Visa black card

stepping_up_IHB

So I get this really fancy looking envelope from Barclays today, which turns out to be this pre-qualified invitation for the exclusive black card. The second sentence lets me know that the card is limited to only 1% of US residents. The 3rd sentence reads "made with carbon, the Visa Black Card is guaranteed to get you noticed." Ooh, I'm feeling really special for this brief milisecond until the BS radar in me recalls how totally average I am income wise, spending, credit score, etc... and I wonder why the heck I'm one of the limited 1% of US residents who can have this patent pending card. I realize that they are trying to compete with Amex black card, but the fact that they are even offering it to me makes me suddenly feel like they are trying to con me.

Any guesses on what the annual fee is? I figured $125 or $150, which wouldn't be worth it to me, but imagine the shock when I see $495! No, that is not a typo... they want an annual fee of almost 500 bucks AND there aren't even any details on these special rewards and concierge services that come along with it. I guess the pool of the people who actually benefit from a $495/yr card and are willing to pay for it has diminished so much that Barclay's is trolling in Costa Mexico.

I scoffed when I saw the offer for the card. Until I saw the carbon part. It totally tickles the geek within... <em>"My credit card's modulus completely pwns your credit card's modulus!"</em>. But no, not enough to pay an annual fee. :)

I think it means 1% of US population who is dumb enough to pay for the $495 annual fee. A very selective few indeed.

I put my Generic Plastic Visa card in the fireplace by accident, and it also become made with carbon too. Less than 1% of the credit card reader in the world can read the info on the strip after that. Kewl!

So what are the perks? 50% cash back for every purchase?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1258548605]So I get this really fancy looking envelope from Barclays today, which turns out to be this pre-qualified invitation for the exclusive black card. The second sentence lets me know that the card is limited to only 1% of US residents. The 3rd sentence reads "made with carbon, the Visa Black Card is guaranteed to get you noticed." Ooh, I'm feeling really special for this brief milisecond until the BS radar in me recalls how totally average I am income wise, spending, credit score, etc... and I wonder why the heck I'm one of the limited 1% of US residents who can have <strong>this patent pending card.</strong> I realize that they are trying to compete with Amex black card, but the fact that they are even offering it to me makes me suddenly feel like they are trying to con me.

Any guesses on what the annual fee is? I figured $125 or $150, which wouldn't be worth it to me, but imagine the shock when I see $495! No, that is not a typo... they want an annual fee of almost 500 bucks AND there aren't even any details on these special rewards and concierge services that come along with it. I guess the pool of the people who actually benefit from a $495/yr card and are willing to pay for it has diminished so much that Barclay's is trolling in Costa Mexico.</blockquote>

Because I'm bored, I pulled up the patent application. EDIT: The link didn't work, so go to <a href="http://patft.uspto.gov/">this site</a>, navigate to the quick search function for patent applications, and type "carbon card" in the first field, and hit enter. Patent App. # 20090078776.

This embodiment description was my favorite part:

<em>[0014]The vast majority of today's transaction cards are constructed of plastic. The present carbon transaction card 10 is advantageously stronger and more durable than such plastic cards. It is also more rigid, lighter, and has a longer lifespan. In addition to these benefits, the carbon provides the card 10 with a unique feel and high tech look. The card 10 is thus more desirable for its distinctiveness over a typical plastic card. </em>

I'll stick to my plastic, thanks.

Back