Upcoming Dinner A'Fare Trip

It was a fun night. Thanks, everyone, for coming out. It was great seeing you guys... NewToOc, kayochan, momo, trojan, and tmare (glad I finally got to put a face with the name.) It was fun. We'll have to do it again. I hope you like your meals. Special thanks to NTO for supplying wine.

I had a great time tonight and I can't wait to get cooking! My husband gets to choose from a menu for dinner tomorrow, kind of fun. It was nice meeting everyone and thanks SoCal for putting it together.

Made the chicken parm last week and it was tasty even though I didn't read the directions closely enough and baked uncovered vs. covered for several minutes. D'oh!

Making the Pasta Primavera tonight. Definitely looking forward to some of the more unique meals later this week or next as well.

Momo, Tmare, TrojanMan - have you made any of the meals? How did they turn out?

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1242200217]Made the chicken parm last week and it was tasty even though I didn't read the directions closely enough and baked uncovered vs. covered for several minutes. D'oh!

Making the Pasta Primavera tonight. Definitely looking forward to some of the more unique meals later this week or next as well.

Momo, Tmare, TrojanMan - have you made any of the meals? How did they turn out?</blockquote>
I only made the Grilled Flank Steak on the grill and served it with some white rice. Very tasty!

Grilled Flank Steak tonight also, on the Q. Was very good with couscous and a cucumber/tomato salad. We've tried several so far, the lemon and lager chicken was delicious and I'll probably do the chicken parm on Thursday. Unfortunately the mojito pork kabobs were a bit overdone on the bbq (she blames her husband %-P ), but I didn't really like the flavor combos anyway. Still have many more to go and we only used half of a few so we'll be ready for some repeats soon. I'll be ready to go back in a month or two.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242223227]Grilled Flank Steak tonight also, on the Q. Was very good with couscous and a cucumber/tomato salad. We've tried several so far, the lemon and lager chicken was delicious and I'll probably do the chicken parm on Thursday. Unfortunately the mojito pork kabobs were a bit overdone on the bbq (she blames her husband %-P ), but I didn't really like the flavor combos anyway. Still have many more to go and we only used half of a few so we'll be ready for some repeats soon. I'll be ready to go back in a month or two.</blockquote>

What is the recipe for the mojito pork kabobs? If you don't like the flavor combo, then I might be able to alter it to what you do like. Can you pinpoint what it is you don't like?

And your husband is fired for overcooking them! Maybe I should start an IHB grilling school. No joke... Bobby Flay ain't got nothing on me. My grilling instinct is second to none. I got it from my dad, and you can ask Cayci about the grilled boneless leg of lamb I grilled up. Yummy! Between the grill and foreclosures, I dunno which I know best, but I know them well.

Hey, SoCal can you help us out with the ingredients to mojito pork kabobs? I made so many dinners and that was the only one that SoCal prepped for me since we were a bit short on time. I am not sure what the spice was that I didn't like, I guess it's the mint part, I probably shouldn't have made that one. Either way it didn't go well with the BBQ sauce. Yes, I'd fire my husband from the grill, but then I'd have to do it.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242248783]Hey, SoCal can you help us out with the ingredients to mojito pork kabobs? </blockquote>

Sure thing. I'll omit the amounts, but the ingredients to the pork marinade were: sweet & sour drink mix, rum, brown sugar, crushed garlic, dried mint, kosher salt, and pepper. It had a condiment of cherry bbq sauce made from equal parts cherry pie filling and (tangy) bbq sauce.

Sorry to read that you did not enjoy it. To my own, I added half the amount of dried mint that it called for. (Made yours as the recipe stated, sorry.) I thought the pork itself was delicious. I didn't feel the same about the cherry bbq sauce, though. I think it would have been good with just the pie filling as a glaze or just the bbq sauce, but not both, in my opinion... none of us really touched it after trying it.

I would definitely agree that the bbq sauce left a lot to be desired (just didn't go with the mint flavor). There was also WAY too much of it. I can see why you added 1/2 the mint amount, it really overwhelmed the flavor (not your fault, I asked you to follow the recipe). Anyway, only one we didn't like so far, not bad.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242279561]I would definitely agree that the bbq sauce left a lot to be desired (just didn't go with the mint flavor). There was also WAY too much of it. I can see why you added 1/2 the mint amount, it really overwhelmed the flavor (not your fault, I asked you to follow the recipe). Anyway, only one we didn't like so far, not bad.</blockquote>
I have the shrimp defrosting in the fridge as we speak...I'm gonna get some chow mein from panda express to eat it with.

I'll go ahead and kick back on the bbq sauce/cherry pie filling for the pork.

Thanks for the updates everyone. I made the pasta primavera the other night and my husband said it was his favorite along with the pulled pork sandwiches from March event. Those little sausage pieces ended up being pretty tasty in the veggie and marinara sauce mixture. And the penne pasta was pretty good quality.

The cherry pie filling dish didn't seem that good while I was assembling that kit but I like to try new things so we'll see.

Cherry + mint = FAIL. The two do not belong together. I would eliminate the cherry first and go from there. Simplicity is usually best, and that is too many flavors, i.e. too much sweet, not enough savory. If you find that it is the mint you don't care for, then the whole recipe needs to be changed. I will see what I can think of.

I have a great marinade for pork tenderloin, that if you search here (at least I think so, it's been a long time since I recommended it to EvaL) or Ming Tsai's recipes, that is truly awesome.

Fire the husband, and send him to grill school. No need to take over grill duties. My cousins followed my dad, taking notes (on grilling a turkey to prime rib), and now they are great grillers. It is a matter of training, not necessarily demoting to bread duty. Should I start with something simple like the "fish bag"? It's uber easy, and cooks the veggies with it. Like I said, Bobby Flay ain't got nothing on me! Maybe I should be available for hire? Dear gawd... what am I getting myself into? Cayci... help! Oh crap... she will only sell me more. What's more important? Food or foreclosures?

[quote author="graphrix" date=1242408353]Cherry + mint = FAIL. The two do not belong together. I would eliminate the cherry first and go from there. Simplicity is usually best, and that is too many flavors, i.e. too much sweet, not enough savory. If you find that it is the mint you don't care for, then the whole recipe needs to be changed. I will see what I can think of.

I have a great marinade for pork tenderloin, that if you search here (at least I think so, it's been a long time since I recommended it to EvaL) or Ming Tsai's recipes, that is truly awesome.

Fire the husband, and send him to grill school. No need to take over grill duties. My cousins followed my dad, taking notes (on grilling a turkey to prime rib), and now they are great grillers. It is a matter of training, not necessarily demoting to bread duty. Should I start with something simple like the "fish bag"? It's uber easy, and cooks the veggies with it. Like I said, Bobby Flay ain't got nothing on me! Maybe I should be available for hire? Dear gawd... what am I getting myself into? Cayci... help! Oh crap... she will only sell me more. What's more important? Food or foreclosures?</blockquote>
You are the jack of all trades...from grilling to foreclosure speculation. haha But seriously, grilling is fun. I used to have to man the grill as a little kid because my dad wanted to watch the college/nfl games. I will say that marinades are the key to any good bbq.

We enjoyed the crispy orange beef (the name is a bit misleading). I served it over rice with steamed broccoli and added a drop of sesame oil to the marinade. My husband had a bit of Sriracha over the top to add more spice. It's really a beef bowl type of thing.

Where are all of the people with their comments about the food? We enjoyed the maple mustard pork chops tonight. Husband did not overcook them on the grill this time. Pretty simple but served with sauteed mushrooms, broccoli and rice. Both kids actually ate the pork chops which is a success in itself.

Back