Walnut train noise

Kokomama

Hi! I’m thinking of buying a property in the Walnut neighborhood, something like this (https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...ssage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare1693159654632.png)

Everything looks good to me but I’m concerned about train noise. From my research it’s probably not too bad in the walnut neighborhood in general, but this house is just one row away from the train track. Will I be able to keep my windows open? Or will I have to stop conversation every time a train passes by? What about when the windows are closed?

Thanks!

Good news is there is no freight trains. Only Amtrak operates this track. With only one row of house in front, you will hear the noise as well as vibrations. It gets pretty loud at night even with all windows shut. My relative lives in a condo on the opposite side of the track little further away than this house and I can hear the train approaching inside her place. Conversation doesnt have to be stopped but it’s annoying especially when trying to sleep. To me, it’s a show stopper. If they decide to have freight train running in the future, it’s even worse.

You will definitely hear and feel the train so if you are a light sleeper I would suggest passing on the home.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, I lived in a condo in that area. The first week or so, the train noise was jolting, but then I got used to it and it never bothered me again. I really think it will vary per person. You might not ever get used to it.

I'd much rather be near the train track than the freeway. It might (?) be a nice time to get a deal in College Park with the fatal shooting that happened recently nearby.

If you look at train schedules for Amtrak/Metrolink, service is pretty infrequent. I don't even know if Amtrak even runs trains when people are sleeping.

edit: I just looked and there are trains at 11p and 6a, so I was wrong https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/gl...812_pacific-surfliner-timetable_7-17-23_a.pdf

You will definitely notice it when you first live there, but it's possible you'll get desensitized to it over time. I lived on RIverstone a long time back on the side closer to the tracks and it didn't bother me. But I also didn't really open our windows that often. Also depends if you're just talking about yourself or if you are a family with young kids or will expect newborn in near future. If that's the case, I would definitely skip.

Back