Uneven error on top loading washers, Suspension Rod issues

momopi

I have a Kenmore Elite top loading washer made by LG that started giving UE (uneven/unbalaned) errors even when running self-cleaning cycle with empty drum. So I called for Sears/Kenmore service and the guy said my washer was 10 years old and the spring loaded suspension rods are likely worn, so he charged me $200 to replace them last year.

I watched him replace the rods and thought, duh, I could've ordered them from Amazon for half the price and installed it myself. Example:

All you had to do is pop the top, pull the rod out and install new ones. There are several youtube videos showing you how to do this.

Anyways, moving forward to present day, the washer started bugging out again with uneven error, even if I ran it in self cleaning or rinse cycle with empty drum. I thought the rods were replaced and couldn't be the issue, looked around the web for solutions including install additional springs attached to the drum (hook up between drum and washer body). Then someone said pulled the rods out and inspect it first.

Lo and behold, when I pulled the suspension rods out, whatever grease the installer used had dried to a crud. I had to pull them all out, clean them with #00 fine steel wool and re-lube & wipe them with ballistol. It was also a good time to give the washer's interior a good cleaning and wipe with ballistol. I had bad luck with WD40 and Remoil -- the rollers on bottom of my screen door was lubricated with WD40 and they rusted to point where they won't roll anymore (took them off and swapped them with rollers on top). The only grease I have in the garage is the stuff for battery terminals and I didn't want to use that. Ballistol works OK, but will require more frequent application vs professional grease. https://ballistol.com/

After reinstalling the rods, the washer is now behaving much better. But ballistol is fairly thin and won't last long. Does anyone have recommendation on long-lasting grease for this type of application?

Back