Upgrades for new homes

Irvine resident

In our meeting with the IP Design Center, they suggested having whole house insulation ($1,400) and solid core doors ($1,700) to reduce noise.  Is this something worth doing?

The additional whole house insulation is well worth it.  Highly recommended.  It includes #R-19 between floors, #R-11 interior walls, and #R-13 garage exterior walls.  It's difficult to do after the dry wall were up and potentially more expensive to do afterwards.

I didn't do the solid core doors but I would definite get it next time around.  One of my neighbor have it.  Not sure about noise reduction but it feels heavier, more substance and have a more expensive feel to it. 

+1 for whole house insulation.

Regarding solid core doors, I selected an option of solid core door for my master bathroom from my builder (IP) but my normal interior doors are standard hollow core doors.  So I have direct comparison for both type of doors.  To be honest, I hardly feel any noise reduction effect from solid core doors.  There is not much difference.

I don't know it's same for most of solid core doors but at least my one doesn't show much difference.  And also it doesn't have any expensive feel at all.  Design and colors are exactly same but if you tap on the door surface, solid core door has a little heavier, more tight sound. On the other hand, on hollow core doors, you can feel that inside is mostly empty.

If your main purpose of selecting option is noise reduction I don't recommend it since your builder is same as mine, which means there are high chances of getting same brand's solid core doors. 

A few month ago, I accidentally kicked my hollow core door by my foot and surprised with that result because I made a toe size hole on my door. If you search for "hollow core door repair" from YouTube you can see what I'm telling about.  Yes, it's weak.  Inner materials are basically processed cardboard papers.  So it's not solid and easy to break but also easy to patch. If it was a solid core door, I don't think it made a hole. :)

If I were you, I wouldn't invest extra money on solid core doors. I'd rather spend that money on furniture or something else.

While I did get the whole house insulation I don't feel it provides that much...maybe they changed the insulation they used, but an R13 doesn't do much for you.  I wish they at least give you the option to pick  higher quality insulation or even spray foam.  I'd payf for that.  My house still gets quite cold during the cold days.  Summer months I do say it helps a tad bit. 

But I can only imagine how much crappier it would be without it.  So I guess it's still worth the investment. 

You can definitely notice the difference between hollow core doors and solid.  when I'm in my daughters room trying to put her to sleep I can hear everything going on in the kitchen...i wish I did the solid core option for all doors.

+1 solid core doors.  kids have banged them, we have hit them with furniture accidently, and not a scratch.  they are solid.  and when the door is closed you cant hear jack.

+1 insulation.  you cant do that after the fact and its well worth it.

Aren't garage doors solid core? I know I can barely hear the garage door open or the car turn on from the great room that shares the wall with garage. Not sure if it's just the door or if that wall has extra stuff since I beleive its a firewall

Back