Unemployment Question

tmare_IHB

I was just asked a question at my school site and I have no idea. Much of our classified staff was notified that they were being laid off about a month ago. Many of them were planning on unemployment compensation to begin during the summer. Then, today (the last day of school) they were notified that they do have a job: a job for four hours a day with no benefits (as opposed to their 8 hour full benefits). Are they completely screwed now when it comes to unemployment benefits? Most of them cannot afford to work part-time with no benefits but they can't quit because if things change over the summer and they are reinstated to 8 hours and they have quit, they will lose their seniority (anyway, if you quit, you don't get benefits). It seems to me that they have technically been laid off since the job offer is really not for the same job. I'm sure this is another district maneuver to screw them out of benefits, anyone have any expertise or answer?

[quote author="effenheimer" date=1245385734]They would probably qualify for partial benefits. Best to check the EDD website.</blockquote>

I believe that this is the correct answer. The max benefit is $450/wk. If the weekly pay is less than this, then EDD should pay the difference to bring it up to $450/wk. If it's more, no extra benefit is given.

[quote author="JVNA" date=1245386125][quote author="effenheimer" date=1245385734]They would probably qualify for partial benefits. Best to check the EDD website.</blockquote>

I believe that this is the correct answer. The max benefit is $450/wk. If the weekly pay is less than this, then EDD should pay the difference to bring it up to $450/wk. If it's more, no extra benefit is given.</blockquote>

They don't work during the month of July at all and receive no paycheck. Thanks for the help, I'll let them know that they need to check the website.

[quote author="JVNA" date=1245386125][quote author="effenheimer" date=1245385734]They would probably qualify for partial benefits. Best to check the EDD website.</blockquote>

I believe that this is the correct answer. The max benefit is $450/wk. If the weekly pay is less than this, then EDD should pay the difference to bring it up to $450/wk. If it's more, no extra benefit is given.</blockquote>
Exactly correct, but the max weekly benefit is now $475/wk (thanks to Obama's bill passed in Feb).

The typical classified staff would not qualify for the max benefit. You need to make $47K per year equivalent to hit that mark.

My guess is most classified staff would make $20-25K or so per year, maybe a smidge more. I assume an hourly rate of around $15. That would put quarterly earnings at around $7500 or so and make the weekly benefit amount around $300.

If they work a reduced schedule of four hours per day, five days per week, at a rate of $15/hour, they would be at right around the $300 per week level. So their UI claim, which would provide for around a $300 per week benefit, would be reduced by the wages from less hours they were earning and net out to essentially zero.

They are screwed pretty much. If they quit, they'll not likely qualify for UI benefits. If the district was nice enough to fire them, they could make just as much per week via UI as they would working for four hours per day. Sucks for them...

Thanks, Ipo, I knew that if anyone around here knew the specifics, it would be you. The district is running typically at this point, screw the little guy in other words. Of course, they fired them a month ago effective today only to rehire them today at four hours, they could have done that at the end of the summer but now they don't have to pay unemployment.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1245396084][quote author="JVNA" date=1245386125]

The typical classified staff would not qualify for the max benefit. You need to make $47K per year equivalent to hit that mark.

My guess is most classified staff would make $20-25K or so per year, maybe a smidge more. </blockquote>

Fuzzy math? $450 or $475 /week * 52 weeks/year = $47K/year ??? ;-P

off-thread:

The cold hard fact is that the school districts don't have any money and have to make some very, very hard decisions that are going to hurt a lot of people. I've been working on a school construction project (outside OC) for the past six months -- getting one of those "shovel ready" projects actually ready for when the stimulus money actually appears. The engineering company I'm working for, and others in similar roles aren't getting paid because the school district we're working for can't sell the bonds they've been authorized. Voters said yes a year ago, but investors won't bite.

[quote author="GoIllini" date=1245445660][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1245396084][quote author="JVNA" date=1245386125]

My guess is most classified staff would make $20-25K or so per year, maybe a smidge more. </blockquote>

off-thread:

The cold hard fact is that the school districts don't have any money and have to make some very, very hard decisions that are going to hurt a lot of people. I've been working on a school construction project (outside OC) for the past six months -- getting one of those "shovel ready" projects actually ready for when the stimulus money actually appears. The engineering company I'm working for, and others in similar roles aren't getting paid because the school district we're working for can't sell the bonds they've been authorized. Voters said yes a year ago, but investors won't bite.</blockquote>

I don't think Ipo was saying that $475 a week is equivalent to 47K a year, he was just saying that $450-$475 is the max benefit you can get if that's what you make. The classified staff doesn't make anywhere near that.

[quote author="GoIllini" date=1245445660][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1245396084][quote author="JVNA" date=1245386125]

off-thread:

The cold hard fact is that the school districts don't have any money and have to make some very, very hard decisions that are going to hurt a lot of people. I've been working on a school construction project (outside OC) for the past six months -- getting one of those "shovel ready" projects actually ready for when the stimulus money actually appears. The engineering company I'm working for, and others in similar roles aren't getting paid because the school district we're working for can't sell the bonds they've been authorized. Voters said yes a year ago, but investors won't bite.</blockquote>

The amount of weekly benefit is determined by the highest quarterly amount earned in the last 12 months. So IPO is saying that you need to have earned $47k in the prior 12 months to get that max benefit.

Back