Upgrades at New house

jotsao said:
with regards to this topic... I've never had experience buying a new build.

instead of upgrading the flooring from builder, is it typical to ask builder not to install the flooring and have your own contractor install it before the cabinets goes in?

The builder has to deliver you a complete home with flooring in place. You can?t send in your own contractors until the home is built and paid for. Flooring company will need to rip up the standard carpet/tile/etc. and then install. Costs less than going with the builder still in most cases.

cgs37 said:
jotsao said:
with regards to this topic... I've never had experience buying a new build.

instead of upgrading the flooring from builder, is it typical to ask builder not to install the flooring and have your own contractor install it before the cabinets goes in?

The builder has to deliver you a complete home with flooring in place. You can?t send in your own contractors until the home is built and paid for. Flooring company will need to rip up the standard carpet/tile/etc. and then install. Costs less than going with the builder still in most cases.
The builder can sell you whatever you want to buy.  The issue is lenders will not close a loan without a certificate of occupancy. For the city/county to issue a certificate of occupancy, all flooring and millwork must be installed. Yes, you can buy a house without a certificate of occupancy, but you will have to pay cash and no one can live there until you get the certificate of occupancy from the city.

[/quote]
The builder can sell you whatever you want to buy.  The issue is lenders will not close a loan without a certificate of occupancy. For the city/county to issue a certificate of occupancy, all flooring and millwork must be installed. Yes, you can buy a house without a certificate of occupancy, but you will have to pay cash and no one can live there until you get the certificate of occupancy from the city.
[/quote]

I stand corrected.

My personal preference is not doing any upgrades with the builder, not only they are normally overpriced, you would have higher property taxes with the higher purchase price upfront. Wiring speakers is only a few hundred dollars, you probably don't care about your property taxes being a few dollars higher every year. But with larger projects, such as a 30k flooring, you are not only overpaying for the work a little, you are also going to pay at least 300 dollars more every year on property taxes. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine. 

My standard rules are to do everything that is 1) structural, 2) electrical, or 3) plumbing with the builder.  Builders will try to find a way to negate any claims of loss/damage and use of third-party contractors by the owner is defense no. 1.   

Things like cabinets, flooring, countertops, etc can be done a lot cheaper with a 3rd party.  The other things, the peace of mind of having a builder to blame for 4 to 10 years is reassuring.

Generally speaking buyers get builder upgrades so the cost can be rolled into the purchase and financed through mortgage loan.

Things that I wish I had ordered from builder, outdoor spigot on patio, additional AC outlets and lights in garage, ceiling fans.

I did order cable TV & Ethernet ports and, probably should have had them put in speaker wires for rear speakers too.

If you neglected to order network wiring/ports installed you could still use powerline network products -- your power outlet can be used for GB network connection.

It's preferable to reduce the number of wireless devices running in your home, and unplug/turn off all the electronics/network equipment when not in use.

Back