Using an Electric clothes dryer in a laundry room setup for Gas?

brergnat

Can it be done? We are renting a new home in CV that has a laundry space with a gas dryer hookup. Our dryer is electric and it is not even 4 years old yet, so we want to keep using it. Can the appropriate electrical outlet be installed? If so, anyone have any idea how much that would cost? I think the owner would be okay with us having an electrician do that, but if the cost will be prohibitive, we may as well sell our dryer and buy a gas dryer when we move in. Anyone know?

Dryers are so cheap these days, it will be cheaper to just buy a new one than hiring an electrician.  Plus, gas dryers are more energy efficient anyways.  You can also get a nice rebate from the gas company once you purchase one.

Savvy renters or home buyers will ask this question regarding the dryer hookup connection.
I understand people live paycheck to paycheck, so this might be a big expense for you. Good luck

I figured that buying a new dryer would be the easier option. Thing is, I have to stack the W/D and I have a matched set that could be stacked right now. I am not sure if I buy just a dryer, that the new models are the same size and able to be stacked on our exisiting washer.

In any event, I have someone already who wants to buy my W/D so I will probably just sell the set before we move across the country and buy a new set once we get there.

Just sell your existing set and buy new when you get here.  Since you are out of state, you will be surprised to see the hefty rebates you get from the water/gas/electric company here in California.  Lowe's/HD have sales around all the holidays (just missed Memorial Day sale).

Your old W/D are past their prime anyway.  These days, they aren't made to last like the old Maytags.  Lifespan is around 7 years.

It will probably not be cheap, as it is likely much more than just wiring in a new plug.  The wire itself likely has to be upgraded, along with the breaker.  The 12 gauge wire on the 20A 120V circuit will not support 5000W on 220V.  And all this assumes the subpanel has 220V to begin with, which may not be the case.

Check the breaker at the panel to confirm.  It is not completely impossible to have the wiring in place when roughed in for eventual upgrades/changes.

Back