compared to Asian kids, blacks and Hispanics could get in top schools with 280 points and 230 points less on SAT scores, respectively.  Asian kids have to stand out in different ways and areas on top of being straight As students with near perfect scores to have a shot at top schools.  I don't know if this was 100% sure since I wasn't there but it's no secret that affirmative action is strong in college application process.

Interesting. I just read a nearly identical comment on ABC7's Facebook page today, where someone commented that black and hispanic students are being given a 230 point handicap (or whatever word they used, I don't remember) on their SAT score. It was the same exact number you mentioned here. It was a comment on the news story about the kid from El Salvador who received 11 college acceptances including 6 Ivies. Meanwhile, plenty of whites and asians with better academics / extra-curriculars and higher SAT scores are receiving rejection letters. Also in the comments were a police officer and a firefighter saying that handicap also applied to their force when hiring and the were very upfront about that.

I would like to say that people actually do care about this stuff, silly as it may seem. Yesterday I was talking to a friend about Cypress Village Elementary, and she said it's a good school because it's only two years old and it has already won a Gold Ribbon. I told her that the Gold Ribbon isn't very meaningful because schools nominate themselves and probably most schools don't even bother, and who knows, maybe they give the award to every school that self-nominates. And then she looked at me like I was speaking Martian and had donkeys flying out of my head. So yeah, people care.

Asian or white kids with a stellar SAT score but living in a non-stereotypical city are a sure in. Numerous Ivy League graduates gave their testimony that this is true after reviewing their own admission record and notes from the admission officers.

SoCal said:
irvineorbust said:
I heard that there was a Chinese education "expert" telling Chinese parents at one of the college preparation seminar that compared to Asian kids, blacks and Hispanics could get in top schools with 280 points and 230 points less on SAT scores, respectively.  Asian kids have to stand out in different ways and areas on top of being straight As students with near perfect scores to have a shot at top schools.  I don't know if this was 100% sure since I wasn't there but it's no secret that affirmative action is strong in college application process.

Interesting. I just read a nearly identical comment on ABC7's Facebook page today, where someone commented that black and hispanic students are being given a 230 point handicap (or whatever word they used, I don't remember) on their SAT score. It was the same exact number you mentioned here. It was a comment on the news story about the kid from El Salvador who received 11 college acceptances including 6 Ivies. Meanwhile, plenty of whites and asians with better academics / extra-curriculars and higher SAT scores are receiving rejection letters. Also in the comments were a police officer and a firefighter saying that handicap also applied to their force when hiring and the were very upfront about that.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Asian or white kids with a stellar SAT score but living in a non-stereotypical city are a sure in. Numerous Ivy League graduates gave their testimony that this is true after reviewing their own admission record and notes from the admission officers.

SoCal said:
irvineorbust said:

Isn't this affirmative action, a very well known fact? I never understood why affirmative action didn't apply based on family income level and underserved areas - because it's not fair that an african american high schooler in Bel Air has lower standards for college admissions over an Asian kid in a very poor neighborhood with much less opportunity due to family income level.

Ivies are looking for standout future leaders.

Last year Irvine Uni high had something like 48 perfect SATs.

Sorry folks, that's not enough, with 48 getting it, going to uni and getting good grades and perfect SAT means you're just another drone following the boiler plate script.

Key word, following...

Not ivy material

nosuchreality said:
Ivies are looking for standout future leaders.

Last year Irvine Uni high had something like 48 perfect SATs.

Sorry folks, that's not enough, with 48 getting it, going to uni and getting good grades and perfect SAT means you're just another drone following the boiler plate script.

Key word, following...

Not ivy material

I agree. perfect GPA/ SAT while mastering a musical instrument and "volunteering" at the local homeless shelter is "yawn" boring to the Ivies. Esp these days in a world of technological advancements, young innovators galore it's not difficult to find true future leaders with drive to go beyond just being the "perfect" student. They want students like Malala who defy barriers and are proactive to make the world a better place. I love that they're this selective.

Back