Walking to school

If you could choose to live close to a school, what level would you prefer?

• Elementary (K-6)

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Middle School (7-8)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • High School (9-12)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (home school, no school, school of hard knocks)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
eyephone said:
Let?s cut to the chase. Forget time savings, emotions...

From an ROI perspective it?s better to live by a school. Am o right?

But life is not all about ROI, wouldn't you say?

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Let?s cut to the chase. Forget time savings, emotions...

From an ROI perspective it?s better to live by a school. Am o right?

But life is not all about ROI, wouldn't you say?

I haven?t done any research or analysis. But it should be better for resale to live by a school than by a train station or train tracks.

Years ago I toured some new homes built right next to train tracks in Placentia.  Triple pane windows and sound proofed walls.  Train zooms by and you hardly notice it.

IMO there isn't a lot of benefit with living next to rail unless if there's a station nearby.  The long awaited Placentia station is expected to open next year, along with new residential and retail properties next to it.  When the station finally opens, hopefully it will have shuttle bus to CSU Fullerton.

For decades South Placentia has been the ugly sibling to the newer developed North side.  Perhaps with the rail station development, the city will finally spend more money on infrastructure improvements on south side.  Might be a good place to look for investments in future.  Beware of high HOA properties.

P.S.  I used to own property in North Placentia and attended Kramer Jr. High.

The biggest concern for living next to the rail for me was the pollution, both by the air and by the noise.

However, I've done some testing by being pretty close to the rail when the train passed by and I hardly notice any noise. So unless they honk horns, it should be OK.

Now for the air pollution, I do hear some studies that there might be higher level of harmful emissions. Not sure how much higher though.

But yeah, if I were to choose one from by the rail or by schools, I'd choose by school.

Would never want to live near a high school. Those places are traffic havens from 6am until 10pm with practices, competitions, and performances. Plus all of the students can drive and will park anywhere they may creatively find.

Back