University High School versus Northwood High School

there is chinese school all across socal. they typically rent classrooms from a local school on saturday mornings. in my youth they had chinese school at vphs in north oc and uni high in south oc. its been a loooong time so don't know where they hold the classes these days.

structure of education is pretty standard. saturday 9am to noon -- 2 hrs of language instruction and 1 hr of elective -- wide range of choices from art, calligraphy, extended class time emphasizing conversation, even PE and martial arts.

this is how i had to spend my saturday mornings growing up instead of watching toons like other kids : ( so expect some pushback from the kids!

http://www.irvinechineseschool.org/

not in english for the most part but you can find the contact info and probably talk to them directly.

<p>skek --- we send our daughter to the South Coast Chinese Cultural Center in Northwood. Not sure how old your child is, but the formal Chinese language classes start at age 5, and are offered as both part of their after school program as well as weekend classes. I can't speak to the language classes yet as our child is still 4 and can't yet attend --- but she does take a ballet class there and we are really impressed so far. It's a first class facility. We plan on utilizing their after school program once she hits 1st grade --- they pick up from most Irvine elementary schools.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sccca.us/">http://www.sccca.us/</a></p>

<p>Good luck. IMHO it would serve our children very well to learn Chinese, regardless of their ethnic background. This is going to be a key language in the future of business. Personally, I'm shocked that IUSD does not offer a Mandarin immersion program, as this is becoming quite popular around the country. Even the school district I grew up in back in Minnetonka, Minnesota has a Mandarin immersion program --- and there are hardly any Chinese that live there. But what great vision from the adminstrators of that district to recognize the future business needs of the children, and get out in front of it. </p>

<p>C'mon IUSD --- Get with the program!!</p>

<p> </p>

<em>IMHO it would serve our children very well to learn Chinese, regardless of their ethnic background. This is going to be a key language in the future of business. </em>

Completely agree - it is a big plus for employers. Spanish is increasingly useful here as well.

There's a Chinese school that runs on Sunday from 9-12:30 at Irvine High on Walnut (I think). My girlfriend's brother is in it and it seems to be OK.

I was also in a Chinese school as a kid. Expect a lot of pushback from the kid. I used to get in weekly fights about going, but I really appreciate it now. In retrospect, it was stupid to want to watch Sat. morning cartoons over learning an important language like Mandarin.

In my youth we had a program called MGM -Mentally Gifted Minors. You got your IQ tested sometime ~3rd grade, and if you scored above a certain level (140 I think) you were segregated into the Gifted classes. You had to be in MGM to be in the Gifted class. This was our school district's way of maintaining segregation to stem the white flight that occurred in Pasadena after the Supreme Court ordered forced busing to end segregation in 1970. Of course when the school day was up I had to ride the school bus with all the junior gang members sporting khaki suits and jheri curls, and didn't they all love to pick fights with the Gifted kid? Toughened me up though.

I've heard that up here in SV the Gifted programs are so overrun with little Sergey Brins that they're more or less the normal class now. I believe this is a major factor in the number of academically focused preschools and elite private secondary schools up here. Unfortunately OC lacks the type of private schools found in L.A. or up north, so most will strive to send their kids to the best possible public school. To that end, does IUSD or TUSD have segregated Gifted classes where enrty is gated by a minimum test score?

most districts have a similar program in some form or another. sometimes it's called GATE (gifted and talented education) but sounds like the exact same program. iq test after 3rd grade.

<p>GATE (identified as gifted but clustered in the mainstream classes) and APAAS (highly gifted and segregated from the mainstream population). Testing every year for entry.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.iusd.k12.ca.us/parent_resources/gate/index.html">http://www.iusd.k12.ca.us/parent_resources/gate/index.html</a></p>

<p> </p>

GATE in orange unified was clustered classes at one designated school. so all GATE students in the district attended the same school no matter where you lived.

I am late to the UCI conversation here but I have to give my 2 cents. I have to defend my alma mater.

[quote author="Irvine Soul Brother" date=1206916843]55% of UCI applicants get acceptances. Not as impressive as UCLA, but remember UCI is like the ultimate back-up school, so they have to accept a lot of people who get in somewhere higher on the ladder.</blockquote>
First off UCI is not the worst UC out there... how about UCR, UCSC, UCD?

I got into USC and chose to go to UCI. Looking back at it I am absolutely thrilled that I went to UCI over USC. (My sister moved back home and commuted because she was actually afraid for her life while she went to USC)

Yes UCI is in boring Irvine, but I had soooo much fun there. It is all about what you make of where you end up, any other UC could be boring.

UCI is mainly a commuter school because MOST OF THEIR STUDENTS LIVE IN THE OC and go home every weekend (by choice or not) to be with their parents.

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1207565396]I am late to the UCI conversation here but I have to give my 2 cents. I have to defend my alma mater.

First off UCI is not the worst UC out there... how about UCR, UCSC, UCD?

I got into USC and chose to go to UCI. Looking back at it I am absolutely thrilled that I went to UCI over USC. (My sister moved back home and commuted because she was actually afraid for her life while she went to USC)

Yes UCI is in boring Irvine, but I had soooo much fun there. It is all about what you make of where you end up, any other UC could be boring.

UCI is mainly a commuter school because MOST OF THEIR STUDENTS LIVE IN THE OC and go home every weekend (by choice or not) to be with their parents.</blockquote>

Halfy, I don't know that anyone said that UCI is the worst UC out there. It's certainly quality, but pretty boring compared to others. . . I took 16 summer units there and I still go out there for academic stuff, and. . . no complaints. I'm getting to be about as boring as the school is.

"Unfortunately OC lacks the type of private schools found in L.A. or up north, so most will strive to send their kids to the best possible public school. To that end, does IUSD or TUSD have segregated Gifted classes where enrty is gated by a minimum test score?"

Unfortunately? I think it's great that there isn't the demand for that kind of thing in the OC. It's because many of the public schools are quality.

TUSD had time for the gated kids to meet in elementary school, and higher level classes (English, Social Studies) in middle school, akin to honors classes.

<a href="http://www.iusd.org/asp-bin/whichschool/">http://www.iusd.org/asp-bin/whichschool/</a>

look up assigned schools based on street name. just throw in some streets you know in each of the neighborhoods.

well, according to newsweek and their ranking of the <a href="http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380"><strong><span style="color: red;">top public high schools</span></strong></a> university is #152 and northwood is #382. don't tell AZDave that tucson has the #1 ranked school. i don't have childrren but anyone know anything about Troy in Fullerton? they're #28.

What website can get info on these national ranking for high schools. I want to compare Northview High School in Duluth, GA to Northwood High School in Irvine, CA. Which is school is ranker higher?

What happened to Woodbridge? Is Woodbridge the worst performing HS in IUSD?

University High #152

Northwood #382

Irvine #755

Although I don't really think their testing methodology of using a ratio of AP tests taken divided by number of graduating senors is an true indicator of performance, but rather of curriculum. I guess it's bragging rights one way or another. Looks like E&E;column is the number of students passing one or more AP tests...

Back