University Town Center - oldest current retail tenant?

USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I need to go try some pizza over at Ray's Pizza...driven by many times but never eat there.

You haven?t missed anything.  Better off going to Sgt. Pepperoni?s one block over.

Waaaa?! Ray's is fantastic! Sgt. Pepperoni's isn't bad though..

Do both places have pizzas by the slice?

Yes.  New York style.

Compare and report back to us, lol.

WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I need to go try some pizza over at Ray's Pizza...driven by many times but never eat there.

You haven?t missed anything.  Better off going to Sgt. Pepperoni?s one block over.

Yes.  New York style.

Compare and report back to us, lol.

I accept that mission and will report back.

USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Terra Mia Pizzeria just opened up in Tustin (edinger/red hill) and has pizza by the slice. The Laguna hillls locations seemed highly rated on Yelp.

qwerty knows how to pull at my stomach strings.

I'll check Terra Mia out.

As for slices... Ray's has always served pizza that way... but it's not "spectacular"... I would describe their pizza as basic.

Sgt. Pep's I like because they use the mini crunchy pepperoni. Back in the day when their closest location was off of Bristol in Newport, I don't remember them selling slices and I though all their pizzas were square but I might be mixing that up with another place.

ZPizza used to have good slices but are gone... NY Upper Crust in Oak Creek would be my rec for slices... good size and ton of variety... and a bit cheaper than Sgt. Peps.

My other favorite place I used to go at UTC was White Mountain Creamery? Not sure if that was the name but it was an ice cream place and it was the first time I had a waffle cone.

I had business in Irvine last night and realized I was less than 2 miles from UTC, so I thought I'd go by the old In 'n Out for a Double Double.  Holy cow!  The traffic and congestion was nothing less than insane!!  I pulled into the parking lot off Bridge St. and immediately regretted it.  I decided to abort this ill-fated mission and it still took a ridiculous amount of time just to get back out of the parking lot, due to all the traffic just sitting around, going nowhere.

Liar Loan said:
I had business in Irvine last night and realized I was less than 2 miles from UTC, so I thought I'd go by the old In 'n Out for a Double Double.  Holy cow!  The traffic and congestion was nothing less than insane!!  I pulled into the parking lot off Bridge St. and immediately regretted it.  I decided to abort this ill-fated mission and it still took a ridiculous amount of time just to get back out of the parking lot, due to all the traffic just sitting around, going nowhere.

But that's at every In-and-Out to be honest. But yes, that plaza is always lively. Glory days when we were there in college. So much memories there. I have coworks always talk about their schools and always so glad to be moving to Irvine and made it their home. Different strokes for different folks.

The Chick-fil-A lines there are incredibly long too. That definitely made the traffic there worse than before (when there was a Lee?s or Denny?s).

The In-N-Out line moves rather well lately with the orders being taking earlier in the line.

But yes, there is a lot of traffic in those parking lots.

I'm not sure I've been to a parking lot that isn't crowded that has an In-N-Out.

What I don't understand is how Raising Canes causes traffic snarls... all they serve is chicken tenders and one sauce!

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty knows how to pull at my stomach strings.

I'll check Terra Mia out.

As for slices... Ray's has always served pizza that way... but it's not "spectacular"... I would describe their pizza as basic.

Sgt. Pep's I like because they use the mini crunchy pepperoni. Back in the day when their closest location was off of Bristol in Newport, I don't remember them selling slices and I though all their pizzas were square but I might be mixing that up with another place.

ZPizza used to have good slices but are gone... NY Upper Crust in Oak Creek would be my rec for slices... good size and ton of variety... and a bit cheaper than Sgt. Peps.

My other favorite place I used to go at UTC was White Mountain Creamery? Not sure if that was the name but it was an ice cream place and it was the first time I had a waffle cone.
I forgot that center used to have ZPizza and Rays for a while. 

zovall said:
The Chick-fil-A lines there are incredibly long too. That definitely made the traffic there worse than before (when there was a Lee?s or Denny?s).

The In-N-Out line moves rather well lately with the orders being taking earlier in the line.

But yes, there is a lot of traffic in those parking lots.
Before Lees I think it was a Hamburger Hamlet (or something like that). 

zovall said:
I remember a Denny's there before Lee's. Am I making that up?

Yes, the Dennys was there before Lees.  I used to deliver pizzas in Irvine about 20 years ago and a lot of the deliveries were to UCI.

I?ve been lurking in this forum for awhile, but this topic is the one to at finally convinced me to join.

Ray?s Pizza is great.  A total UCI institution.  Aside from the In N Out and Le Diplomat, it is the only shop in UTC that has survived since I went to UCI in the 90s.

I am going to be crushed when that place inevitably closes it?s doors.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
Terra Mia Pizzeria just opened up in Tustin (edinger/red hill) and has pizza by the slice. The Laguna hillls locations seemed highly rated on Yelp.

Tried this place out last week, pretty good... the Sicilian thick slice was the best.

Inspired this new thread:

Pizza by the slice
https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,18376.0.html

You don?t see many places with the thick pepperoni. I hope this place makes it. That plaza has had some turnover with its restaurants.

Hell yeah I love those cupped pepperonis. You can get them locally at Fresh Brothers but the best place I know of locally is Prince St Pizza in West Hollywood. (which is itself an outpost of the Prince St Pizza in Lower Manhattan)

Back