uni high highest in CA

Irvine got three in the top 500:

8    University
96  Northwood
477 Woodbridge

Not sure where Irvine High placed.

Too much emphasis on graduation rate and college matriculation rate (50% weight). There should be something that accounts for the quality of the colleges or universities that the high school graduates go to: i.e gives more weight to schools like UC Berkeley than schools like UC Riverside or Cal State.

No way Uni is the best high school academic wise in CA; somehow this scoring system bias against the best North Cal high schools which I think are more superior than South Cal counter parts.

Yup.. I agree the Newsweek High School ranking is a joke. I prefer www.schooldigger.com for my school ranking accuracy. In no way am I school snob, but certainly an important component on where to place my investment bets in real estate.
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/schools/8450008251/school.aspx- Northwood rank 49th out of 1650 school in Cali : White Asian Ratio: 89.45%
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/schools/8450007067/school.aspx- Uni High rank 63 out of 1650 school in Cali : White Asian Ratio: 86.71%

Panda said:
Yup.. I agree the Newsweek High School ranking is a joke. I prefer www.schooldigger.com for my school ranking accuracy. In no way am I school snob, but certainly an important component on where to place my investment bets in real estate.
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/schools/8450008251/school.aspx- Northwood rank 49th out of 1650 school in Cali : White Asian Ratio: 89.45%
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/schools/8450007067/school.aspx- Uni High rank 63 out of 1650 school in Cali : White Asian Ratio: 86.71%
Northwood HS > Uni HS

Being a new parent, I am conflicted about being in school district like Irvine.  While I appreciate the level of teaching and resources available, I wonder if it is good for a child to be subjected to so much pressure at 15 or 16.  I grew up in an middle class neighborhood where the schools were pretty good but not Irvine level.  I was able to get into a very good college and grad school. 

I have also seen many kids from high achieving districts have a hard time adjusting to college because the curve is now a C. 

high-expectations-asian-father-meme-generator-son-you-can-be-anything-you-want-doctor-or-engineer-01e870.jpg

Irvinecommuter said:
Being a new parent, I am conflicted about being in school district like Irvine.  While I appreciate the level of teaching and resources available, I wonder if it is good for a child to be subjected to so much pressure at 15 or 16.  I grew up in an middle class neighborhood where the schools were pretty good but not Irvine level.  I was able to get into a very good college and grad school. 

I have also seen many kids from high achieving districts have a hard time adjusting to college because the curve is now a C. 

I would want my kids to have a well rounded childhood.  If you are extremely smart but do not have good social skills, the executives will just sit you in the corner cubicles to work on stuff so you will make them gobs of money.

I think the academic foundation parents give you as well as the internal drive of the child has more of an impact on your success than the school you go to.  I was a product of the HORRIBLE LAUSD (please break up that district!) and I am doing pretty well for myself. 

I have seen bright students in crappy gang ridden schools be successful in life and I have seen well off students going to recognized private schools burn out and never make anything of themselves.

Yes, a good school will give a student a better chance at success but in the end, it is the individual who takes it over the finish line.

Still trying to figure out where the best environment would be for my kids.

A combination of hard and soft skills - parenting, schooling.

Being grounded - parenting, environment.

interesting read on subject of school brand vs actual individual ability for getting "elite professional" employement.

Confirming so many suspicions about Wall Street hiring, Lauren Rivera -- a 32-year-old sociologist who teaches management and organizations at Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management -- has concluded it's still where you went rather than what you did there that makes the difference. "Plus ?a change, plus c'est la m?me chose," she fittingly wrote in the journal Research in Social Stratification and Mobility. "The means of educational credentialism have changed, but the ends remain the same."

She says "elite professional service employers" rely more on academic pedigree than any other factor. For recruiters, it's prestige that counts, rather than "content" like grades, courses, internships, or other actual performance. That's because if you got into a "super-elite" school -- which essentially means Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Wharton (University of Pennsylvania), and Stanford -- you must be smart. Plus, time spent at those bastions in turn will make you "polished" and attractive to corporate clients. It is, according to Rivera, a largely self-perpetuating hiring process that prizes efficiency: Why spend effort looking for "that one needle in the haystack" at a "safety school" like the University of Michigan or, heavens forfend, Bowling Green, when the run-of-the-mill Yalie's still a prince. Even "second-tier" Ivies like Brown, according to Rivera, are suspect for the top firms.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/01/news/economy/ivy_league_advantage.fortune/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=hp_bn3

How much of these ranking are just due to genetics?  Uni resides in the richest part of Irvine thus the parents are most likely very successful and smart.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, right? 

Does the school make the student or does the student make the school?

Don't think it's genetics.  I think when children are provided with an advantage (educated parents with some money), chances are higher that they will follow in their parents footsteps. 

homer_simpson said:
I think when children are provided with an advantage (educated parents with some money), chances are higher that they will follow in their parents footsteps.
Very true.  So whether its genetics or upbringing, a kid's success will largely depend on who their parents are.  I personally do not believe there could be that much of a difference between Uni or Woodbridge.  But I bought a house in the Uni district because I know potential buyers really care about this.

NoSoup4U said:
homer_simpson said:
I think when children are provided with an advantage (educated parents with some money), chances are higher that they will follow in their parents footsteps.
Very true.  So whether its genetics or upbringing, a kid's success will largely depend on who their parents are.  I personally do not believe there could be that much of a difference between Uni or Woodbridge.  But I bought a house in the Uni district because I know potential buyers really care about this.

Potential buyers do care a lot about Uni.  When I sold my house that was zoned to Uni High, it was a major point for potential buyers.  The extra money people were willing to pay to buy a Uni house seemed a little misplaced to me if that was their reasoning to buy.
With the price difference they could have bought a cheaper house somewhere else (even in Irvine) and had enough money in the price difference to pay for tuition in a private high school which may have better academics than Uni.

I agree.  When people hear that my house is zoned for Uni, their eyes light up.  I don't care what some random ranking says about Uni vs Northwood.  Uni will always have the cache that Northwood won't.  It's like when some magazine ranks Yale ahead of Harvard.  If you get accepted to both, there is no way in hell that you don't go to Harvard.

NoSoup4U said:
I agree.  When people hear that my house is zoned for Uni, their eyes light up.  I don't care what some random ranking says about Uni vs Northwood.  Uni will always have the cache that Northwood won't.  It's like when some magazine ranks Yale ahead of Harvard.  If you get accepted to both, there is no way in hell that you don't go to Harvard.

this is true. a guy i know turned down a full scholarship to Wharton and paid out of pocket to go to HBS.

qwerty said:
...full scholarship to Wharton...
Wow.  I didn't even know Wharton gave out scholarships.  But yeah...that was a smart move by your friend.  Someone of that caliber should not even care about the 150k or so it costs to go to Wharton.

Back