University of Georgia - Athens, GA

panda

Fall Term 2023. 43,090 applicants 15,900 accepted, 37% Acceptance rate. UGA will soon rival Georgia Institute of Technology as one of the top public universitiy in the U.S.

uga.jpguga.jpg

Last edited:
How many of you heard of University of Georgia? What is your perceived value about this college? In your mind is the brand recognition of UGA similar to that of a 2nd tier UC college or at the same level as Cal State University?

USC was a mediocre private school in 1990s. One of my high school friends had gotten into USC Marshall School of Business with a 2.7 GPA and 1060 SAT score (400 verbal / 660 math). Today USC is now a nationally recognized elite private university admitting only 11-13% of its students. How did this happen?

Last edited:
Is that all you know about UGA? I am assuming that no Asian Tiger Moms in Irvine has ever heard of UGA.

Last edited:
I didnt you know you had friends in GA. Which city are they at and do they enjoy living in GA? Did their kids attend UGA?

Last edited:
UGA's undergraduate Terry School of Business ranks #5 for Best Colleges for Business in America according to Niche.com

Last edited:
I didnt you know you had friends in GA. Which city are they at and do they enjoy living in GA? Did their kids attend UGA?
That's why I always tell you how bad the weather is. :)

I forget the exact city... I think one of their kids went to UGA on that free program.

That's why I always tell you how bad the weather is. :)

I forget the exact city... I think one of their kids went to UGA on that free program.
The Free program is the Hope Scholarship when your kids maintains a 3.0 GPA. All tuition is paid by this scholarsihp for GA residents. Does the UC schools also have something similar?

UGA's in-state tuition is $11,180 so $44,720 will be paid by HOPE. It is pretty sweet deal for GA resident parents to plan for early retirement.

Last edited:
I think % of Accepted Enrolled is trending in the wrong direction to really be considered an elite college. Dropping from 48% in 2013 to 37% in 2022 shows that UGA is seen as a backup school for the majority of applicants.

Last edited:
The Free program is the Hope Scholarship when your kids maintains a 3.0 GPA. All tuition is paid by this scholarsihp for GA residents. Does the UC schools also have something similar?
Only the CCs. UCs can't do that... they are impacted as it is.

Which makes me wonder how good UGA is if they have basically free tuition for good students. :)

Only the CCs. UCs can't do that... they are impacted as it is.

Which makes me wonder how good UGA is if they have basically free tuition for good students. :)

You don't think Emory or Georgia Tech have quality students? They also get free tuition for in-state residents.

UGA Student Demographics. Let's tie in College Admission with an Emerging Real Estate Market. Imagine the SAT Scores is the Adjusted Gross Income and the GPA of the student is the Networth. The second chart is the demographic change of Irvine from 1980 to 2010. What if I told you that the demographics of the student profile at UGA will start to look like Irvine's demographics in 2015. Would you believe me?

My high school friend who got into USC with a 2.7 GPA, 1060 SAT score, is now enjoying his Brand Equity Appreciation that keeps going up like Real Estate in Irvine ( My high school friend is like that guy who purchased a 4 bed / 2.5 bath 2400 sqft single family home in Northwood Pointe Irvine in 1997 for $250,000 and still owns that home today.

USC is now considered one of the most elite Private Schools in the Nation with an acceptance rate of 13%.

uga.jpgirvine.jpg

Last edited:
I
How many of you heard of University of Georgia? What is your perceived value about this college? In your mind is the brand recognition of UGA similar to that of a 2nd tier UC college or at the same level as Cal State University?

USC was a mediocre private school in 1990s. One of my high school friends had gotten into USC Marshall School of Business with a 2.7 GPA and 1060 SAT score (400 verbal / 660 math). Today USC is now a nationally recognized elite private university admitting only 11-13% of its students. How did this happen?
I have heard of UGA primarily because of college football - the home of Herschel Walker and Uga the bulldog. I had heard of Georgia tech because of basketball/football.

If you were to ask 10 Asian Tiger Moms in Irvine if they ever heard of a college called UGA (University of Georgia). Most likely 9 out of 10 moms would say they never heard of UGA for academics. If you ask them if they have ever heard of the college brands : University of Michigan, University of Virginia, or University of North Carolina ? Most likely 10 out of 10 moms will recognize these colleges. What if I were to tell you that UGA will ranked among the top public universities in 14 years and will become a nationally recognized College?

Demographics can predict the future of Real estate demand and prices. Can the change of demographics also predict a rising star among colleges like what USC was back in the 1990s?

2010 US NEWS College Ranking: #58
Acceptance rate : 56%

Student Demographic Profile for UGA (2010)

83% White
7% Asian
7% Black
2% Hispanic

Now look at the 1980 Demographics of Irvine in 1980.

85% White
8% Asian
2% Black
6% Hispanic

The UGA Student demographics in 2010, looked just like the demographics profile of Forsyth County, GA in 2010. One can purchase a brand new 4 bedroom / 2.5 bath 2400 sqft Single Family Home in the best high school cluster in Forsyth County, GA just under $180,000. These homes today have more than tripled in value. Could someone have been able to predict this in 2010. My answer is yes, by simpily studying the demographics trends and forecast of the local area. Similarly, the UGA college brand equity will more than triple in the value ranking among the top 30 universities in the next 14 years. Today Georgia Institute of Technology is the third most selective university to get into after UCLA & UC Berkeley. Admission rate for Tech was 61% in 2010.

Last edited:
What about the homes in Irvine you could get in 2010? I think I was searching for 3CWGs for $700-800k so they were around. New SFRs were definitely in the $700k range in 2010.

Where are the prices of those home now? I knew they would go up... someone else said we were just in for more pain... even over 3 years later after prices had risen.

Those $700k homes may not have tripled now in 2024 (or may have) but they are definitely over double.

Back