Umbrella Insurance

LOL, yes, maybe.  But with the motor court, and the Irvine lead foot, they might run over neighbors while backing out the 5 yard court?  :p

The California Court Company said:
irvinehusky said:
When I was living up in WA state, I was always scared of kids slipping on the ice in my driveway and gettting hurt and then getting sued so I made sure I was covered.

another good reason to buy a million dollar motor court home

$230 with Farmers for $1mil.  Maxed out all my auto coverage and have an overlap of minimum homeowners coverage of a half mil..

My buddy at work has a $5 mil umbrella and pays about $780.  He does need that coverage... 

1. does anyone know if umbrella insurance cover dog bite?
2. If the insured name is my father and I am over 21 age and we live in the same house hold, does his umbrella insurance covers me?

yaliu07 said:
2. If the insured name is my father and I am over 21 age and we live in the same house hold, does his umbrella insurance covers me?

1 - the umbrella is a rider to your existing policies to just increase the coverage. So if your underlying home owners policy covers for dog bites then your umbrella also covers dog bites. For dogs to be excluded there likely was a dog bite claim against the policy.

Regarding the second question, the owners insurance and umbrella cover the incidents at the house (injuries, etc). So the house is covered, not the people.

qwerty said:
yaliu07 said:

1 - the umbrella is a rider to your existing policies to just increase the coverage. So if your underlying home owners policy covers for dog bites then your umbrella also covers dog bites. For dogs to be excluded there likely was a dog bite claim against the policy.

Regarding the second question, the owners insurance and umbrella cover the incidents at the house (injuries, etc). So the house is covered, not the people.

what happen if my underlying home owner policy does NOT cover dog bite?  does this mean my umbrella insurance will NOT cover dog bite either?

That is correct. I know this because my dog bit someone.  He sued even though I offered him money - they got about 3 grand. Dog barely broke the skin, was more of a scratch because the bite was over pants. Now my homeowners excludes dogs/bites. So my umbrella excludes dogs/bites. It could vary by insurer but I doubt it

ps9 said:
wait qwerty dog bit someone?  Did the guy gain superpowers? 

we all know only spider bites will transfer powers :)

this was actually when we lived in irvine. old chinese guy. offered him $500 to call it a day. lawyered up thinking he was going to get rich. 6-7 months later he got 3K.  but he had to work for it. was going to physical therapy etc from the whiplash he says he incurred from turning around so quickly after the dog bit him.

ps9 said:
So now you're universally marked as dog bite claim in all insurance databases?  That sucks. 

yeah.  ill have to ask my agent, who is my buddies wife, to see how long the "biter" designation lasts in the insurance databases.  even when i was trying to get a quote from geico i think just to make sure my farmers insurance was competitive, geico wouldnt even give me a quote because of the dog bite. 

irvinehomeowner said:
No wonder you moved out of Irvine.

Control your pack Qwerter Millan!

that was actually my problem. thought i was cesar milan and put a little too much trust in the dog.  NO MAS.

It's good have have umbrella for additional protection.  I think it's worth it, especially when you have properties that cannot be transferred out of your name easily as someone else mentioned. 
Yes Safeco had me max out auto liability limit to $500,000 and with a 1M umbrella, you're covered for 1.5M.  Higher the better.  It's better to have more coverage then not enough

Just got a quote for $292/year for $2 million for my umbrella policy.  Ameriprise thru Costco.  Also have my homeowners and auto with them.  Auto liability is maxed at $250k/500k.  So $300 per year for some $2 million+ peace of mind.  Seems cheap.  Make sure I don't run over Kobe and I'll be ok.

$1 million is at $195. 

Back