Vaccination Question

tmare_IHB

I'm going to speak to my pediatrician tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone had anything to add here. My son is turning five in less than 2 weeks. I heard a horror story from one co-worker about how awful the 5 year old vaccines are. Then 2 weeks later, another coworker's son had a horrible reaction to his 5 year vaccines and actually became temporarily paralyzed in his neck and had to be rushed to the ER and have a precautionary test for meningitis. His parents were told that it was a reaction to the vaccines, symptoms disappeared 3 days later. I scheduled my son for these vaccines for 2 days before his big birthday party, now I'm guessing I better change them to after the party. Did anyone else have problems with the 5 year vaccines?

No, not at all. My son receives vaccinations and did not experience anything like that after his 5-year checkup. I know that doctors may use different schedules, but from my experience, the vaccinations they receive at the 5 year checkup are ones they have already received previously. For example (I'm looking at his vaccination record) at the 5 year, he got: Polio (his 4th dose), DTaP (5th dose), MMR (2nd dose), Varicella a.k.a. Chickenpox (2nd dose), and a TB skin test. So as you can see - there was nothing new introduced at the 5 year checkup. If you haven't had problems before then I wouldn't think you would all of a sudden. I have always made the vaccinations for after the birthday party, though, just because sometimes they get a very low-grade fever (not always) or have soreness at the injection site so I just try to make it for when they are feeling their best. I think you will be fine, though. Hope this helps!

I guess I'll just change the appointment to the following week. My son has never so much as cried while having a vaccination and never even had a fever after. I guess these people are freaking me out. It was pretty scary last week with my co-workers kid having all of those problems though. Thanks.

Agreed. My son didn't have any problems either except mild skin rash on his arms.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1240203139]No, not at all. My son receives vaccinations and did not experience anything like that after his 5-year checkup. I know that doctors may use different schedules, but from my experience, the vaccinations they receive at the 5 year checkup are ones they have already received previously. For example (I'm looking at his vaccination record) at the 5 year, he got: Polio (his 4th dose), DTaP (5th dose), MMR (2nd dose), Varicella a.k.a. Chickenpox (2nd dose), and a TB skin test. So as you can see - there was nothing new introduced at the 5 year checkup. If you haven't had problems before then I wouldn't think you would all of a sudden. I have always made the vaccinations for after the birthday party, though, just because sometimes they get a very low-grade fever (not always) or have soreness at the injection site so I just try to make it for when they are feeling their best. I think you will be fine, though. Hope this helps!</blockquote>

My son gets his 5-year shots in June and he only has two left - 5th dose DTap and 2nd for Varicella.

Some people I know with kids heading to K next year have had a bunch of shots at the 5-year annual and their kids run a fever, feel sick, arm stiffness/swelling, etc. I think that is/was just because there were so many at once.

Wait, I'm the only dude on this thread... Forget what I said, I know nothing about shots :)

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1240278667]

Wait, I'm the only dude on this thread... Forget what I said, I know nothing about shots :)</blockquote>

lol --- I read this thread and was thinking "yeah, my daughter had no real problems with her shots last fall" --- but I was not about to post anything here!

Vaccinations go better, when kids know every time they get vaccinated, they'll be a stop at Baskin Robbins after the doctor's office ....

Also, take the Gameboy along - have them play it in the little room while they wait so they having something else to think about other than getting the shot

[quote author="CK" date=1240280677][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1240278667]

Wait, I'm the only dude on this thread... Forget what I said, I know nothing about shots :)</blockquote>

lol --- I read this thread and was thinking "yeah, my daughter had no real problems with her shots last fall" --- but I was not about to post anything here!</blockquote>

You guys should not feel hesitant to participate in the parenting threads. You are involved dads - a sign of a good man. You should be proud. I'm sure your families are.

My daughter had three years ago, and I don't remember any problems at all. But she never had any fever after vaccinations. Actually I don't know anyone who had anything more than a fever after vaccination, except one who has Autism, and her mother thinks it's because of the vaccines.

I second that Baskin Robbins suggestion:)

I changed the appointment today, thanks for all of the help everyone! Update on this thread (forgot it was here until now). My little guy did great, although I should have told the nurse that he throws left handed because we went right to Tee-Ball practice after the shots. His arm was a bit sore before bed but other than that, no side effects.

Back