Very Important Lender Suggestion (Save Yourself Tens of Thousands Potentially)

lucky760

I am in the latter stages of a purchase of a new build. Until recently I'd only been dealing with the lender that the builder requires you pre-qualify with.

Once I finally got within striking distance of a rate lock-in, I decided it was time to explore other lenders. The only person I've had recommended to me is member Soylent Green Is People here on Talk Irvine, so I gave him a call.

Before I say anything else, I must stop and tell you if you're in the middle of getting a loan, drop everything and call him NOW. His name is John and can be reached at 949-683-6724. I honestly made the call thinking there's probably little different he'd be able to offer. I could not have been more wrong. Not only is John an extremely patient, informative, and helpful fellow, but he made me feel extremely comfortable and wise about my options and how I might possibly proceed, even if that meant proceeding with the other lender.

My deal at the builder's lender was to lock in 3.25% (30 years fixed) with a $5,000 lender credit to be applied to closing costs. John, using his incredible bank, was able to offer me the same interest rate, but also offer about $21,000 in lender credit. Even more incredibly, a large chunk of that was to be applied to the Mortgage Insurance which was otherwise going to be financed into the loan (and it is a big amount). The net difference John was offering was to lower my loan amount (thus lowering my mortgage payments by nearly ~$150/month) and lower my cash due at close by a few thousand.

Long story short: Don't bother talking to any other lender [I don't mean that literally], and don't ever think for a second it's not worth seeing what he might be able to do for you. You really could save yourself a great deal of money and heartache. More importantly, he has such an incredible, professional, friendly presence, so you never have to worry about feeling like you're asking a stupid question or making a bad decision.

Three cheers for Soylent Green Is People!

lucky said:
I am in the latter stages of a purchase of a new build. Until recently I'd only been dealing with the lender that the builder requires you pre-qualify with.

Once I finally got within striking distance of a rate lock-in, I decided it was time to explore other lenders. The only person I've had recommended to me is member Soylent Green Is People here on Talk Irvine, so I gave him a call.

Before I say anything else, I must stop and tell you if you're in the middle of getting a loan, drop everything and call him NOW. His name is John Wheaton for Intercap Lending and can be reached at 949-683-6724. I honestly made the call thinking there's probably little different he'd be able to offer. I could not have been more wrong. Not only is John an extremely patient, informative, and helpful fellow, but he made me feel extremely comfortable and wise about my options and how I might possibly proceed, even if that meant proceeding with the other lender.

My deal at the builder's lender was to lock in 3.25% (30 years fixed) with a $5,000 lender credit to be applied to closing costs. John, using his incredible bank, was able to offer me the same interest rate, but also offer about $21,000 in lender credit. Even more incredibly, a large chunk of that was to be applied to the Mortgage Insurance which was otherwise going to be financed into the loan (and it is a big amount). The net difference John was offering was to lower my loan amount (thus lowering my mortgage payments by nearly ~$150/month) and lower my cash due at close by a few thousand.

Long story short: Don't bother talking to any other lender [I don't mean that literally], and don't ever think for a second it's not worth seeing what he might be able to do for you. You really could save yourself a great deal of money and heartache. More importantly, he has such an incredible, professional, friendly presence, so you never have to worry about feeling like you're asking a stupid question or making a bad decision.

Three cheers for Soylent Green Is People!

Interesting.  They set a date out like a month ago stating that you must show pre-qual from another lender.  How did you get around that?

Wow, quite a huge difference.  I would NEVER trust any of the in-house lenders for getting you the best rate.

I'm curious if you also shopped online for a lender?  What's the comparison between John and some of the online lenders?

woodburyowner said:
'm curious if you also shopped online for a lender?  What's the comparison between John and some of the online lenders?
From what I hear from various members here, for refis, online lenders are good... but for purchase it's better to have someone closer to you.

@Irvinecommuter - I haven't heard anything about pre-qual deadlines. The whole process for me took about a day and a half. Within 10 minutes on the phone, John gave me his estimate then provided it to me in writing. That night I told the old lender about the offer and provided it to him. The following day he took it to senior management who responded later that day and agreed to match the terms. That was the whole process for me. I did feel bad not being able to take the loan to John, but he said all along they'd probably match it and if they did I should stay with them. What a stand up guy.

@woodburyowner - John was the first and only other lender I spoke with. After talking with him I had no need to talk to anyone else, nor did I want to. If I was going to deal with anyone but the builder's lender it would be with him not just because of the deal, but because of how great he is to talk to.

lucky said:
I did feel bad not being able to take the loan to John, but he said all along they'd probably match it and if they did I should stay with them. What a stand up guy.

I thought the original post meant you went with SGIP, no?

SoCal said:
lucky said:
I did feel bad not being able to take the loan to John, but he said all along they'd probably match it and if they did I should stay with them. What a stand up guy.

