UCI Baseball - Super regionals again

IrvineRealtor_IHB

Go 'Eaters!!!

As a former member of the "Zot Offense" (the last team that played before Title 9 struck the ballclub from the athletics budget for a while) I'm excited to see the boys doing so well.

They've got a tall order to beat LSU to get to the College World Series, but they've got a good shot.

[quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1212728718]UCI seems like a great school but I have always wondered why the hell did they choose "Anteaters". Are "Anteaters" OC Natives?</blockquote>

Anteaters were prevalent in the Irvine Ranch until about 150 years ago. Due to their costive nature, though, they were quickly over-hunted as more and more speculators came here and settled in the foothills. With a remarkably low fecundity, the large mammals were doomed to a slow extinction. The last of the original "irvine anteaters" died 14 years ago in the Santa Ana zoo. It was actually the last living animal the zoo was keeping.

The loss of this alpha animal has negatively affected the local ecostructure. Their extinction has resulted in the overabundance of another animal which expanded its habitat unabated by its former natural competitor. There has been extensive discussion on the blog about it already on this <span style="color: red;"><strong><a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2143/">thread</a></strong></span>.

Here endeth the totally made up history lesson.

Thanks for the history lesson IR2. It's just a funny mental picture for me to imagine an Anteater Mascot trying to bite a Tiger's tail at the UCI/LSU game . Hopefully UCI will do better on the field. :)

Are anteaters endangered elsewhere? We should import them! Ants are having too much fun here. I totally wouldnt mind seeing Anteaters around Irvine. Unless, do they have tempers or stink or anything like that?

Nice job, gentlemen. Way to cool off the hottest team in the nation in their own park!

ESPN story <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/baseball/recap?gameId=2815900991"><strong>here</strong></a>.

So disappointed in the result, but not the efforts...

Tough luck boys. We were 2 outs away in game 2! Great season and good luck in your futures.

Back