Walmart Grand Opening

This is for the Spectrum one right?

The one near The District won't open until next year I think.

Now we just need a Big Lots and a Tommy's.

From the police blog.....

FEB. 25

12:35 p.m. Brandishing a weapon, 100 Technology. A male driving a '90s model Honda Accord reportedly pointed a pistol at two Walmart employees.

ps9 said:
From the police blog.....

FEB. 25

12:35 p.m. Brandishing a weapon, 100 Technology. A male driving a '90s model Honda Accord reportedly pointed a pistol at two Walmart employees.

So it begins!

There's a Tommy's off of El Toro road BTW.

We've had two Wal-Mart grocery stores (Foothill Ranch - big, RSM - small) and both seem to carry high quality stuff at low prices. Perhaps it's just to ensure the crowds keep coming in the short run, to build a habit before they start bringing in the weaker items. The RSM store is going to be like the Irvine store - all grocery and no general Wal-Mart store. I prefer the Foothill Ranch one for convenience sake, but still go to Vons in our area more often.

Went to the Walmart on Barranca and lived to tell  ;)

I had pretty low expectations going in but the store was surprisingly clean and shelves were stocked and organized (not my experience at the Foothill location). I liked the grocery section and appreciated the low prices versus Albertson/Pavillions/Ralphs.

It wasn't very crowded (my friends tell me to avoid the weekends) and I had plenty of space to browse the merchandise. Demographics were different than Irvine Target stores--definitely more White and Latino folks and less Asian faces.

Stored seemed a little dark (more along the lines of Kohls store lighting) and there were no lines at checkout. I loved the rotating checkout plastic bag dispenser.

Overall a good experience and I would go back again on a weekday.

The Walmart in Irvine sells ammunition, but I did not see any firearms for sale.  The only ammunition left for sale are probably shotgun shells, if they stocked others they were probably sold out few weeks ago.  There's a sign that limits your purchase to 3 boxes of ammo per customer.  Those hording 5.56 and 7.62 ammo should consider that sooner or later our government will probably ban "assault looking" firearms and associate calibers.  Like .50 cal you won't even be able to buy ammo.  I'd rank 5.56, 7.62, and pistols higher on the list of firearms to be banned or heavily restricted in the future, versus .22 rifles, standard shotguns, and black powder/muzzle-loaders will be last on the list.

For those looking to stock up, don't forget that CA restricts residents to no more than 20 lbs of smokeless powder or 1 lb of black powder in possession.  There was a gentlemen with no criminal record arrested for possession of more than 1 lb of black powder and some tracer rounds he bought in AZ.  He faced up to 6 years in prison for felony possession charge and committed suicide as the result.

On the other side of the sporting section, you'd find toy guns that look like M-16's and plastic toy grenades for sale at Walmart.  There's something really screwy here.

Also, the price of fishing rod combos at Walmart have gone up considerably over the past decade.

I need to go to the Irvine Walmart to see if I find myself saying, "Where do these people come from" at least three times like I do in all other  Walmarts.

Soylent Green Is People said:
There's a Tommy's off of El Toro road BTW.

We've had two Wal-Mart grocery stores (Foothill Ranch - big, RSM - small) and both seem to carry high quality stuff at low prices. Perhaps it's just to ensure the crowds keep coming in the short run, to build a habit before they start bringing in the weaker items. The RSM store is going to be like the Irvine store - all grocery and no general Wal-Mart store. I prefer the Foothill Ranch one for convenience sake, but still go to Vons in our area more often.

Regarding the quality, I doubt it.  On our visits to the Phoenix area, the produce/meat quality in the Walmart supercenter has been consistently good for the last 3 years.

BTW, momopi, I remember reloading ammo and a 1 lb can of powder would last for a very long reloading session.  Essentially, a case of light loads or a 1/2 case of heavy magnum slug/buck loads.  A pound of smokeless powder is enough for about 250 AR-15 rounds.  So 20 lbs is enough to reload about 5000 rounds.

Back