Upset Buyer - Avoid First American Home Buyers Protection Home Warranty

bluemove

Anyone have any ideas?  Wishing now that a valued buyer would have just taken a $1250 credit instead of buying a "top of the line" home warranty from First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation.  Oven stopped working - a Thermador Professional that probably is expensive to fix.  Guess what, nothing but BS reasons from American as to why it isn't covered - including "physical force" - like somehow someone crushed the shielded inner workings of the oven.  Please!  And of course there is NO documentation from the service person about anything involving "physical force."  Has anyone sued them in small claims court?  On one other repair, they sent a company that was absolutely bottom of the barrell with the worst online reviews and made an absolutely bottom level repair just to hold it together during the warranty period.  Awful. Stay away. Stay far away.

I used this company last year, but after the year was up, I didn't renew my policy.  They have a really bad rating, and from personal experience, they are shit.

I think you must pay $60 per visit no matter what.  I had 3 visits.  2 of them they fixed the problem.  The 3rd one the guy came out and left in 5 minutes, and I was still charged $60.

In my previous home, the seller purchased 1 year of First American home warranty for me.  During the first year, they replaced my garbage disposal, water heater, air conditioner, and stove with built in microwave hood.  I generally didn't have too much issue with them, they came in, took my $50.00/visit and replaced whatever they couldn't fix.  They called me to renew, and I told them they basically replaced everything for me already, and I have no need to renew.  This was 10 years ago though...so their quality might have gone south.

bluemove said:
Anyone have any ideas?  Wishing now that a valued buyer would have just taken a $1250 credit instead of buying a "top of the line" home warranty from First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation.  Oven stopped working - a Thermador Professional that probably is expensive to fix.  Guess what, nothing but BS reasons from American as to why it isn't covered - including "physical force" - like somehow someone crushed the shielded inner workings of the oven.  Please!  And of course there is NO documentation from the service person about anything involving "physical force."  Has anyone sued them in small claims court?  On one other repair, they sent a company that was absolutely bottom of the barrell with the worst online reviews and made an absolutely bottom level repair just to hold it together during the warranty period.  Awful. Stay away. Stay far away.

I used AHS (American Home Shield) and have not had any major issues with their service.  They have replaced several major things in my house and the only real complaint is the first visit is to diagnose the problem and the service guy has to submit a report to get approval for the repair and then they have to come out a second time to perform the repair.  I have had experiences of AHS sending some pretty decent repair people and some really crappy ones.  I believe their cadillac plan which is sold when you buy the house and covers pretty much everything is around $600 - $700.  They have other tiers of coverage as well.  The one I chose after the first year was a lower option which covered only the HVAC, plumbing, garage doors, water heater and some other items but did not cover appliances.  Since the previous owner remodeled and switched out all the appliances, I felt they were in good shape.  The cost of the lower plan was less than half.
Either way, I ended up cancelling service because they replaced the items I was concerned was at the end of it's life already and I hated the fact it was a guaranteed two days sitting at home to get anything repaired/replaced.

I think too many warranties / insurance is bad in general because they are in business to make a profit which means that you'd get more bang for your buck being self-insured.

I understand insurance for things that are expensive but putting cash in a savings account for home repairs gives you a lot more flexibility.

Wow, you are very lucky.

I wanted them to replace my old dish washer and oven but they said my oven's problem was pre-existing and wouldn't do anything with it and charged me $65 just to tell me that.  I got a plumbing problem fixed related to the dish washer but that was about it.  For other simple things (broken sprinkler head, etc.), I figured it was cheaper if I fixed it myself rather than pay the $65 diagnostic fee.  Needless to say, I did not renew.  I think the new diagnostic fee on the renewal was $75.

The quality of the repair persons were o.k. to terrible but it probably depends on who you get.

gaogi said:
In my previous home, the seller purchased 1 year of First American home warranty for me.  During the first year, they replaced my garbage disposal, water heater, air conditioner, and stove with built in microwave hood.  I generally didn't have too much issue with them, they came in, took my $50.00/visit and replaced whatever they couldn't fix.  They called me to renew, and I told them they basically replaced everything for me already, and I have no need to renew.  This was 10 years ago though...so their quality might have gone south.

Back