Oh, no, I guess I didn't explain the end result, which is that the old lender matched his offer, so I ended up staying with them. Their response is exactly what he predicted and my not switching to him is what he recommended.

lucky said:
SoCal said:
lucky said:

Oh, no, I guess I didn't explain the end result, which is that the old lender matched his offer, so I ended up staying with them. Their response is exactly what he predicted and my not switching to him is what he recommended.

Okay, got it now. I'm glad it worked out for you.

If the rate was just matched (vs. beating it), why not just go with John who you said was a better guy to work with.  I did something similar in the past (showed a better quote to in house lender and he matched and gave me an additional $300 credit).  The problem I had was the in house lender was an idiot and made a ton of mistakes during the loan process.  When I complained about it, he got pissed and told me he was making no money off me after matching the rate/fees + $300 credit.  I probably should have just went with the lender who gave me the fair quote to begin with.

Agree with woodburyowner, they should at least beat the offer and not just match it, otherwise John should deserve the business.  Big bank does not equal competent people.

Sometimes, when you have all your documents in one place, it is a pain in the ass to move it to someone new.  That being said, successful people know that working hard and having high ethics only gives you a chance at making money.  In the end it will come.

FYI: I am getting a refi at the moment from a relative, and I know she is not the cheapest.  One of these days I'm going to move all my mortgages to SGIP.  Yes, I am starting to get tired of feeding her.

woodburyowner said:
If the rate was just matched (vs. beating it), why not just go with John who you said was a better guy to work with.  I did something similar in the past (showed a better quote to in house lender and he matched and gave me an additional $300 credit).  The problem I had was the in house lender was an idiot and made a ton of mistakes during the loan process.  When I complained about it, he got pissed and told me he was making no money off me after matching the rate/fees + $300 credit.  I probably should have just went with the lender who gave me the fair quote to begin with.
There's the thing that annoyed my new home buyer clients.  They would get a quote from the in-house lender (which was usually higher than most other lenders).  When they decided to go with another lender who gave them a better quote, the in-house lender was magically able to obtain a "special exception from their manager" to slightly beat the quote that the clients got from the other lender.  Why not just put your best foot forward if you are the in-house lender?  Do they not think that people will shop around for the best rate/service?  I recommended to my clients that for the principal of it to go with the outside lender that they contacted. 

irvinehomeowner said:
woodburyowner said:
'm curious if you also shopped online for a lender?  What's the comparison between John and some of the online lenders?
From what I hear from various members here, for refis, online lenders are good... but for purchase it's better to have someone closer to you.
Yup, you want a known commodity like SGIP when you are buying.  For the most part, online lenders like Amerisave (and others) provide such low rates that they are tough to beat so that's why some many people go with them (even if we know we'll get iffy service).

Wow.  Thanks for the kindness of this post. I had not seen this until SoCal pointed it out.

If the reader finds themselves in the same situation as Lucky was, here's how the script should go:

You: " It's 45 days before we close. I've heard rates are lower. What is your best and final offer that you can also lock today".

Once you get that in writing - not verbally -  from your provider, call around and ask the same question. "What's your best and final offer that you can also lock today?".  Since you probably will get something markedly better, you can also expect the builders lender to come back with (my phrasing).." Oh, we were just kidding about our last best and final offer, we can now do THIS..." which to me indicates that lender still isn't giving the best deal they can. The goal posts are being moved everytime you call them which is no way to do business. At that point it's time to commit, preferrably to the one from the get go had the real "best and final" offer from the get go.

It's unfortunate that reasonably market competitive financing is still originated via of the art of deception. Getting a loan can be an icky process, but should it be? Let's hope with the Feds new regulations the consumer will finally get a fair and open opportunity to land a good deal, but until that time comes try what I've suggested and see what happens.  Who knows, you might be Lucky as well.

zubs said:
Sometimes, when you have all your documents in one place, it is a pain in the ass to move it to someone new.  That being said, successful people know that working hard and having high ethics only gives you a chance at making money.  In the end it will come.

FYI: I am getting a refi at the moment from a relative, and I know she is not the cheapest.  One of these days I'm going to move all my mortgages to SGIP.  Yes, I am starting to get tired of feeding her.

Emailing pdf files of your financials shouldn't take up that much time.. At most maybe a hour of work.. once you become a serial refi'er.. it becomes second nature.. like doing your taxes every 3 months :)

USCTrojanCPA said:
There's the thing that annoyed my new home buyer clients.  They would get a quote from the in-house lender (which was usually higher than most other lenders).  When they decided to go with another lender who gave them a better quote, the in-house lender was magically able to obtain a "special exception from their manager" to slightly beat the quote that the clients got from the other lender.  Why not just put your best foot forward if you are the in-house lender?  Do they not think that people will shop around for the best rate/service?  I recommended to my clients that for the principal of it to go with the outside lender that they contacted. 
Can't really blame them... it's the same reason why sellers don't list at their bottom price... they want to get all they can.

Back