Want opinion on Northpark listing

optimusprime_IHB

This one is obviously a bit in the wtf realm...but what do some here think a home like this will come down to?

I like it as an ideal starter home and the design, 3x3 1700 sq ft. For me I would be willing to buy around $500-525k (not thrilled w/it being next to Irvine Blvd). Am I dreaming?

I have no intention to start looking to buy until late 2010 (after July) at the earliest.

The last sale was in 2003 at $437,000...I am assuming that was what the builders were selling it for.

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Milagra-92602/home/5857324">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Milagra-92602/home/5857324</a>

[quote author="optimusprime" date=1244541238]This one is obviously a bit in the wtf realm...but what do some here think a home like this will come down to?

I like it as an ideal starter home and the design, 3x3 1700 sq ft. For me I would be willing to buy around $500-525k (not thrilled w/it being next to Irvine Blvd). Am I dreaming?

I have no intention to start looking to buy until late 2010 (after July) at the earliest.

The last sale was in 2003 at $437,000...I am assuming that was what the builders were selling it for.

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Milagra-92602/home/5857324">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Milagra-92602/home/5857324</a></blockquote>

I live in the exact same model in West Irvine/Ivywood (lease it). Your $500-525k number is the same number that I am hoping mine would fall to, and I would buy it for certain in that range. I'm not yet sold that it will fall that far, but I'm waiting it out for at least another year. I'd say that same price is fair for the one you posted as well. The neighborhood is probably worth a few more bucks in Northpark Square, but that one is missing some basic things that many of Plan A's seem to have --- specifically the island option in the kitchen and some grass in the backyard. But if you have not toured it yet, take a look. It IS a great starter home. The floorplan is great and lives bigger than 1,700 sq ft. The upstairs bedroom are all very nice sized. BTW, in addition to NP Square and West Irvine, CalPac also sold these same homes in Oak Creek in the Kelsey Lane tract.

[quote author="CK" date=1244541859][quote author="optimusprime" date=1244541238]This one is obviously a bit in the wtf realm...but what do some here think a home like this will come down to?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Milagra-92602/home/5857324">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Milagra-92602/home/5857324</a></blockquote>

I live in the exact same model in West Irvine/Ivywood (lease it). Your $500-525k number is the same number that I am hoping mine would fall to, and I would buy it for certain in that range. I'm not yet sold that it will fall that far, but I'm waiting it out for at least another year. I'd say that same price is fair for the one you posted as well. The neighborhood is probably worth a few more bucks in Northpark Square, but that one is missing some basic things that many of Plan A's seem to have --- specifically the island option in the kitchen and some grass in the backyard. But if you have not toured it yet, take a look. It IS a great starter home. The floorplan is great and lives bigger than 1,700 sq ft. The upstairs bedroom are all very nice sized. BTW, in addition to NP Square and West Irvine, CalPac also sold these same homes in Oak Creek in the Kelsey Lane tract.</blockquote>

CK, thanks for the reply and great info. Thanks for educating on the Oak Creek part...I do see some similarity with the design. I also like the Oak Creek area but there's an obvious premium in that section.

I agree about it not falling that far...I'd probably be willing to pay about $550k max..that's roughly $325 per/sq ft.

I guess it's my Riverside mentality, but I don't see 1,700 sq ft as a starter house. 1,200 sq ft (or less) is a starter house, IMHO. But out here, there are tens of thousands of houses in the 800-1,200 sq ft range on lots much bigger than this one. (There are plenty of larger ones as well, but there are dozens of tracts, mostly built in the 1950's, of houses in the 800-1,200 sq ft range, plus lots of one offs, mostly built earlier than that.)

The large number of houses under 1,200 sq ft out here is why condos are such duds in Riverside. Lots of apartments, though.

I actually kind of like this house, other than the typical Irvine postage stamp lot. Looks like it's overpriced by at least $150k, though.

I live 3 houses from Jamboree, and always sleep with my windows open. Yeah, you can hear it (especially at night and especially motorcycles), but you become immune to it. I can't recall ever being awaken by street noise.

BTW, looks like this house is now in escrow --- even at nearly $400 sq ft. Yikes.

My husband has a theory that it is noisier living near a busy intersection than it is next to a busy street... the reason being that cars make more noise when they are starting & stopping. He is ok with living off of Jamboree but not ok with living near a Jamboree intersection.

[quote author="Goofy" date=1244682112][quote author="SoCal78" date=1244679617]My husband has a theory that it is noisier living near a busy intersection than it is next to a busy street... the reason being that cars make more noise when they are starting & stopping. He is ok with living off of Jamboree but not ok with living near a Jamboree intersection.</blockquote>

I have the same theory. I've lived near intersections of somewhat major roads, and near the freeway (the 57). Living off the 57 was much quieter than being near a traffic light. Go figure.</blockquote>

For the freeway, it's more of a white noise, constant sort of thing, while the traffic light has cars reving up and car radios and stuff.

Pollution is a serious problem by the freeway, though, which is a major factor if you have kids.

Motorcycles are the worst offenders for street intersections.

The biggest noise you'll get from freeways is the rumbling of the 18 wheelers.

Street noise is worse to me because it's inconsistent and usually a house would be much closer to a main street or intersection than to a freeway (unless it's in LA).

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244699866]Motorcycles are the worst offenders for street intersections.

The biggest noise you'll get from freeways is the rumbling of the 18 wheelers.

Street noise is worse to me because it's inconsistent and usually a house would be much closer to a main street or intersection than to a freeway (unless it's in LA).</blockquote>

Modified rice rockets and harleys are the biggest offenders IMHO (most modifications are not street legal). I am surprised that Irvine cops do not go around giving tickets to these people, as they do not have anything better to do anyway :).

[quote author="RSweetman" date=1245911477]Hello Everyone-

instead of starting a new thread on another Northpark listing... what do you think of this one? In my opinion it seems kind of high given the postage stamp lot and rear garage style but wanted to get everyone's opinion on this one.

Does this look like it should really be in the $575k to $595k in todays market?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/14-Julian-92602/unit-4/home/5918571</blockquote>

I agree. This should be around 580k. It's not even a SFR. It's one of those detached condos where the garage is in the back and the driveway is shared.

[quote author="RSweetman" date=1245911477]Hello Everyone-

instead of starting a new thread on another Northpark listing... what do you think of this one? In my opinion it seems kind of high given the postage stamp lot and rear garage style but wanted to get everyone's opinion on this one.

Does this look like it should really be in the $575k to $595k in todays market?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/14-Julian-92602/unit-4/home/5918571</blockquote>

We toured this one on an open house probably two years ago...Don't recall the exact price at the time, but know it started with 7. Nice place, and this is really a cute neighborhood. Love the curb appeal here --- BK might even approve, too. We really liked the house, except the kitchen was pretty small --- but the formal living/family room combo was great. I think they then took off the market and leased it, and must be trying their luck again....

$600k sounds about right today.

Does it bug anybody else when there is a unit number in an address? I feel like if you're going to pay so much money for a house, it would be nice to have an address that does not conjure up an apartment unit in your mind. I guess it's just psychological. (I think whoever makes this stuff up has caught on. My apartment does not have a unit number.)

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1245925935]Does it bug anybody else when there is a unit number in an address? I feel like if you're going to pay so much money for a house, it would be nice to have an address that does not conjure up an apartment unit in your mind. I guess it's just psychological. (I think whoever makes this stuff up has caught on. My apartment does not have a unit number.)</blockquote>

Yes, I feel the exact same way! If I was looking for a house, I'd eliminate everything with a unit number, just for psychological reasons.

Back