Value of your own driveway in Irvine

Depends on a lot of the price of the home. No driveway will hurt any $1million+ home a lot more than a smaller home. $514/sqft is a lot for the Woodbury home.  If you applied the same $400/sqft to it it'd only be $700k and you are paying $200k for a driveway.

Another thread today showed a builder was charging $30k more for a driveway.

A driveway is easily worth $40k-$50k.  Builders that had detached condos that had a few driveway lots sold them for a $30k-$50k premium FAST (to the people on the top of the waitlists). 

Driveway versus motor court is very different, IMHO than driveway versus no/not useable driveway.

Even the not useable/no driveway I think is superior to the motor court.

paperboyNC said:
Depends on a lot of the price of the home. No driveway will hurt any $1million+ home a lot more than a smaller home. $514/sqft is a lot for the Woodbury home.  If you applied the same $400/sqft to it it'd only be $700k and you are paying $200k for a driveway.

Another thread today showed a builder was charging $30k more for a driveway.

I agree with this, I think it impacts the $1M+ home more than a $700K home.  Look at Terrazza in OH, I honestly think that product would be selling better if it's a zero lot line with a driveway versus shared driveway.

I have an idea!  How 'bout everyone just cleans out their sh*t and they can park a car in their garage?  Lezzbehonest, the driveway is for parking cars because you have too much sh*t in your garage.  Stop being a hoarder, clean out your sh*t, throw things away & give to the Goodwill, park your car in the garage, maybe put one on the street so you have room for bikes... you know, this isn't rocket science.

I don't have a driveway.  1975 home in NW, little tiny driveway that isn't even car length.  One car (the BMW) in the garage.  Minivan right in front on the street.  We clean out our stuff all the time.  I walk by homes with garages crammed FULL of boxes and crap and I just think, "C'mon. Get it together."  remember growing up and BOTH cars went in the garage?  People had less crap then.

Beaglgirl said:
I have an idea!  How 'bout everyone just cleans out their sh*t and they can park a car in their garage?  Lezzbehonest, the driveway is for parking cars because you have too much sh*t in your garage.  Stop being a hoarder, clean out your sh*t, throw things away & give to the Goodwill, park your car in the garage, maybe put one on the street so you have room for bikes... you know, this isn't rocket science.

I don't have a driveway.  1975 home in NW, little tiny driveway that isn't even car length.  One car (the BMW) in the garage.  Minivan right in front on the street.  We clean out our stuff all the time.  I walk by homes with garages crammed FULL of boxes and crap and I just think, "C'mon. Get it together."  remember growing up and BOTH cars went in the garage?  People had less crap then.

Why is only one car parked in the garage?

Must be half a garage full of stuff she/he hoards. Give her/him credit............ they are only half a hoarder.

Course lots of stuff she/he doesn't need could be in that minivan.

Lol, that's a setup for someone saying,... I can't believe this person, has room for 2 cars in the garage but always park the larger/minivan on the street, what gives, cars belong in the garage and stop clogging street parking...

Ready2Downsize said:
Must be half a garage full of stuff she/he hoards. Give her/him credit............ they are only half a hoarder.

Why complain about others, when they only park one car in the garage?

eyephone said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Why complain about others, when they only park one car in the garage?

Exactly. She/he has a two car garage and only parks one car in it. After all.........  She/He just thinks, "C'mon. Get it together."  remember growing up and BOTH cars went in the garage?  People had less crap then.

When I was growing up we had a two car garage with a driveway that probably could fit five cars on it (long driveway up to ranch style house and then curved into the two car garage). My parents NEVER parked in the garage and we only had one car.

My mom started parking in the garage when we gave her a garage door opener. Before that time anyone who parked in a garage had to get out of their car, manually open the garage, get back in the car, pull in and then manually close the garage door. And it was such a waste of time leaving with all those steps in reverse.

And the garage stored the washer, dryer, lawn mower (no there were no gardeners in the neighborhood unless you hired a neighbor but why do that when there were kids who were free labor?), extra canned goods (no pantrys and limited kitchen cabinets), ironing board, water heater, extra freezer, bikes, etc.

So strange............. I don't remember ANYONE parking IN their garage when I was growing up. Not a one and we all had 2 car garages.

I think my parents had more "stuff" than I ever have had in my garage.

If you don't like your neighbor parking their cars places other than in their garage, notify your HOA. The CC&Rs likely prohibit the garage from being unable to park two cars. When parking is limited and driveways are tiny or non-existent, CC&Rs will require your car(s) be parked in your garage.

Since so many people don't use their garage to park cars, that driveway become a must have for many. 

Then why bother to build a garage anyway.  Just build a home with driveway  and  a dedicated storage room.  Maybe something like this.

images

If you are struggling with crap, just read Marie Kondo. Guarantee you 90% of the junk you store in your garage can be tossed/sold/donated.

I don't understand not parking in your garage.

Your car is less exposed to the elements, to possible thieves and to rodents (I had a friend whose car wiring was eaten up by rats because he parked outside).

Additionally, you don't get that condensation on your windows in the morning, the car is cooler, warmer, drier than whatever weather it is and it's more convenient when loading/unloading passengers, groceries etc.

If you have to store so much stuff in your measly 2 car garage (#3CWGElitist), read the Above Garage Storage thread.

I can't imagine a home without a garage, and agarage without a driveway is boo-urns. Since I've owned homes, I've had both... but then again I've also had mutliple downstairs living spaces and vaulted ceilings so I'm a dinosaur.

#OccupyDriveway

we have a three car garage and could park three cars if we wanted to. for storage we have a wall of cabinets right in front of where the front of the two cars would be. then on the left wall we have two of these that we got at costco for about 180. that gives us plenty of storage and room for all three cars.

GO-111011-PRD-0.jpg

Ceiling racks help, and if you want configurable wall shelves, Home Depot have those as well.

I always park both cars in the garage for the same reasons ^.
People who don't always say it saves them time.  Like 30 secs. 

irvinehomeowner said:

Your car is less exposed to the elements, to possible thieves and to rodents (I had a friend whose car wiring was eaten up by rats because he parked outside).

Additionally, you don't get that condensation on your windows in the morning, the car is cooler, warmer, drier than whatever weather it is and it's more convenient when loading/unloading passengers, groceries etc.

If you have to store so much stuff in your measly 2 car garage (#3CWGElitist), read the Above Garage Storage thread.

I can't imagine a home without a garage, and agarage without a driveway is boo-urns. Since I've owned homes, I've had both... but then again I've also had mutliple downstairs living spaces and vaulted ceilings so I'm a dinosaur.

#OccupyDriveway

This sounds verbatim like my other half. First order of business after we move is to free up enough garage space ASAP to park both cars in the garage.  Or maybe.... are you.....

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#OccupyDriveway

This sounds verbatim like my other half. First order of business after we move is to free up enough garage space ASAP to park both cars in the garage.  Or maybe.... are you.....
Ruh roh.

#caught

Back