Typical cost for cleaning service?

SoOCOwner_IHB

After years of resistance, I finally broke down and hired a house cleaner. We have a two story 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. I really had no idea what a fair price was, but now that I'm checking with other folks, they tell me I'm paying too much. What is a fair price to pay for a cleaning service and what can I expect her to do for that amount of money? I'm paying $100.00 per visit.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1238029368]After years of resistance, I finally broke down and hired a house cleaner. We have a two story 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. I really had no idea what a fair price was, but now that I'm checking with other folks, they tell me I'm paying too much. What is a fair price to pay for a cleaning service and what can I expect her to do for that amount of money? I'm paying $100.00 per visit.</blockquote>

How long is a visit? I think we pay about $15 per hour for half a day

$125 for every 2 weeks. It is usually not dictated by the size of the house. The bath count, kid count, and pet count are the primary factor for pricing.

We pay $70 per week for about the same size house (3 bdr. 2 bath 2200 sq. ft.). This is for a 5-6 hour day.

I'm not sure how long she stays, but I think the first visit was probably all day. After the first visit, I can't image her having more than 4 hours of work per week. She did scoop the cat poo and clean the litter area, which I didn't expect, but appreciated greatly. Most people are telling me it should run $60.00 - $85.00 per week.

Also remember that most services or housekeepers charge a premium for every 2 weeks. They will generally charge less for once a week. You can definitely pay more with some companies but $60 to $80 sounds reasonable if it's every week and a private person not a company you have hired.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1238029368]After years of resistance, I finally broke down and hired a house cleaner. We have a two story 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. I really had no idea what a fair price was, but now that I'm checking with other folks, they tell me I'm paying too much. What is a fair price to pay for a cleaning service and what can I expect her to do for that amount of money? I'm paying $100.00 per visit.</blockquote>
If that is a weekly rate then that is a little on the expensive side. When my mom was younger, she could blow through your house like a tornado and be done with your place in 3-3.5 hours (my nickname for her is the cleaning queen). My mom owns her own housekeeping business, PM me if you want her contact info.

It sounds like I am definitely paying too much, as this is a weekly fee. If I can't renegotiate the price, I will PM you for more info. - thanks! I had a feeling this price was the result of the 5% "gated community fee" as I like to call it.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1238045662]It sounds like I am definitely paying too much, as this is a weekly fee. If I can't renegotiate the price, I will PM you for more info. - thanks! I had a feeling this price was the result of the 5% "gated community fee" as I like to call it.</blockquote>
No problem. Just you know though, she does charge a little more for the first cleaning (she calls it the "deep" cleaning) and then the rate goes down since he has your place cleaned to her perfectionist standards (yes, she is a perfectionist). haha

Back