WARNING: PS: Coyote Attack - 3 year old little girl

Gosh I try to be careful not to take the kids out walking after dark but this happened before 6pm... These Coyotes are getting brazen.

Maybe the child tried to pet the coyote thinking it was a dog and the wild animal bit her. Article doesn't share too many details but I could see that happening. My kids love dogs and always try to pet them - I don't think my 3 year old would know the difference between house dog and coyote.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/05/22/coyote-bites-3-year-old-girl-in-irvine/

Irvine Woman Rescues 3-Year-Old Girl From Coyote Attack
May 22, 2015 11:48 PM

IRVINE (CBSLA.com) ? A 3-year-old girl was attacked by a coyote Friday while playing with a friend in an Orange County park.

It happened around 5:50 p.m. at the corner of Equinox and Silverado, according to Irvine police.

The coyote charged at the girl ?out of nowhere? and lunged at her neck.

It could have ended much differently had it not been for a nearby resident who acted quickly.

Ginna McKenna was sitting on her patio when she spotted the attack, as told to CBS2?s Stacey Butler.

?A little girl was screaming and the mother was screaming, so I came running out and there was a coyote in the park. I chased [the coyote] off,? McKenna said. ?They were scared.?

The girl was taken to a hospital with what was described as a superficial wound to her neck.

Fish and Game and Animal Control officers with the Irvine P.D. are looking for the coyote.

Police say coyotes frequent the area, but it?s extremely rare for one to attack a person.

I have lived in Irvine for more than 30 years.  I encountered a very aggressive coyote in Portola Springs.  It charged me (I was alone).  I made myself big and yelled then got back into my car.  It circled the car three times before I saw it run into bushes and then attack a small dog on a leash.  The owner of the dog was whipping the coyote with part of the leash.  My son came out of the house and used a hockey stick to pound the ground and yell at it and the coyote finally ran off.

When I called animal control, you get the same "coyotes won't bother you" speech until I really was upset telling her I know the difference.  This one was aggressive.  Animal control called me back asking what street for their records and then said to call because a coyote was "misbehaving" around here.  She told me to use an air horn and don't turn my back on it but just keep the noise going until the animal turns away.  By the way, try to find an air  horn.  When I asked at Drugtore if they had any,  they assumesd it is for a graduation and you get a lecture.

I think more needs to be done because they are learning that humans are not prepared to harm them.

At minimum, I think the animal control people should be trapping them. It's one thing if they do their thing and we do ours. It's another thing when they have no fear and attack.

It's sad what happened to the little girl. Glad she is ok and it wasn't a serious injury. But let's not start with the massive over reaction about trapping/killing coyotes. Studies have shown trapping and relocating or killing them doesn't do do any good as another male just moves in and breeds.

Also, don't know all the details but the story says the mother was yelling, hopefully she was doing something more than just yelling. Then the comment about the dog owner whipping the coyote with the leash? How stupid can people be? Why weren't they kicking the coyote? Punching the coyote?  Whipping it? Idiot. When I was in Redondo a lab/retriever came out running at me and my dogs. I put my dogs behind me, crouched down, as soon as the dog got close I got by its collar and took it down to the ground and held it there until the owner caught up to it. There was no way I was letting that dog bite my dogs

Owner was trying to kick it while he yelled. Shows you how close the coyote was, and wouldn't leave,  that he could use part of the leash, his dog was on, as an extra desperate move.

I have seen multiple coyotes around Irvine during the day. 

One night, my wife and I were walking to dinner and came across a coyote.  We crossed the street to get away from it, and it merely crossed to the same side as us!  However, it didn't have much interest in us.

I agree with QWERTY -  we can't go around trapping every animal that may pose a threat.  When one lives close to their habitat, we must use caution. 

Should we ban dogs?
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/one-656005-dog-horses.html

Coleman said:
Trav25 said:
What do we do to aggressive dogs that harm humans??

What do we do to aggressive humans that harm humans??

We sure don't let them continue with the thought that only another will take its place. Coyotes are smart. Word will go out that you can't mess with the humans.

So does this mean I need to start carrying an air horn to the park and on my runs? I don't have calves like qwerty so not sure how useful my kicking would be.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/coyotes/tips/hazing_guidelines.html

Hazing

Hazing is a method that makes use of deterrents to move an animal out of an area or discourage an undesirable behavior or activity. Hazing can help maintain a coyote?s fear of humans and deter them from backyards and play spaces.

Methods of hazing

Using a variety of different hazing tools is critical so that coyotes don?t get used to redundant or single stimulus devices, sounds, and actions.

Yelling and waving your arms while approaching the coyote
    Noisemakers: Voice, whistles, air horns, bells, ?shaker? cans full of marbles or pennies, pots, lid or pie pans banged together
    Projectiles: sticks, small rocks, cans, tennis balls or rubber balls
    Other: hoses, water guns with vinegar water, spray bottles with vinegar water, pepper spray or bear repellent

?Go away coyote!?

The simplest method of hazing a coyote involves being loud and large:

Stand tall, wave your arms, and yell at the coyote, approaching him if necessary, until he runs away as demonstrated in this coyote hazing video.
    If a coyote has not been hazed before, he may not immediately run away when you yell at him. If this happens, you may need to walk towards the coyote and increase the intensity of your hazing.
    The coyote may run away, but then stop after a distance and look at you. It is important to continue to go after the coyote until he completely leaves the area.  You may need to use different tactics, such as noisemakers, stomping your feet, or spraying the coyote with a hose, to get him to leave.

Dog-walking tools

There are several tools that you can carry with you while walking your dog that can be used to repel coyotes.  These include:

Homemade noisemakers
    Whistle or small air horn (you can purchase small air horn ?necklaces?)
    Squirt guns
    Pepper spray
    Sticks or other objects to throw towards (but not at) the coyote

In your yard

Remember, keeping pets and pet food inside is the best way to keep coyotes out of your yard.  If you do encounter coyotes, all of the above methods can be used in your yard at home.  First, try the ?Go away coyote!? method (yell and wave your arms as you approach the coyote).  Here are some additional methods you can also use:

Squirt the coyote with your garden hose
    Spray the coyote with vinegar water
    Bang pots and pans together

Important things to remember

Never run away from a coyote!
    The coyote may not leave at first, but if you approach him closer and/or increase the intensity of your hazing, he will run away.
    If the coyote runs away a short distance and then stops and looks at you, continue hazing until he leaves the area entirely.
    After you have successfully hazed a coyote, he or she may return. Continue to haze the coyote as you did before; it usually takes only one or two times to haze a coyote away for good.

Back